Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Motorhome vs travel trailer for cross country with pets??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Motorhome vs travel trailer for cross country with pets??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
okhmbldr

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, sell the Nissan Rogue, towing capacity is only 1100#.
Use the money and purchase a larger SUV. My wife has a 2014 GMC Acadia, towing capacity is 5100# (Has the tow option). Several SUV's meet similar towing capacities.
Then purchase a small 18-24 ft. travel trailer, weighing about 4000# dry. Smaller the better.
Travel with the (two medium dogs, a cat, 4 small birds, a bunny, a tortoise, and a snake) in the SUV, seats fold down so all should fit. Most of your luggage can be stored in your Travel Trailer.
With this arrangement you don't need to find a way to get your Nissan to Washington. You will have a pretty good Travel Trailer for future adventures without spending a lot of money.
Look for the new tow vehicle first, then find a suitable trailer for towing.
When you find what you want, check back on this forum and these fine folks will let you know if your selections make good sense.
Also, when you check into a campground you don't need to tell the camp host about all the animals, dog and cats are sufficient. I doubt that you will be taking the snake, tortoise and birds for a walk! Good luck on your adventure.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some more things to consider:
When we were full-timing, we found several RV parks that would only allow two pets. We had two cats and a dog. Even though the cats stayed in the trailer all the time, there were occasions we were not allowed entry into an RV park. Of course, being as we were on wheels, it was not an insurmountable problem, we just went on down the road.
There are also RV parks that have age limits on the RVs they will allow on the premises. Ten years of age is an oft quoted number. Any unit older is not allowed. We never encountered one of them, but apparently they exist.
We even found an RV park near Everett, WA that did not want patrons to have weapons in their "rolling home". At the time, I didn't have any with me, but I did not give them any of my money anyway. In all of our travels in MT, ID, WY, CA, WA, OR, and NV that is the only park we found that had such a rule.
As stated, one of the benefits of being on wheels is that if you don't like the rules you can get on down the road.
Oh, and when you get to your destination, please be aware that many rental homes and apartments have pet restrictions.
Good luck.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Tortiemctortiepants wrote:

Pet situation... I know that the practical and probably much more sensible option would be to rehome at least some of the pets, but they are my family and my responsibility and I just have a hard time with that. The bunny may be able to go back to his original home, as I’m just looking after him as a favor. Otherwise, though, I’m pretty committed. I moved from WA to VA with 2 dogs, 4 birds, and a snake in a Subaru Outback Sport [emoticon] One of the dogs, 2 of the birds, and the snake are still with me. The others have passed away of old age in the meantime. The birds are actually awesome travelers... they just hang out in their travel cage and enjoy listening to music with the windows rolled down and the wind blowing through their feathers... [emoticon]

Animals are animals, not friends or family, they are a "hobby" sort of like RVing, they are a commitment that takes considerable time and effort for you to maintain. They don't take care of you, they don't fix your meals, they don't take you to the movies, to the mall, to dinner out.

Re-homing will allow you more time and energy to make your trip, get settled into your new place and get the lay of the land.

You will be surprised at just how much work and stress can be involved with driving and setting up a RV even without all the extra animals.

I am not against animals, just a bit more practical.. Grew up with Sisters that got fish, then got ponies, then that turned into horses, rabbits, chickens, cats, dogs, mice and much, much more.. They can't go anywhere without having to find folks willing to take on those chores or dragging a few around with them.

Make your trip easy and more memorable with less luggage to take with you.

One could argue the same thing about human children. But nobody tells someone to get rid of those when they are trying to decide which tow vehicle to buy.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't purchase anything. RENT >>>

Crusie America

Much better financially in the long run!

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

Tortiemctortiepants

VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

The pet thing is hard. I would take some time to consider some examples of campgrounds in which you'd be interested and then explore their pet policies. Make sure you'd actually be able to do what you want to do.

As for an older RV - that's a tough one. Reliability is about far more than just the chassis. A 25 year old class C could be great, or not - and the mileage is only part of the story. Water damage...appliance issues...water system... all of these things can be problematic. Some would actually need to be addressed right away, others you could limp along with. Frankly, it can often be easier and faster to get the chassis issued addressed on the road than the house issues. You may find a great unit. You may not - and breakdowns for any class C, much less one of that age, are a risk.

One related concern that has not been addressed in this is the question of what you will do if you do break down and need extensive repair. No hotel is going to take in all of those animals. If your house needs to go into the shop for a few days, where do you plan to stay? From this angle, a towable could be beneficial as you'd have the option of staying in the RV while the truck was repaired, leaving you less likely to be caught without a back-up plan.

That’s true that it would be better to still have a place to be with the pets in the event of a break down... but If my towing vehicle did break down, say on the side of the road, do tow trucks tow both the vehicle and the trailer?

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s true that it would be better to still have a place to be with the pets in the event of a break down... but If my towing vehicle did break down, say on the side of the road, do tow trucks tow both the vehicle and the trailer?

Certainly not at the same time, at least not generally. I suppose it may be at least theoretically possible for a flatbed tow truck to haul both if it has an ordinary hitch receiver and the right sized ball and so forth, but that would definitely not be something to count on. A wheel lift tow truck definitely isn't going to tow a disabled vehicle plus a trailer behind that vehicle.

You can of course get the tow vehicle towed for repairs and also make arrangements to have the trailer towed to some other location, either by renting a vehicle that can tow it (and is permitted to per the rental agreement), or by hiring someone, or by relying on the kindness of some helpful person you somehow meet or know.

Tortiemctortiepants

VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone!! I knew I was lost but now I’m realizing how much I really don’t know about this... it had never occurred to me that campgrounds would have age limits for rvs or pet limits... your advice has been really helpful.

I’m still torn between the class c and travel trailer options.. but I’m ruling out the truck idea as I think I am going to need the pet space I would get with a van/suv (with ac in the back area) , if I go the travel trailer route. I got scared off of the SUV idea because people told me that I would burn the transmission up towing... I’m guessing that it would be okay as long as I was within the correct weight limits?

Tortiemctortiepants

VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Certainly not at the same time, at least not generally. I suppose it may be at least theoretically possible for a flatbed tow truck to haul both if it has an ordinary hitch receiver and the right sized ball and so forth, but that would definitely not be something to count on. A wheel lift tow truck definitely isn't going to tow a disabled vehicle plus a trailer behind that vehicle.

You can of course get the tow vehicle towed for repairs and also make arrangements to have the trailer towed to some other location, either by renting a vehicle that can tow it (and is permitted to per the rental agreement), or by hiring someone, or by relying on the kindness of some helpful person you somehow meet or know.

Oh my! That sounds like it would be quite the ordeal to have to arrange towing for two things instead of just one!

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV Specific roadside service account for this. Your tow vehicle can be towed for service and your trailer can be taken to a local campground. It's not as simple as all that, but it's better then standing outside an RV dealership with a bunch of animals and nowhere to spend the night.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a 96 Minnie Winnie with 50k miles on it for sale near me for $6500, and I’m considering looking at it but I’m just worried about its reliability as an older vehicle... Do the low miles negate its age a bit?

Thanks again!!
This is a very realistic option. While you need to test drive to verify the driveline is functioning well... probably even more important is looking for water damage from roof or window leaks.

But really if something like this would work for 3 to 5 years you will get the money out of it. Don't worry plenty of RV parks take all comers. Just stay away from the fancy ones.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Motorhome vs travel trailer for cross country with pets??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.