cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pure sine wave inverter suggestions?

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like suggestions for a 1000W pure sine wave inverter.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
37 REPLIES 37

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
No worries, 2112.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry I got your hopes up only to tell you this converter won't work for your application.

2 problems:
It's only good for 360W at 12V
If you do indeed have a smart charger, you can't replace it with this converter and expect it to work without developing additional circuits. The BMS tells the charger what to do.

We were debating if you should without determining if you could.

FWIW: I have 3 of these converters in use for different purposes without issue. One boosts my TV voltage to my FW battery to a constant 14.2V to recharge my battery while driving if needed. I have a toggle switch to remove it from circuit if not needed. Another in my boat to recharge my 24V trolling motor battery bank. The third runs a 48V hoist. I have a fourth on the shelf as a spare but haven't needed it.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
What's your charge current requirement? Are they lithium batteries with internal battery management system?

The factory charger has an output of 48VDC, 650W maximum, 13.5A maximum.
I don't know exactly what the battery will draw.....yet. And yes, it is a LiFePO4 battery with a built-in BMS.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 to stick with providing sine wave 120 volt power to the factory charger on a lithium electric bike.

Explorer II
Explorer II
What's your charge current requirement? Are they lithium batteries with internal battery management system?
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless if we call DC to DC converter an inverter, or not, Wikipedia gives them typical efficiency 75% to 98%, where I believe 98% applies t step-down converters. Meaning they don't have to be more efficient than inverter + converter combo.
Owners of those report them getting really hot, what not only raise efficiency questions, but also brings additional hassle about finding placement with good ventilation in stuffed camper .

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of that voltage converter. I could use it to charge the bike battery directly with 12VDC input and 45VDC output.

On a sunny day, I could even, theoretically, charge directly from the solar panels.

Believe me, I know that going from DC -> Inverter -> AC charger -> DC battery charging is inefficient. I am looking for better options but the last thing I want to do is damage that $800-1000 bike battery....or myself.

2112, thanks for the idea.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
2112 wrote:
I think that thing generates 150kHz DC pulses and smoothes and regulates them to a higher DC output voltage very efficiently. It's a DC input switching power supply. Going through an inverter to create true AC, and then an AC to DC charger is an inefficient, but simple approach. Maybe 70% efficient at best.

So you are saying that generating modified wave and stepping up voltage is not making it inverter?
I tought I know something about electricity, but evidently not.
Maybe our definition of an inverter differ.

Regardless, I was just pointing out an efficient alternative to OP if it meets his power requirements.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
I think that thing generates 150kHz DC pulses and smoothes and regulates them to a higher DC output voltage very efficiently. It's a DC input switching power supply. Going through an inverter to create true AC, and then an AC to DC charger is an inefficient, but simple approach. Maybe 70% efficient at best.

So you are saying that generating modified wave and stepping up voltage is not making it inverter?
I tought I know something about electricity, but evidently not.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
2112 wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
I need to charge an electric dirt bike. Its charger is AC only and I will pay the extra for a pure sine wave inverter. I had a MSW inverter for my microwave and it really did not like the MSW.

My CPAP runs from 12VDC.

Thanks all.
Why not just boost the DC with something like THIS? There is a lot of loss converting DC to AC then back to DC

That's an interesting product. Thanks, I'll look into it.

What do you think that thing is?
DC to DC chargers are inverters with converters in the same unit.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
2112 wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
I need to charge an electric dirt bike. Its charger is AC only and I will pay the extra for a pure sine wave inverter. I had a MSW inverter for my microwave and it really did not like the MSW.

My CPAP runs from 12VDC.

Thanks all.
Why not just boost the DC with something like THIS? There is a lot of loss converting DC to AC then back to DC

What do you think that thing is?
DC to DC chargers are inverters with converters in the same unit.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
As far as wire size goes, that has to do with length as well. Without knowing how far the run is from the inverter to the battery, itโ€™s hard to say what wire size is appropriate.

Pure vs Modified used to have a lot do with price, but as cheap as the PSWโ€™s are, I canโ€™t see a lot of reason to buy a MSW right now. That being said, I think some devices like a cell phone charger or voltage adapter on a TV probably wonโ€™t care since they just step down the voltage and convert AC to DC.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking for the same...It's hard to overlook the GoWise and the Kinverch (Potek)1000W,both under $150..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Geewizard wrote:

My CPAP runs from 12VDC.

Thanks all.