Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Tranny overheated
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tranny overheated

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm guessing they put a valve bidy in it. Those have the computer built into it and need to be programmed. Yes they take about 7 qts and is more than enough for a fluid change. I say do the next fluid change at 50k miles.

* This post was edited 11/14/20 09:21am by an administrator/moderator *

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well May I say it is time you dig into your owners manual, and understand the Information Center. I can see digital engine coolant, transmission fluid, and engine oil temperatures, along oil pressure is one screen below the digital speedometer. This menu is accessed simply by pressing the down arrow on the left spoke of the steering wheel.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Well May I say it is time you dig into your owners manual, and understand the Information Center. I can see digital engine coolant, transmission fluid, and engine oil temperatures, along oil pressure is one screen below the digital speedometer. This menu is accessed simply by pressing the down arrow on the left spoke of the steering wheel.

X2.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it didn't actually overheat and it was just an electronic issue, then a pan drop and replacing half the fluid is fine.
If it did overheat, I'd want to see the fluid, at a minimum, which I'm guessing you didn't check. And regardless, I'd do a complete fluid replacement.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Of these things you list trans fluid temp is the one I don't currently have showing. I have my trailer break gauge showing instead but I will add it for sure. That said, the overheat did not happen until long after that limp mode kicked in so not sure what it would have done for me, but I guess it's nice to see if it is creeping up in temp.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are correct in that your temps were rising but you didn't know it. Had you had the page with the engine, trans and oil temps and oil psi on, you should've been able to watch the temps rise.
My trans temps run around 168-172 under all normal driving and towing conditions. Only when I get to a steeper grade and it's warm to hot out does the trans temp rise. If my trans temp hit 180+ and I was under normal conditions that would've been a sign that somethings not right.
Anyway nice to see your dealer is getting it fixed.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/20 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My '13 Ram 1500 runs approximately 80 degrees above ambient.

* This post was edited 11/14/20 09:20am by an administrator/moderator *

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats a lot of variance. So at 40* your trans temp is 120 and at 90* your trans temp is 170?

* This post was edited 11/14/20 09:18am by an administrator/moderator *

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also keep in mind the only thing a trans flush flushes is your wallet. Just have a proper fluid and filter change

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tranny overheated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.