cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beware Camco Water Heater Tank Rinser

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of these to clean my hot Water tank. Five seconds after I started, the long tube blew off inside the water heater where it now permanently resides. I don't know what this means for the future of the water heater but would advise others to use extreme caution in using this poorly designed and manufactured device. Chuck
18 REPLIES 18

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, were you able to remove the tube?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just drain my camper water heater once a year. But, I am just a weekend camper and I carry my water to the park in my freshwater tank so I know that it is good water.

I can't drain the water heater in my home there is no drain. And, I'm not sure but, I think the tank might be made of plastic.

I hope you have good luck getting it out of the tank.

Route_66_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking from actual experience in removing the tube, that will not work because the tube is rigid and will not bend. The tube will be laying on the bottom of the tank in a horizontal position lengthwise.

The only possible way to remove it is to remove the heating element and try and grab the tube with a locking hemostat, move it a bit and use a second pair of hemostats to grab it a bit further down the tube, and then repeat until you can grab it close to the end, then carefully pull it out the opening. I got mine out on the 4th try. It takes a lot of patience and a few choice words, but it can be done.

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Why do ya feel the need to rinse your water heater ? Do you rinse the one in your house ?

Yes, twice a year. Not really a rinse like the RV heater, more of a drain off of a couple of gallons and all the sediment on the bottom.

For the OP I would suggest flushing from above thru the temp/pressure relief valve and as the water rushes out the bottom stop and start a couple of times and see if the tube seeks the opening.

Good Luck
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

Route_66_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem about a year ago. It took me almost two weeks of trying various solutions to finally get it out of the tank. Mine is an Atwood so there is no way it was going to come out the drain hole because of the size and angle. I got one of those small cameras and inserted it into the heating element mounting hole and could see that it was lodged underneath the gas heating tube.

I tried blasting it with compressed air, didn't budge. I made up another water tube connected to the hose and tried moving it that way...didn't budge. I finally tried refilling and draining the heater and after the third try the tube moved to where I could see it laying on the bottom of the tank fairly close to the heating element hole. I had to have my wife shine a flashlight into drain hole in order to see inside the tank. I then used 2 pairs of 12 inch locking Hemostat Forceps to finally grab and remove the plastic tube. The "Mechanical Fingers" that was linked to on the previous page did not work. It was difficult to get into the hole and when I did get it in the right position it didn't grip the tube tight enough for removal.

I contacted Camco about my problem and frankly they could have cared less. All they said was they didn't think it would cause a problem. I told them it was a poor design and the grey tube was susceptible to splitting and coming off the hose adapter. If you decide to use this product be sure you use a small hose clamp to secure the grey tube to the hose adapter nipple. If you see any splits in the tube cut off the damage piece and reinstall it and use a hose clamp.

I also put a clamp on my Camco fresh water fill device to keep it from going into the fresh water tank...

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
I put a small hose clamp on the Camco fresh water filler tube. It stays on real well now.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Why do ya feel the need to rinse your water heater ? Do you rinse the one in your house ?

Yes once a year I do drain/flush my residential water heater
Also check the Anode Rod .....usually have to replace at 4th year

Scale/calcium etc build up in bottom...draining/flush helps control that build up
RV/Residential ....same/same except for tank size
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
I read about the problem with the Camco fill nozzle on here years ago and when I got one I used a little Plumber's Goop to make sure it wouldn't come apart.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, I drain the one in my house every few years to get any rust or other crud out of the bottom of the tank. Have done that routine for about 60 years or so. :E

After a year of use, you would be amazed at what comes out of the water heater if you blast some water around in there. It depends on where you camp and what the quality of the water is in your rig but most campgrounds have relatively hard water which leaves white deposits behind on the heating rods and other parts of the heater.

I have had as much as a whole cup or more of the crud break loose and come out of mine after camping for the summer and then spending the winter in a campground in Florida. I would always clean and drain the water heater before we returned to Michigan in the spring.

I just use the Camco wand with the J bend at the end. It provides a lot of velocity to the water which breaks up the crud inside. Mine is probably 10 or 12 years old and will definitely look at it closely next spring when our trailer is opened up again to be sure the tube is securely fastened.

I also have one of those long wire grippers as was linked. It is used a lot to get coins out of my wifes clothes dryer here at home and have used it for many other purposes also. A must have in anyone's toolbox in my opinion. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
If Atwood drain hole is only 1/2" opening...may be too small to use grabber and pull tube out

Suburban has 3/4" drain hole and MIGHT be able to use grabber

Personally I would remove element ...1" Opening

Plastic....Suburban WH it could get stuck between combustion/exhaust 'U' tube which is STACKED on top of each other.
Plastic up against combustion/exhaust 'U' Tube can melt
Less chance with Atwood due to diagonal 'U' Tube...
Water temps could reach 170*/180*F if T-STAT Fails which could make that cheap plastic very soft/pliable (heck 130*/140*F might also...don't know temp rating of that cheap plastic)

Remove it...be done with it....why leave it to cause problems
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
just leave the plug out, turn on water and plastic piece should work its way to the hole...then grab with some needle nose pliers.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I would ignore it. it's a plastic tube it's not going to hurt anything.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
chuckbear wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
Try one of these, you'll have to be extremely patient & lucky, but it beats leaving that thing in there.

Thanks. I have ordered one of these. Hope it does the job. Chuck
Good Luck, just remember, it's like fishing in the dark, and if it doesn't work, it's always handy around the house for other things.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund