Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: 30 foot limit
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> 30 foot limit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 03:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We almost exclusively camp in national parks and monuments. Our rig is under the 24 foot length. Because we travel without campsite reservations, our short length has saved us a number of times.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

rockylarson

Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm 31.5, more like 50 with tow. Don't normally overnight in places that have length restriction. Not that I check, just not our style. Turns out some of them did. I will say I have had second thoughts on many access roads to campgrounds and remote attractions where there should have been a warning but were none. Only had to disconnect and turn around twice in 16 years and 110,000 miles.

If it is paved on the way in it is better than gravel. Also reading branch clearance and trunk rub/damage will come with experience. Be especially aware of roof top side clearance because rough terrain can cause a foot or more of unexpected sway.
Good Luck Have Fun Stay safe.

Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 25 refuges with 8000 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

..... The longer the RV the fewer camping spots that will accommodate said RV....Especially at busy campgrounds without reservations...

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on your style of camping regarding hookups you might choose to stay outside the national parks

There are 50 National Parks in the lower 48 including the newest White Sands and Gateway Arch in St. Louis
Of the 50 - 34 do not have hookups or any camping - 8 have full hookup and 8 have electric only

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
374 Campgrounds,85K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1858 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not found length to be a problem yet but I can see how it could be a problem.

what I have found so far:
1. The entrance apron is too steep and the rear over hang drags entering the site.
2. The site itself is not level enough.
3. Overgrown vegetation. I have found state park managers with issues trimming trees that scrape my roof and sidewalls.
They advertise and charge for an rv site and ask 'how many feet long you are" but the entrance to the sites are often only wide or tall enough to fit cars.
I am not possibly damaging and scraping my rv on tree branches and shrubs, I have asked at the park offices that their advertised rv sites are too size restrictive. They usually send someone with a pole trimmer to cut branches back.
UV over time makes roof vents and skylights too brittle to play games with even thin low tree branches.

* This post was edited 11/09/20 12:05pm by bobndot *

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

Depending on your style of camping regarding hookups you might choose to stay outside the national parks

There are 50 National Parks in the lower 48 including the newest White Sands and Gateway Arch in St. Louis
Of the 50 - 34 do not have hookups or any camping - 8 have full hookup and 8 have electric only

That's news ... some National Parks don't allow camping of any type?? I thought that was what "park" meant.

I know National Monuments and the various National Preserves and Reserves don't allow camping, I would have thought that a very high percentage of National Parks allowed some type of camping - at least tent camping and car camping. Many car camping spots on public lands can take at least a Class B or small Class C motorhome for drycamping.

We have a small Class C and sometimes I'd like to camp in the drive-in tent camping areas of public lands, but often that is not allowed even if one has a motorhome small enough to fit.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

I know National Monuments and the various National Preserves and Reserves don't allow camping
Just FYI: Many national monuments offer camping. We've camped in many.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

pnichols wrote:

I know National Monuments and the various National Preserves and Reserves don't allow camping
Just FYI: Many national monuments offer camping. We've camped in many.

Thanks Ron for the info.

Our experience with just a few National Monuments has been that they were for day trip visiting only at certain very special places and that they were not necessarily very large in land acreage, unlike other public land areas where camping is allowed. Maybe this is just due to our experiences here in the West, as other types of public land areas out here can be expansive and maybe more suitable for camping.

We would really prefer to drycamp at National Preserves for their pristine settings, quietness, and closeness to nature - but it's very rare that they allow camping at the few we've checked out. We have just been able to drive through some for observing, taking pictures, day-hiking, and maybe picnicking.

We are by no means well versed in our knowledge of these areas, however.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campsitephotos.com

I use this for viewing state park sites but I think they have been adding private CG's as well.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many state park and COE sites that I book have limits for each individual sites. As an example, I was looking for a site at a FL state park, and my camper is 32'6", and I had 33' in the criteria for camper length, and nothing was available, I changed the length to 32' and one site was available, and sure enough the max site length was 32'. I started looking at each site, and the max length was different for each site.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> 30 foot limit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.