Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do we have to winterize if we use our RV during the winter?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do we have to winterize if we use our RV during the winter?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

While there are certainly ways around it, I'd advise winterizing everything at risk- multiple times if called for. It's just not that much effort and if you are wrong, the expense/aggravation can be huge.

Perhaps adding some thermometers to check 1st thing each morning could give you a better idea how cold those critical spots are actually getting overnight.

x2. Sometimes temperatures dip without much warning; I would winterize it and then it is not a worry. It doesn't take much effort/time/expense to do it.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m in Georgia, and in the winter it may be in the teens for a few days, and then in the 70’s in a few days, so I winterize a multiple times per year. I’ve gotten it where I can winterize pretty quickly.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are not going to have it heated, for 3 weekS
YES winterize
A sudden hard freeze could damage your rv , if not winterized

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/20 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will need to use an electric space heater to keep the temperature well above freezing. In addition there are some other areas of concern such as the HW tank. In most RVs the tank receives little heat. If the temps start dropping into the 20s or below you might want to turn on the HW heat in the evening at least to warm up the water in the tank.

I would also recommend you get a remote temperature sensor so you can track the temperature from inside the house. I thought I had everything working but snow pushed down on the power cord to the point where the space heater stopped working. Fortunately I had winterized the water system and only lost some food items.

RV antifreeze is pretty cheap. You might want to winterize, not have to worry about freeze damage and save the cost of electricity for the space heater.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

forrman wrote:

We live in Southern Utah, where temperatures are starting to dip in the low 30s and high 20s at night. But during the daylight hours temperatures are in the high 40s to Lowe 50s. We still plan to go camping every 3-4 weeks from now through the Spring. Do we still need to winterize bnow and de-winterize right before our next trip?

There is no simple answer as we have no idea how well your rv is insulated. Nor do we know how cold it gets during the winter where you will be camping or where the unit is stored.
Winds with below freezing temps can cold soak a rv and freeze water/drain lines even with the furnace going. RV trailers don't all have the same floor/walls/roof R values.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also remember that most forecast temps are for 'the airport' or a central to everybody spot. Microclimates exist everywhere.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

forrman wrote:

We live in Southern Utah, where temperatures are starting to dip in the low 30s and high 20s at night. But during the daylight hours temperatures are in the high 40s to Lowe 50s. We still plan to go camping every 3-4 weeks from now through the Spring. Do we still need to winterize bnow and de-winterize right before our next trip?

There is no simple answer as we have no idea how well your rv is insulated. Nor do we know how cold it gets during the winter where you will be camping or where the unit is stored.
Winds with below freezing temps can cold soak a rv and freeze water/drain lines even with the furnace going. RV trailers don't all have the same floor/walls/roof R values.

There is a simple answer to this, we live in the PNW near Portland. Temps in winter can get into the high teens, when we would get back from a trip I would look at upcoming weather and if mild would just park it in the storage yard.
If the weather looked to turn cold, I would go and use compressed air and blow the lines and drain the W/H, put pink stuff in the drains. This process usually took about 30 minutes once at the yard.
I never put pink stuff in the water lines as DW could taste it for weeks, and most the parks we went to in winter were not full hookup making flushing difficult.
There were winters I did this six times, other winters might be once.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not aware of a spot in Southern UT that is not subject to hard freezes during the winter, regardless of what the "average" temperatures are.

Are you saying you'll be around to babysit the trailer daily depending on temperatures?
If you're OCD about watching the weather and around, then it may be fine.
At the temps you said, it IS fine, but you may not have thought it through.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no easy answer. Conditions vary by climate and by RV.

It was 27° when I hitched up at 6:30 this morning. It was chilly enough indoors that I didn't want to get up. Once I got moving though, I couldn't believe how cold, sluggish, and crunchy everything was in my pickup while all my tools and accessories were toasty warm and pliable in my storage bays. The ducting for our furnace is good, but not great, which means that the basement stays pretty warm.

Ditto for the cupboards. It was nice and warm when I opened the cupboards under the bathroom and kitchen sinks.

So for us, a few nights where the overnight temps dipped into the 20s with 45° daytime highs worked out just fine. I wouldn't chance it if it were much colder though.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had been putting off doing my "Arizona" winterizing but we had a dusting of snow last night and a few flurries through the afternoon. With the forecast calling for sub freezing temps from 11 through 8 tomorrow morning I finally decided it was time to "Git er done."

Drove over to the nearby Giant gas station and their free dump sites and drained both tanks. I then drained all of the fresh water from the coach and drove around with the valves open until
the remaining water in the lines had cleared the coach. Added the RV antifreeze to the sinks, shower, and about a quart each in the black and gray tanks.

Parked our 24' Class C back in the driveway and hooked up a small AC heater, put it on low {1,300 watts} with the fan at the minimum setting. I opened the lower drawers and cabinets and for good measure turned on my tank heaters. This is probably overkill for a long night at 26 - 30 degrees but it could easily get a lot colder without warning.

I'll check the coach before going to bed and of course in the morning when I will turn off the heaters and expect this to work well. Film at eleven...

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do we have to winterize if we use our RV during the winter?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.