Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Road with uneven surfaces.......
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Road with uneven surfaces.......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Advice may vary as I've noticed that the Ram trucks seem to have a stiffer spring pack. (?) They don't sag as much as the Ford.

My truck is a Ford and I don't recommend the lower Stable Loads - I have them and they do little except to make a harder ride when empty.

I have added the SuperSprings - they reduce sag and allowed the truck air bag pressure to drop from 75 psi to 45 psi.

I have not yet installed the upper StableLoads - which is what I probably should have done in the beginning - the upper overload spring does not currently engage (unless hitting large dips in the road).
Upper StableLoads would definitely engage the upper overload springs (on Ford). Rams may be different.

I will remove the SuperSprings and install the upper StableLoads when time and opportunity presents.

2014 Lance 1181
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

I've got the rears at 80 psi and the fronts at 70. It steers well, very straight when the surface is flat and not tilted.

You should go on the scales and adjust the pressure to actuall load.
I believe 70 psi front is too high.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon

What Year is your 2500 SRW truck??

I have a 2007 3500
Ran Michelins all the years we FT'd
YES they need 'wear in' miles...by 1000 miles they are done with that squiggle feeling

I tow heavy....with WET pin of 3100# (puts me right at RAWR)
I run 80# rear tires and 55# front tires
I do NOT have air bags......overloads are engaged when 5vr is hitched up

I know it's slightly different then having a camper on truck but weight is weight

I think you are running too high pressure in fronts (70#)

As suggested ...CAT scales to get weights with camper on truck
Compare actual weight being carried by F/R axles and adjust air pressures accordingly

No Scales...
Quick check is to use some 'side walk chalk' (big wide stick)
run chalk across tire thread side to side (big mark)\
Drive truck forward 25' and check wear on chalk
Chalk missing on center area...too much pressure
Chalk missing on inner/outer edges...not enough pressure
Even chalk missing across thread....right amount of pressure

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

bighatnohorse wrote:

Those tires can be inflated anywhere from about 65 psi to 80 psi.
What psi do they have now? Have you experimented with changing tire pressure yet?

I've got the rears at 80 psi and the fronts at 70. It steers well, very straight when the surface is flat and not tilted.

Are there any good solutions to getting the overload springs back in action? Since putting on the airbags the rear is so well supported, but is not allowing use of the overload springs.

I am aware of using bump stops or supersprings on the overloads..... just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for either since one or the other might be a better option based on someone's experience.

There are many solutions. Start readin. It's discussed here regularly.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent advice here everyone. I really appreciate it. I have an 02 Ram 2500 with 105 K miles because it's only used for the truck camper. I like the truck because it the last year you can go without smog check and I also like the mechanical injectors.
I think Supersprings are the way to go. Getting the springs to do their job sooner will allow lowering the airbag pressures thereby eliminating some of the bounce. Next is to get the front tires down around 55/65 psi like said above.

It was wonderful, even though fighting 'tilt steer' to go on a second unhurried trip before the snow flies in the California mountains. We had a really great time. I had to go on Highway 80 for about 25 miles. Wow what a nice surprise from memory, as the last time I was there with my beloved Grampa driving his Cadillac 47 yrs earlier. It was very nostalgic. The snow showed up at our favorite camps in northern Cali just a few days after we got home in Oregon.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Road with uneven surfaces.......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.