Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Motorhome vs travel trailer for cross country with pets??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Motorhome vs travel trailer for cross country with pets??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
spoon059

Just north of D.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 10/03/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/10/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI, a motorhome going down the road won't be "conditioned space". You can run the AC unit in the drivers cabin area, but that AC won't be cooling down the rest of the motorhome... especially in the summer. You would have to run a generator while you are going down the road and turn on the overhead AC unit to keep it cooler, the same as you would a travel trailer.


2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Tortiemctortiepants

VA

New Member

Joined: 11/09/2020

View Profile



Posted: 11/10/20 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and super informative responses!! You’ve given me a lot to think on. I will try to answer all the questions that came up...

Frequency of use... I am planning on hopefully traveling regularly during the summers so I would definitely prefer to buy something that I’ll be able to use for years to come. I am originally from WA, but I have been living in VA for about 9 years now. Since I have family and friends in both states, I’m hoping I’ll be able to visit back and forth with whatever set up I end up with.

Pet situation... I know that the practical and probably much more sensible option would be to rehome at least some of the pets, but they are my family and my responsibility and I just have a hard time with that. The bunny may be able to go back to his original home, as I’m just looking after him as a favor. Otherwise, though, I’m pretty committed. I moved from WA to VA with 2 dogs, 4 birds, and a snake in a Subaru Outback Sport [emoticon] One of the dogs, 2 of the birds, and the snake are still with me. The others have passed away of old age in the meantime. The birds are actually awesome travelers... they just hang out in their travel cage and enjoy listening to music with the windows rolled down and the wind blowing through their feathers... [emoticon]

Vans were not even on my radar as a tow vehicle, so I will definitely be looking into that! And that is good to know that having pets in the travel trailer while moving is definitely not a workable option.

The Rogue not being towable kind of throws a wrench in the class c while bringing along my car idea, unless I decide to just have the motorhome without another vehicle. Although I am attracted to the idea of just driving a motorhome though because that seems less overwhelming to me in comparison to towing.

There is a 96 Minnie Winnie with 50k miles on it for sale near me for $6500, and I’m considering looking at it but I’m just worried about its reliability as an older vehicle... Do the low miles negate its age a bit?

Thanks again!!

* This post was edited 11/10/20 05:47pm by Tortiemctortiepants *

Tortiemctortiepants

VA

New Member

Joined: 11/09/2020

View Profile



Posted: 11/10/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

I forget the name of the group but there is a female only RV club (or few?) out there. you may want to look into them re the safety aspect.


Cool! I’ll look into that!

Tortiemctortiepants

VA

New Member

Joined: 11/09/2020

View Profile



Posted: 11/10/20 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

FYI, a motorhome going down the road won't be "conditioned space". You can run the AC unit in the drivers cabin area, but that AC won't be cooling down the rest of the motorhome... especially in the summer. You would have to run a generator while you are going down the road and turn on the overhead AC unit to keep it cooler, the same as you would a travel trailer.


I did not know that!! In that case, perhaps everyone traveling in a van might be best...

dedmiston

The West

Moderator

Joined: 01/26/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/10/20 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the image of your birds groovin' along with the windows down and the music cranked. Makes me kind of want to be a fly on the wall, but you don't need another animal.


2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230



DrewE

Vermont

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

FYI, a motorhome going down the road won't be "conditioned space". You can run the AC unit in the drivers cabin area, but that AC won't be cooling down the rest of the motorhome... especially in the summer. You would have to run a generator while you are going down the road and turn on the overhead AC unit to keep it cooler, the same as you would a travel trailer.


This isn't universally true. The dash air conditioning is quite powerful, really--more powerful a ceiling RV air conditioner--so it's more a matter of distributing the cool air through the motorhome. I find opening the rearmost ceiling vent a little (I have vent covers, so they can readily be open while driving) helps to suck the air through and usually does a reasonable job of keeping the temperatures under control. Naturally, it does depend a lot on what the weather conditions are where you're going; a 110 degree day is different from an 80 degree one!





Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 11/10/20 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tortiemctortiepants wrote:


Pet situation... I know that the practical and probably much more sensible option would be to rehome at least some of the pets, but they are my family and my responsibility and I just have a hard time with that. The bunny may be able to go back to his original home, as I’m just looking after him as a favor. Otherwise, though, I’m pretty committed. I moved from WA to VA with 2 dogs, 4 birds, and a snake in a Subaru Outback Sport [emoticon] One of the dogs, 2 of the birds, and the snake are still with me. The others have passed away of old age in the meantime. The birds are actually awesome travelers... they just hang out in their travel cage and enjoy listening to music with the windows rolled down and the wind blowing through their feathers... [emoticon]



Animals are animals, not friends or family, they are a "hobby" sort of like RVing, they are a commitment that takes considerable time and effort for you to maintain. They don't take care of you, they don't fix your meals, they don't take you to the movies, to the mall, to dinner out.

Re-homing will allow you more time and energy to make your trip, get settled into your new place and get the lay of the land.

You will be surprised at just how much work and stress can be involved with driving and setting up a RV even without all the extra animals.

I am not against animals, just a bit more practical.. Grew up with Sisters that got fish, then got ponies, then that turned into horses, rabbits, chickens, cats, dogs, mice and much, much more.. They can't go anywhere without having to find folks willing to take on those chores or dragging a few around with them.

Make your trip easy and more memorable with less luggage to take with you.

pitch

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 06/08/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/11/20 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Tortiemctortiepants wrote:


Pet situation... I know that the practical and probably much more sensible option would be to rehome at least some of the pets, but they are my family and my responsibility and I just have a hard time with that. The bunny may be able to go back to his original home, as I’m just looking after him as a favor. Otherwise, though, I’m pretty committed. I moved from WA to VA with 2 dogs, 4 birds, and a snake in a Subaru Outback Sport [emoticon] One of the dogs, 2 of the birds, and the snake are still with me. The others have passed away of old age in the meantime. The birds are actually awesome travelers... they just hang out in their travel cage and enjoy listening to music with the windows rolled down and the wind blowing through their feathers... [emoticon]



Animals are animals, not friends or family, they are a "hobby" sort of like RVing, they are a commitment that takes considerable time and effort for you to maintain. They don't take care of you, they don't fix your meals, they don't take you to the movies, to the mall, to dinner out.

Re-homing will allow you more time and energy to make your trip, get settled into your new place and get the lay of the land.

You will be surprised at just how much work and stress can be involved with driving and setting up a RV even without all the extra animals.

I am not against animals, just a bit more practical.. Grew up with Sisters that got fish, then got ponies, then that turned into horses, rabbits, chickens, cats, dogs, mice and much, much more.. They can't go anywhere without having to find folks willing to take on those chores or dragging a few around with them.

Make your trip easy and more memorable with less luggage to take with you.


Well you are something,and practical is not the word I am thinking.
Obviously you have never had pets. or if you did, you did not deserve them.
When a person brings an animal into their home, they become responsible for that life forever.
Animals are not inanimate objects to be bandied about like dirty linen.
While maybe not practical,(the definition having a non food animal), a home with pets is a much friendlier trustworthy place.
I also agree with the van and trailer. Used Sprintes are quite reasonable.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 11/11/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tortiemctortiepants wrote:

spoon059 wrote:

FYI, a motorhome going down the road won't be "conditioned space". You can run the AC unit in the drivers cabin area, but that AC won't be cooling down the rest of the motorhome... especially in the summer. You would have to run a generator while you are going down the road and turn on the overhead AC unit to keep it cooler, the same as you would a travel trailer.


I did not know that!! In that case, perhaps everyone traveling in a van might be best...


If you go the van route, make sure it has rear air/con.

There's a joke in my family. One van Dad got only had front air/con. Once he was cool, he would turn it down because he was comfortable. Us kids would shortly complain about being roasted.

If you get a used cargo van, good chance it doesn't have the rear air/con.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/11/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pet thing is hard. I would take some time to consider some examples of campgrounds in which you'd be interested and then explore their pet policies. Make sure you'd actually be able to do what you want to do.

As for an older RV - that's a tough one. Reliability is about far more than just the chassis. A 25 year old class C could be great, or not - and the mileage is only part of the story. Water damage...appliance issues...water system... all of these things can be problematic. Some would actually need to be addressed right away, others you could limp along with. Frankly, it can often be easier and faster to get the chassis issued addressed on the road than the house issues. You may find a great unit. You may not - and breakdowns for any class C, much less one of that age, are a risk.

One related concern that has not been addressed in this is the question of what you will do if you do break down and need extensive repair. No hotel is going to take in all of those animals. If your house needs to go into the shop for a few days, where do you plan to stay? From this angle, a towable could be beneficial as you'd have the option of staying in the RV while the truck was repaired, leaving you less likely to be caught without a back-up plan.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Motorhome vs travel trailer for cross country with pets??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.