Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Best mouse trap?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Best mouse trap?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 5 gal bucket looks great!! Has anyone come up with a clever way to keep ants from climbing up the side? During the summer i found the ants will clean the peanut butter off my snap traps.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

The 5 gal bucket looks great!! Has anyone come up with a clever way to keep ants from climbing up the side? During the summer i found the ants will clean the peanut butter off my snap traps.

Use something dry like raisins, hot glue a couple of those to it instead of globbing PB on it.

I have some 4way snap traps that I only use a raisin on each lever, if I notice a mouse in the trap fast enough, I can get several yrs out of those raisins.. Wish I could buy new 4 way traps to replace my old ones as they are breaking apart from age.. Can't buy them any more..

BUT, the best trap is it plugging the holes they are using.. Every single hole larger than a dime is like super highway for mice to get in..

I plugged every hole through the floor in my current TT, have not had even one mouse dropping inside in the last 11 yrs..

Airstreamer67

Pineville, LA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bucket-of-water idea won't work for me because I live in a wet climate, and the enemy of my trailer is moisture. I won't do anything that encourages more humidity inside the trailer, so having exposed water in a no-no.

As noted earlier, I use spring traps with a dab of peanut butter. It's a tried-and-true way to get the job done.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airstreamer67 wrote:

The bucket-of-water idea won't work for me because I live in a wet climate, and the enemy of my trailer is moisture. I won't do anything that encourages more humidity inside the trailer, so having exposed water in a no-no.

As noted earlier, I use spring traps with a dab of peanut butter. It's a tried-and-true way to get the job done.

Exchange water for non alcohol RV antifreeze, not as cheap as water but no freezing or humidity issues.. It will over time evaporate but not as much as water.

As was mentioned before, peanut butter also attracts ants.. That is the absolute last thing I want to attract into a RV..

Use dried things like raisins, will still attract mice but ants not so much..

The trap I wished I could buy more new ones of that really worked 100% of the time was a Victor "4 hole choker trap".. Best darn trap ever made.. Sadly no longer manufactured..

I have a couple of the 1950's designed version originally made with Bakelite, bought them back in the 1990s and bought out what the little corner hardware store had.. Only have a couple working ones left as the Bakelite gets brittle with time..

Mine looks like this example..

[image]

That Victor 4 hole choker actually started out as wooden traps in the 1920s..

[image]

You can find used Bakelite ones for $30-$60 which is not a very realistic price to be a usable trap.. I think I paid $2-$3 each and thought that was crazy price..

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still like the organic mouse Trap (Alex) only he does not trap 'em so much as scare 'em off. They get a Wiff of Eu-De-Kitty and it's "Outta here"

I mean he's like the mice to stay and play
but the mice think he wants Mouse pate

So the mice run fast and far
Cause Alex would love some Mouse Tartar.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I still like the organic mouse Trap (Alex) only he does not trap 'em so much as scare 'em off. They get a Wiff of Eu-De-Kitty and it's "Outta here"

I mean he's like the mice to stay and play
but the mice think he wants Mouse pate

So the mice run fast and far
Cause Alex would love some Mouse Tartar.

Those "organic" traps tend to ignore the pests you wish to git rid of and go after critters that are of no harm..

And when you are depending on them to defend your property, they are moonlighting on someone else s property doing the job you hired them for.. (I have at least three of the neighbors cats that I am aware of always on my property all the time, there may be even more that I don't hear or see).

Not to mention they are not low maintenance, requires considerable cash infusion in food, litter and vet payments.. Mice may actually be cheaper as a pet..

Good traps make the best pets and mousers.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we had a mouse problem in a campground in Washington, we got one of these plastic humane traps:

Humane trap

It worked great -- no mess, no mouse guts or blood, no dead body. We took the trap far away from the trailer and released it.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

We took the trap far away from the trailer and released it.

So it would be someone else's problem.

Not to mention that it may violate state regulations. I know that in Tennessee, if you trap any kind of wildlife, TWRA regulations require you to either release it where it was trapped, euthanize it, or get a permit from TWRA to relocate it. That is to prevent the spread of disease from one area to another.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

udidwht

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

profdant139 wrote:

We took the trap far away from the trailer and released it.

So it would be someone else's problem.

Not to mention that it may violate state regulations. I know that in Tennessee, if you trap any kind of wildlife, TWRA regulations require you to either release it where it was trapped, euthanize it, or get a permit from TWRA to relocate it. That is to prevent the spread of disease from one area to another.

Animals are capable of doing that all on their own. A fine example of idiotic legislation. Same as agriculture checkpoints like in Ca.

Can't fix stupid. But we can eliminate it from the face of this planet.

1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 12:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I trapped a gray rat with a black face. Drove 4-5 miles along the seashore then released it. A week later it was back. Frustration.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Best mouse trap?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.