cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taco Soup

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a really simple recipe for Taco Soup? I want to make some and put in the freezer. A friend has a recipe that sounds a little complicated and she puts cream cheese in hers. Not sure how well that would freeze. I had an old Weight Watchers recipe, but can't find it. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
OkieGene wrote:
I grew up eating Frito Chili Pie, which is chili with slightly crushed Fritos.

Add a dollop of sour cream, onion, Hatch green chilies, whatever you like.

I just ate the last frozen container I had in the freezer, time to make up another big batch in a few days.

Trivia time! Frito Lay created "Frito Chili Pie" and "Frito Tamale" in the late 50's for Disneyland's Mainstreet Frito Cafe. Doritos were also created for Disneyland.

#themoreyouknow

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up eating Frito Chili Pie, which is chili with slightly crushed Fritos.

Add a dollop of sour cream, onion, Hatch green chilies, whatever you like.

I just ate the last frozen container I had in the freezer, time to make up another big batch in a few days.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now that Tortilla Soup sounds good !

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
My go-to recipe for Taco Soup is from my Weight-Watchers days:

1 pound lean ground beef, at least 93% lean, browned
1 cup chopped onion (1 medium-size onion)
1 can (14 to 15 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with chiles, undrained aka Rotel
2 cans (14 to 15 ounces each) beans (kidney, pinto, black or chili), rinsed and drained (I use kidney and black)
1 can (11 to 15 ounces) corn, undrained
2 cups water
1 package (1.25 ounces) taco seasoning

I put all in my slow-cooker for 2 or 3 hours

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
propchef wrote:

It hurts to see so many processed foods used.

Agreed.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
Y-guy,my wife made this tonight for dinner and it was great. She substituted ground turkey for the ground beef and hot chicken sausage for the chorizo. It was just what I needed after spending most of the day snowblowing the 30" of snow Mother Nature gifted upstate NY with. We will definitely be making this again.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

jjuliajul
Explorer
Explorer
I like your recipes, I'll try

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
capacitor wrote:
Nice recipe. I printed it out and the wife said she would do it. She likes using a crock pot. Now for dessert! This actually works and is real moist, just eat it out of the cup around the campfire.

> A RECIPE EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW
>
>
> The most dangerous cake recipe
> 5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
>
> 4 tablespoons flour
> 4 tablespoons sugar
> 2 tablespoons cocoa
> 1 egg
> 3 tablespoons milk
> 3 tablespoons oil
> 3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional) a small splash of vanilla extract
> 1 large coffee mug
>
> Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
> Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high).
>
> The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).
>
> And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the
> world?
>
> Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

This is the same as a Lava Cake or a Fallen Chocolate Souffle. It goes by many names and can be quite delicious. The key is to avoid poor cocoa like Hersey or Nestle and use high-quality cocoa. The other thing we'd do a little differently is to substitute butter (unsalted) for the oil and melt the butter in warm milk before mixing all the ingredients together. It's a bit richer but oil works just fine. Just make sure it's a neutral flavored oil and not olive oil.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Cream cheese or dairy will not freeze well. When it thaws, it separates

It hurts to see so many processed foods used. I've done this tortilla soup for years. Simple, fresh, and yes, it can be frozen or canned (with a pressure canner). This soup isn't as heavy but it quite delicious.

Tortilla Soup
Portions: 2 Portion Size: about 10-12 ounces depending on add-ins

Olive oil or canola oil, 2 tablespoons
Onion, medium dice (1/2 inch cubes), 1 medium-sized yellow (sweet) onion (about a cup and a half)
Celery, medium dice, 1 rib (about 3/4 cup)
Green Onions, white parts only (save the green parts for later) about 6
Pepper*, medium dice, about 3/4 cup. *Jalapeno if you want it spicy, green bell if a milder version is desired.
Garlic, minced, 3 cloves
Chicken stock, preferably homemade but a low sodium canned stock (NOT broth) will be fine. 2 cups (or 1 15 ounce can)
Tomato, diced, about 3/4 cup (1 medium-sized tomato)
Chicken, cooked and diced, about 10 ounces, that's 2 average-sized boneless/skinless breasts. Grill and cool them first for the BEST flavors!
Oregano, 1 teaspoon if dry, about a tablespoon if fresh
Salt and paper to taste
Cilantro, chopped, about 1/2 cup
Limes, sliced, 1
Tortilla chips, as desired

1. Heat oil over medium in a soup pot. Add onions, celery, peppers and green onion bottoms. Saute over medium heat until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes more.
2. Add chicken broth, tomato, and diced cooked chicken. Add oregano and adjust the salt and pepper. At this point, it can be canned or frozen.
3. To serve, garnish with fresh cilantro, fresh lime, and tortilla chips.

Hominy can be added, and of course, it can be made as spicy as you like. If you don't like cilantro, parsley can be substituted.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Nice recipe. I printed it out and the wife said she would do it. She likes using a crock pot. Now for dessert! This actually works and is real moist, just eat it out of the cup around the campfire.

> A RECIPE EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW
>
>
> The most dangerous cake recipe
> 5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
>
> 4 tablespoons flour
> 4 tablespoons sugar
> 2 tablespoons cocoa
> 1 egg
> 3 tablespoons milk
> 3 tablespoons oil
> 3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional) a small splash of vanilla extract
> 1 large coffee mug
>
> Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
> Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high).
>
> The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).
>
> And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the
> world?
>
> Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
That recipe makes a bunch of soup, moderator! lol But it sounds good. I'll try a half order.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Y-Guy
Here is my recipe, we freeze it without any issues.

My Taco Soup
15 oz. can - white chili beans, drained
15 oz. can - pinto beans, drained
15 oz. can - kidney beans, drained
15 oz. can - black chili beans, drained
15 oz. can - corn or frozen corn
10 oz. 1 can - rotel tomatoes/green chilies
15 oz. can - diced tomatoes
1 sm. onion
1 lbs. 80/20 hamburger or turkey burger
9 oz. beef/turkey chorizo
1 1/2 cup beef broth or water
1.5 oz. dry ranch dressing (3-4 tablespoons)
1.5 oz. taco seasoning (2-3 tablespoons)

Brown hamburger & chorizo with onions, put in crock pot.
Drain beans and put in crockpot
Empty corn, rotel, tomatoes with liquid in crockpot
blend water/broth with taco & ranch, blend into crockpot

Sour cream, Cheese, Sour Cream, Tortilla strips as desired.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon