Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Tranny overheated
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Tranny overheated

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
kfp673

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was not planning on having them change the fluid since it’s only 26k miles, but now you have me thinking. Going to call back in the morning to discuss. And yes it was overheat. I have the larger dash display and it actually says those words “Your Transmission is too hot”. That was on just for a few minutes until I pulled over and it went off. THe regular engine light did go on and stayed on as well but the truck did say the tranny was too hot. I was kind of hoping they had to drop the pan and the service would be included, but they are telling me these solenoids are mounted to the side of the transmission and the pan and tranny do not really need to be touched. Again, I’ll call in the morning to discuss the fluid change.

Thanks again all!

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/20 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pan needs to be dropped to change the solenoids, basically the entire valvebody. So about 5 qts of fluid will be changed out. And yes I've seen those solenoids fail before.

On my vehicles that towed or hauled I changed the trans fluid every 25k miles. Overkill, maybe, but a trans fluid change is cheaper than a trans. Although the new 8 speed fluid is pricey!!!!! The 6 sped still uses ATF+4


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


rhagfo

Portland, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/06/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/10/20 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

I was not planning on having them change the fluid since it’s only 26k miles, but now you have me thinking. Going to call back in the morning to discuss. And yes it was overheat. I have the larger dash display and it actually says those words “Your Transmission is too hot”. That was on just for a few minutes until I pulled over and it went off. THe regular engine light did go on and stayed on as well but the truck did say the tranny was too hot. I was kind of hoping they had to drop the pan and the service would be included, but they are telling me these solenoids are mounted to the side of the transmission and the pan and tranny do not really need to be touched. Again, I’ll call in the morning to discuss the fluid change.

Thanks again all!


Well if you use the digital speedometer, the engine temp, trans temp, oil temp, and oil pressure is one menu down. I find it hard to believe you have had this truck for two and a half years and didn’t look into the information center options.

* This post was edited 11/10/20 11:20pm by rhagfo *


Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"


ACZL

UPstate,NY

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/11/20 01:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tho I have a Ford, I'm w/ dodgeguy on changing tranny oil every 25-30k. Likewise, I still drop oil every 5k as well Like DG said, "Oil is cheaper than........"

On a side note, this thought came to mind as I was reading the updates and suggestions and all. Why can't mfr's design the software to have the engine fan come on (even tho water temp is ok) if a sensor is telling the computer something is getting hot and to draw more air thru to try and cool things down?


2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

kfp673

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/11/20 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

The pan needs to be dropped to change the solenoids, basically the entire valvebody. So about 5 qts of fluid will be changed out. And yes I've seen those solenoids fail before.

On my vehicles that towed or hauled I changed the trans fluid every 25k miles. Overkill, maybe, but a trans fluid change is cheaper than a trans. Although the new 8 speed fluid is pricey!!!!! The 6 sped still uses ATF+4


Good info thanks! I just researched and am seeing videos saying this same thing so I guess the service advisor is wrong. Hopefully they change the filter while in there but I guess I should not assume they will. Thanks again!

pitch

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 06/08/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/11/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not assume anything. Tell them that they willchange the fluid under warranty.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/06/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/11/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

The pan needs to be dropped to change the solenoids, basically the entire valvebody. So about 5 qts of fluid will be changed out. And yes I've seen those solenoids fail before.

On my vehicles that towed or hauled I changed the trans fluid every 25k miles. Overkill, maybe, but a trans fluid change is cheaper than a trans. Although the new 8 speed fluid is pricey!!!!! The 6 sped still uses ATF+4


Good info thanks! I just researched and am seeing videos saying this same thing so I guess the service advisor is wrong. Hopefully they change the filter while in there but I guess I should not assume they will. Thanks again!


I don't have my owners manual handy, but I believe the first scheduled service for the 68REF is at 100K+ miles.
I always felt the best practice is to watch the engine and trans temperatures. I have my instrument cluster set on our 2016, when one menu down from digital speedometer is the temperature screen. I watch my temps even where I have a HO Diesel and Aisin trans, and towing about half of towing capacity.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/11/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Do not assume anything. Tell them that they will change the fluid under warranty.


I've never seen a warranty repair include fluids that were required to complete the repair. The parts replaced are warranty, but not the fluids.

I've been down that road multiple times on various vehicles from different manufacturers.


2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/11/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fluids are covered under a warranty provided they are being replaced due to the repair. I`ve yet to see any warranty deny fluid if it was being replaced as part of a repair.

And yes I do believe the first "rcomended" service is 100k miles. but as I have said the fluid is cheaper than a trans. and even if you say "well I have a warranty" its still better than sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. and potentially ruining a vacation. granted this failure isn't the result of a missed fluid change, it just shows that when fluid gets hot it should be replaced.

kfp673

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/11/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Called this morning and asked the service guy to confirm with the tech that the pan does need to be dropped and fluids would be replaced which he did confirm. So they replaced the solenoid pack and also found another part had failed I think he referred to as the trans "brain". Left the receipt out in the truck and forget exactly what it is called, but they replaced that as well. So because it did require the pan drop the fluid replacement was covered which I believe was 7qts. So not a full flush but a typical fluid change which I was happy to hear. Picked it up a few hours ago and it seems to be back to normal. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks all for the feedback over the past few days!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Tranny overheated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.