Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: banking when full timing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> banking when full timing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I currently have BofA but was wondering what other banks provide the same coverage across the states. We have a few small time banks here but would like a bank with a wider range and one that is sort of solid. Wells Fargo gone Rabo bank gone etc. How do you do it?

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been with BofA for nearly fifty years. We use the Bill payer system to handle banking while on the road. Our bills are nearly all electronic. Receive notices via email. If necessary we revise payments.
When we need cash, we get money back while doing grocery shopping.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I have been doing the same but was thinking of having a different bank for the time I'm gone from home base. I don't know of a bank that has the coverage of BofA. If need be, I can always transfer money to the new account. I am probably over thinking this but I thought it would be a good way to track money spent while on the move.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found it good to have a 2nd account while I traveled all of last year. I saw a lot of Regions Banks in my travels. I locked my debit card up on one account so until I could get straightened out the next working day (Monday, don't you know) I did have an alternate to use.

I also did cash back at WalMart usually or a grocery store.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not open a second BofA account?
My wife has a Chase account that was opened while she was still working for her expenses. She still has it, but we use our main account.
Get Cash Rewards BofA credit card. It really helps on long trips for the various amounts of kick backs especially on fuel.

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use US Bank and BofA. Only reason for the BofA account is because that is where my expense money goes. We also carry a couple thousand in travelers checks plus a thousand in cash.

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are Chase customers, have used our cards across the country. Some places don't have a Chase.

So we use the RVers friend ATM - Walmart. But $2 of a soda and get $60 cash back. Almost never use a real ATM.

Grocery stores are nice also for cash back. We also save a few hundred dollars on fuel purchase each year with Safeway and Kroger discount cards. Both have many additional brands - Safeway - Albertsons and Tom Thumb

Kroger - Fred Meyer, Frys, others.

BoA is just as good and wide spread as Chase.

PS - learn to use their app. We have deposited a couple insurance checks and others using the phone app. No need to go to the bank for a deposit. Just take pictures of the check, and file it away/ shred it.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do you think you need a separate bank while you are gone? Bank of America has really good online banking. I used them for a long time until they closed all the branches in my area.

At that point, I switched to ING which is now Capital One 360. It's an online only bank and the online banking is excellent. You can deposit checks through a mobile app up to $5K/day. Otherwise you can mail them in. There is also a large ATM network.

Capital One 360 does require that you have a linked land-based checking account. You can use it to deposit checks or cash and then transfer the money.

I would much prefer to get cash at an ATM than cash back at a store. Cash back at a store requires debit card use; I NEVER use a debit card except at the ATM. If someone hacks your debit card, they have access to your bill paying money. If someone hacks your credit card, you cancel the card and the bank deals with it.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 12:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using ING, then CapOne. Had some issues with their web site and switched to Ally three years ago.
I have not had need for a brick/mortar bank since then. All deposits, bills, checks (what are they?) done via the web, and all my cash comes via ATM's with no fees. (Allpoint has 55,000 ATM's, all free at Ally. Surely one is near where you are!)
Keep your local bank if you like, but an online bank makes traveling a whole lot easier.

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 12:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navigator2346 wrote:

. We also carry a couple thousand in travelers checks plus a thousand in cash.
I'm curious: have you used those travelers checks any time recently?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> banking when full timing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.