Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Best mouse trap?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Best mouse trap?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've tried mouse/rat traps using peanut butter, chocolate, grain, etc with very little luck. I tried glue pad but only get one mouse and my barn is full of mice so that gets expensive having to throw away a rat glue pad for one mouse. I tried the 5 gal bucket with a rolls dabbed with peanut butter drowning just a couple at a time then nothing.

I even got a barn cat but then I got bitten up from their fleas.

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

Please do not use poison. Eating a poisoned rodent is one of the main causes of death for raptor-type birds. It might also be found by a dog or cat who is someone's loved pet.

I prefer the snap traps.

Possibly the mice are long gone. Just keep an eye out.

X2 because as noted you potentially introduce a poisoned mouse into the food chain

It’s only an issue for animals the size of a mouse. The most common poison is Coumadin, the drug used for people with clotting issues. Called warfarin when used as poison, but the fatal dose for a mouse won’t cause an issue for a larger animal.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

A glue trap is not very humane in my opinion. How would you like to be trapped by your hair. The best trap is an old-fashioned bang on the head baited with peanut butter.

However, I use the green poison bait that you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. This is basically a blood thinner. After they eat it they get thirsty and go outside in search of water and die. The bait is a green cake about an inch long that I throw behind the drawers underneath the couch by the water heater any place out of sight.

So dying of thirst and a huge belly ache is better?

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I set a video cam towards an old style mouse trap and got this footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a-KW9xk2wM

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seon wrote:

I set a video cam towards an old style mouse trap and got this footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a-KW9xk2wM
He needs a spotter!

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope these responses are helpful to the OP.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These are the ones I've had the best luck with. They're fairly inexpensive, re-usable and they help force the mouse to hit the trap head-on.

The problem I've had with the traditional cheap traps is that the mouse might approach it from the side, and I've had instances where a leg of the mouse is caught, instead of an instant snap of the neck. THEN, I had to go looking for the mouse & trap as death wasn't quick. And in one case, the poor critter was still alive.

Since using the style I linked to above they get snagged the first time. They're easy to dump the dead mouse, and reset.

One word of advice. IF you dump the mouse out of the trap and you notice the peanut butter is GONE, that means there was a second little rodent that came by later to clean up. That means you need to rebait the trap and set it out again.

Oh...check them frequently, put them along a wall where a mouse might typically run (dark, safe, not out in the open). If you trap a mouse and forget about the trap for several weeks or longer, it AIN'T pretty. THAT's when I just throw the trap and what's left of the mouse away.

Good Luck,

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (19), 2 boys (20 & 17).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

I hope these responses are helpful to the OP.
[emoticon] Were on page 3 of an often discussed topic. If the OP didn’t get enough direction by now they aren’t going to.

Dave

w2dart

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cat

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My sister used to breed Akitas. She had a barn with kennels for her dogs. Mice infested the barn, so she got some cats. After a few months, the cats started disappearing, and she couldn't understand why. One day, after feeding the dogs, she stayed out in the barn to do some chores, and noticed that one of her dogs didn't quite finish its kibble. There were 3 or 4 pieces left in the bowl. She thought that was strange, so she watched. About 10 minutes later, mice came out and started feeding on the kibble. The dog just watched. A few minutes later, a cat pounced on the mice, and the dog pounced on the cat. She quit leaving kibble in that dog's dish.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Best mouse trap?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.