cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinion on a campground?

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering about everyone's thoughts about a camping experience we endured this weekend. We made a reservation some time ago to visit what is called a ranch and events center that included a campground. The place is very nice with lots of open spaces to stroll with several lakes. Lots to do.

We arrived on Wednesday and had two great days of exploring and hanging out in peace and quiet. Friday night a group of nine RVs arrived together for a fraternity reunion. Most of the campers were older and not youngsters. They were just a couple of spots down from us where all the sites are very close together.

They set up and then others in cars and trucks began to arrive. At least 25 other vehicles came by night fall. Seems it was a local group from a nearby college. They played the music loud, drank to excess and partied until after midnight Friday and Saturday night. Broke every rule known to any camper. I will not go into each and every rule.

I did not count how many people were there at any one time but it had to be more than 50.

Upon reading the campground rules we were given upon our arrival quiet time is from 11 pm until 6 am. An email sent to us when making the reservation states quiet time is 12:30 am until 6 am. WHAT? I failed to notice that one earlier.

Needless to say we complained Saturday and the owners promised to take care of the problem but never did anything. We have reservations through Wednesday but will be leaving tomorrow. I will not request any refund but just wondered what others thought about a campground with those times as "quiet time"?
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL
42 REPLIES 42

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
For what's it's worth.
There is a rather large commercial campground/float park relatively near our city and is very popular. The owner was smart with his layout of the park. ONE section near/on the gravel bar is the party section well separated from the family camp section. Does have quiet hours but isn't very strict about it. The two areas are a good distance apart and the sound hasn't been an issue that I know.

I'm across the river in southern IL, and I believe I know the park. We visit there, and yes it works well.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

dedmiston
rockylarson wrote:
I'd bet that the CG owner/operator is an alumni.

Or maybe he/she just likes the revenue from a large group.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
I'd bet that the CG owner/operator is an alumni.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The world is not fair. Especially now. Some people are always going to break "the rules."
Last year I tried a famous RV park after being invited by a group of friends. It is in the wine country. It has great facilities. It cost $75 a night. We gave it a chance.

After 4 days I could not wait to leave. The density was way too high. Too much 1970s loud music, barking dogs and screaming kids, people playing cornhole. Too much pavement. Not my scene.

After we left I was driving through the Foothills of the Sierra. I pulled over to take a leak. I realized at that moment it was the first time I heard silence in 4 days.

Even when people are following the rules and being respectful I don't like RV parks and dense campgrounds. I go in the off season, I go during the week, I go to places with no reservations.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
I am going to say "suck it up and move on" Write your review and forget it.
Campground owner looks at how high the stack of bills you payed as a single customer,compares them to the stack of bills that 25people and their guests left.
What would you do? Seriously 300 bucks compared to 45. U think groceries and making payroll outweighs principal in this case!

^^^
agree with this, real life answer

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
We ask questions to try and avoid potential problems. We ask if the park is quiet in the evenings if that is a concern for us. Sometimes it is a concern, sometimes it isn't. We ask if there is anything we should be aware of that might impact our stay. The park knows when local events are happening, we do not. Otherwise, we take what we get and realize it is our fault for not asking those questions should something out of the ordinary occur. And if something spin way out of the norm, it sure gives us something to talk about for the next few weeks so it might be worth enduring for the theatrics.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
For what's it's worth.
There is a rather large commercial campground/float park relatively near our city and is very popular. The owner was smart with his layout of the park. ONE section near/on the gravel bar is the party section well separated from the family camp section. Does have quiet hours but isn't very strict about it. The two areas are a good distance apart and the sound hasn't been an issue that I know.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

dedmiston
bucky wrote:
To the OP you aren't trashing the campground? The heck you aren't!
What's the big deal about naming them?

The OP has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't intend to name the CG. We should respect that.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Tvov wrote:
12:30am quiet time does seem very late to me. Most campgrounds we've been to have a 10 or 11pm quiet time. The exception has been a couple campgrounds that have a "DJ Dance Party" or live band on Friday or Saturday night... sometimes the quiet time is extended until 12 midnight. We've always been informed in advance of the times, and especially if is late the management "warns" us of the late time at check in.

Sorry about your experience at the campground. We've been to many different campgrounds - some are promoted as quiet campgrounds, others as "suitable for group gatherings".... that description always warns me that there might be a party atmosphere as it is very difficult to keep large party groups quiet.

We have a private campground near us that is known as a "party" campground. If you are in the mood, it is a fun place where everyone is walking around saying hello. The issue is that the campground doesn't say this on its' website - but all the locals know it is party central.

One of our favorite campgrounds is a "rustic" state park. No amenities, basically woods camping with an outhouse available. Beautiful place, quiet hours are 10pm and strictly enforced and you are told this when you check in. We go back there often.

The above sort of some it up. I don't think the OP was trashing the CG. I just think the OP was caught off guard by the large gathering...that was not really out of control for a large gathering.
The bigger issue is that the OP was not made aware that there would be a large gathering.
Maybe the CG has a reputation and history of allowing large gatherings that is understood by locals and most of its clientele.
Either way it seems the was a communication issue that could have been handled better.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
12:30am quiet time does seem very late to me. Most campgrounds we've been to have a 10 or 11pm quiet time. The exception has been a couple campgrounds that have a "DJ Dance Party" or live band on Friday or Saturday night... sometimes the quiet time is extended until 12 midnight. We've always been informed in advance of the times, and especially if is late the management "warns" us of the late time at check in.

Sorry about your experience at the campground. We've been to many different campgrounds - some are promoted as quiet campgrounds, others as "suitable for group gatherings".... that description always warns me that there might be a party atmosphere as it is very difficult to keep large party groups quiet.

We have a private campground near us that is known as a "party" campground. If you are in the mood, it is a fun place where everyone is walking around saying hello. The issue is that the campground doesn't say this on its' website - but all the locals know it is party central.

One of our favorite campgrounds is a "rustic" state park. No amenities, basically woods camping with an outhouse available. Beautiful place, quiet hours are 10pm and strictly enforced and you are told this when you check in. We go back there often.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP you aren't trashing the campground? The heck you aren't!
What's the big deal about naming them?
Puma 30RKSS

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
One last post and I am done with this. We can close this thing down as it has gone a totally different direction than I ever intended it to.

The email I received about the 12:30 am quiet time was received AFTER I made the reservation by phone along with the receipt. I admit I did not notice the quiet time rule at that time. Nothing on their website says anything about quiet time. We were given a sheet of rules at check in that stated quiet time was 11 pm.

Reservations can be cancelled but no refund under any circumstances. I stated I was not seeking a refund then or now. I will not name the campground. I never said the situation was totally out of control. It just disrupting what was to be a quiet peaceful week. We have moved on and will enjoy another adventure in another place starting today.

By the way we travel extensively and have stayed in over 100 different campgrounds in the past 18 months.

We have complained one other time and that was because our neighbors tied their Doberman to their RV and went to the beach for the day. It left the dog with no water, in the sun and he barked at everything that moved all day. Did I mention it was in July in Florida? The staff came over immediately and found the owners and resolved the problem.

Thanks to everyone who understood my question and I hope to be a part of this forum for a long time in the future.
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our favorite campgrounds are campgrounds that have strict rules and are not afraid to enforce them and patrols regularly. If you want to party go to a venue that allows such things or stay home and party in your neighborhood.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
david1601 wrote:
OP here. I can clear up a few things. Yes we did receive an email with the quiet times prior to arrival. I just missed that line. Nothing was mentioned when we arrived about a group. The other rules were the usual stuff about pets, no loud music, two vehicles, four campers per site and the basics.

The campground only has about 28 sites which are not much more than a gravel parking lot. FHU and clean but all the sites are side by side in two rows.

I feel they should have warned us upon arrival. The owners were very nice and accommodating the first two days but have totally ignored us since. Like they knew what was coming.
No thoughts of calling the cops.

My post was not so much about getting a refund or just complaining about a misadventure. It was to ask what others thought of the quiet time hours being between 12:30 am and 6 am.

We are half-timers I suppose so we are off today on a new adventure. This will be in the rear view mirror soon.

'Lantley' - I agree but why have a set of rules if they will not be enforced? I would have no problem with a group. We have traveled in a group at times. My problem is with 50 people together drinking, loud until after midnight, music all day and most of the night, cars and trucks everywhere clogging up the roads and every corner of the campground.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves when Campgrounds/rvparks ignore their own posted rules & security

I have never heard of a quiet time starting at 12:30AM?? you mentioned you recieved it by email, maybe because of a special event? Guess it really doesn't matter because the 50 people violated a zillion other rules.

as mentioned, I would post a review on Campgrounds reviews.com (Just a suggestion if you want your review to be noticed more I would make the incident part of the review an not the focus of the review)

As with other posters, we have had to deal with something similar many yrs ago, sorry you went through this, hopefully it will be the last.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)