Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: White Knuckle Trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
myerind

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a 2001 Rialta QD recently. It slept 2-3 which is all I needed. I wanted an RV that handled well and was easy on gas. Because of the age, I expected to have to do a few upgrades. Because of the interest shown in this forum, I installed a transmission cooler

My first trip was into Michigan which went well. I found a few problems, but nothing serious.

My second trip was a little more adventurous. I was going to visit Utah's National Parks from Arches to Zion. Through what I call the flatlands everything went well. The problems started West of Denver. There are two stretches of 6% grade. The RV shifted from D to 3rd as expected, but was still not making progress. I shifted to 2nd and was able to stabilize at 40 mph. Meanwhile, semis and larger RVs were passing me easily. During this stretch and for the rest of the trip, it was white knuckle driving waiting for something to blow up. Once I got back to the flatlands, everything was fine.

I'm sure that many of the members have driven this route. My conclusion is that either the Rialta is under powered or that I have a problem with the transmission or engine. I am assuming that the interest in transmission cooling has to do with mountain driving.

So, my question is under powered or something else?

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your Rialta is twenty years old! It’s a Volkswagen chassis. Last tune up?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know nothing of that particular rig, but I would point out that unless the engine is turbocharged, you lose a lot of power at altitude. I know that stretch of road goes from 5,000 feet to 11,000 feet, and non-turbo vehicles suffer greatly at those altitudes. That is one reason there are so many diesel recommendations here; diesels are almost always turbocharged and suffer no loss of power at altitude.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

I know nothing of that particular rig, but I would point out that unless the engine is turbocharged, you lose a lot of power at altitude. I know that stretch of road goes from 5,000 feet to 11,000 feet, and non-turbo vehicles suffer greatly at those altitudes. That is one reason there are so many diesel recommendations here; diesels are almost always turbocharged and suffer no loss of power at altitude.

That loss is roughly 3 percent for every 1,000' of elevation. Do the math... at 8,000' you have lost 24 percent of your flatland HP. As noted turbocharged engines are immune but for most of us its can be a significant challenge out here in the west.

There are lots of gremlins that could be hurting the rigs performance from clogged fuel and/or air filters to simply needing a tuneup. You should expect better performance than that. Good luck.

[emoticon]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

40 up that hill is just fine. Toward the end I am in low gear at about 28 mph. Beautiful and wonderful drive.
Last time I went over was eastbound and traffic was so bad westbound it was all bumper to bumper 5 to 15 mph. Road was closed 2 hours for me due to a car cut off a big rig that had one front tire hanging off the edge as we finally creeped by. Just drive steady with your speed and traffic and you get over just fine in the slow lane. Patience is all you need.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's the nature of a small VW engine with 19 yr old technology and no turbo. You could possibly do a few things to slightly improve it. But it is what it is.

Shift down and stay in the right lane. Plan your route if possible to avoid grades like that, but they are not unusual.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 12:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds pretty normal to me? Given that it's a large vehicle with a low powered engine, going up a grade in higher altitude is gonna be hard and it's gonna have to work.. (ie higher rpms)

Try pushing a wheelbarrow up an incline with a load in it compared to on the flat land..

Anyway, not sure why semis passing you is "white knuckle", but I was not there and probably missing some points along the way too..

4000 rpms is loud for sure, but that's probably the peak power range of your engine, so it's just doing what it needs to do..

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

Sounds pretty normal to me? Given that it's a large vehicle with a low powered engine, going up a grade in higher altitude is gonna be hard and it's gonna have to work.. (ie higher rpms)

Try pushing a wheelbarrow up an incline with a load in it compared to on the flat land..

Anyway, not sure why semis passing you is "white knuckle", but I was not there and probably missing some points along the way too..

4000 rpms is loud for sure, but that's probably the peak power range of your engine, so it's just doing what it needs to do..

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

I was going to write pretty much the same thing. Nothing about the story is "white knuckle", so unless there is more to the story...

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know anything about Rialtas so I did a search and came up with this very informative page: Rialta. It talks about engine size as well as everything else. Looks like yours is one year too early for the better (bigger) engine.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

myerind

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mitch

It wasn't the semis, but the stress I thought I was putting on the transmission and engine.

Thanks for all your inputs. Sounds like if my trans and engine are OK I just need to be patient.

I haven't had a tune up since I bought it in Jan, so I plan to do that.

Ron Myer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.