cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House batteries didn't charge while driving

JinianStarEyes
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 Georgetown, in which we put new lead acid batteries. Today driving to Tillamook OR from Ocean Shores WA when we stopped at a harvest host to overnight, jacks would not go downb(auto leveling system), there's no power, and the generator won't start. The engine starts fine. We think the house batteries didn't charge while we were driving. Any suggestions? Could it be the batteries, alternator, other? We're calling Good Sam Service Tech line tomorrow.
15 REPLIES 15

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Jinian,

It is great to hear that you got it handled.
Thank you for coming back and closing the loop on this.

So often others have come here for advice or assistance and just vanished. We never hear what the real issue turned out to be.

Did you guy give a possible reason for the failure?? (Hope - hope)

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Even if house bank is discharged (not likely with new batteries and long drive), the alternator is more than adequate to have them fully charged at the end of the drive.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
People seem to consistently over estimate the ability of their TV alternator to charge their RV batteries.

This is one area where motorhomes usually do much better than tow vehicles and trailers. The battery combiner circuitry on a motorhome provides a decidedly better and higher-capacity connection between the chassis and the house batteries, and usually the house batteries can get a substantial charge over the course of a day's driving.

JinianStarEyes
Explorer
Explorer
So we got a mobile repair tech out and there's some kind of disconnect to the house batteries. Alternator, solenoid are fine. Power is going into the control board but not getting out to charge everything. Correct part is ordered will be here Friday, in the meantime we are charging the batteries with a device the tech lent us. We have power generator heat and are parked safe. And enjoying the lovely blue heron farm and cheese company in the meantime. Will post updates. THANK YOU to all who responded with help 🙂

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Did the systems WORK before you replaced the Batteries(even tho bad batteries)? If so, 99% of the time when systems worked BEFORE replacing the Coach batteries and then you have operational problems, you connected the new batteries wrong or you missed a cable that should be connected. Doug

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
People seem to consistently over estimate the ability of their TV alternator to charge their RV batteries.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Consider an adequate solar system, Jinian. It charges whenever the sun is out.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
esyers wrote:
For me, it was a bad solenoid causing the same problem.
Same here. I found out in the middle of the Alcan and used jumper cables to charge the house until I got to a town. Should be easy to diagnose the problem with a meter.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
JinianStarEyes wrote:
Any suggestions?

Buy a meter, preferably one with a built in "amp clamp" like Uni-T UT210E AC/DC Current Mini Clamp.

Without "data" we are all just "shooting in the dark" !

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
For me, it was a bad solenoid causing the same problem.

MrWizard
Your alternator is good, or your engine battery would be dead, check the battery disconnect switches, usually near the entry door, make sure the house/aux batteries are in the on/connected position, they should stay that way until you put the rv in storage
In disconnect mode very little will work, just like dead batteries, and they might not even charge from shore power.
I'm not familiar with the options for your rv
A whole house inverter powering an electric appliance will suck the house batteries dead,
Check to see if the water heater or fridge is set on for 120v, should be set for propane aka LP unless on Shore power
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The house battery voltage should jump a full volt as you start the main engine.
Polarity matters so double check. Plug in the RV and see if the house battery starts charging.

Otherwise for charging en route you need to poke along the charging cable from the battery to the isolator and if needed back to the alternator. Along the way you will find voltage jumps up at some point. You will need to repair, replace, clean, tighten, or adjust the component at that spot. Generally the issue will be at a connection, not mid wire in some blind area.

Good luck. Post what you find.

JinianStarEyes
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. We just picked up a volt meter and will see what that says. I should mention we are new full-time rvers and this is a used rig. I appreciate your input. I'm glad we're at least parked and safe for the night, going to troubleshoot and look at fuses and such in the morning. All input/thoughts still welcome in the meantime!

herbert007
Explorer
Explorer
I just corrected a similar problem where I had a dead chassis battery. The battery was new but there was a draw from the alternator which fried the new battery. My jacks won't work. Problem finally solved.