Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery switch

MattandNaomisRV
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Sea
6006200, M Series Mini Battery Switch, Black, Single Circuit ON/OFF w/ Knob
I'm new to my RV and trying to figure out what everything does and why different things aren't working. Can anyone tell me the purpose of this switch?
9 REPLIES 9

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I can also include my landing gear on the list.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Majority of Battery Disconnect Switches do NOT disconnect all loads.....
Parasitic loads can be LP/CO Detectors, Radio, Clocks etc

Many folks turn it off expecting ALL DC is shutdown only to return weeks later and find batteries DEAD

Really depends on HOW the disconnect switch has been installed.
Don't 'ASSUME' it shuts down ALL DC

Look at the Battery POS Post....does it have just one large cable connected to it or does it also have several smaller gauge wires connected.
Smaller gauge wires probably do not go thru disconnect switch
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rlw999 wrote:
cavie wrote:

the parasitic drains from the CO, LP, stereo are NOT on the disconnect switch. You need a separate battery disconnect to do that.

That must be RV specific because in my 2017 Coachmen, the battery disconnect definitely disconnects everything, including the CO/LP detector (the green light goes out when I turn off the disconnect).

I'm surprised that's not universal behavior since it wouldn't be a very good disconnect if it doesn't actually disconnect everything.

Newmar was or still is a OEM that does NOT disconnect the Co and LP detector. Newmar stated that you could still be using the RV with the Disconnect turned OFF and you needed the CO and LP still operational at all times. Doug

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
There are electronic systems inside the RV that are constantly running, example, smoke alarm and detectors. And if the RV is on a very long storage, it will drain your battery.

That switch is supposed to shut off all those electronic systems when you turn it off.

the parasitic drains from the CO, LP, stereo are NOT on the disconnect switch. You need a separate battery disconnect to do that.

Mine, a Coleman, disconnected everything and when I do that, it stops the battery from draining and was able to be topped off by. a small solar battery charger-maintainer.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:

That must be RV specific because in my 2017 Coachmen, the battery disconnect definitely disconnects everything, including the CO/LP detector (the green light goes out when I turn off the disconnect).

I'm surprised that's not universal behavior since it wouldn't be a very good disconnect if it doesn't actually disconnect everything.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
That is a Manual ON/ OFF SINGLE battery switch. Not designed for more than one battery. It is usually installed to turn OFF all of the connected Battery loads(appliances/Circuits). But, depending on who installed it and the parameters from who installed it, it may NOT shut off all Battery loads. But, you need to leave the Disconnect ON at all times when using the RV. When stored with no 120 volts connected turn it off. THEN go inside and see if you find any 12 volt item still on. Some that may bypass the disconnect. Doug
1. CO detector
2. LP detector
3. TV antenna booster(very rare but does happen)

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
There are electronic systems inside the RV that are constantly running, example, smoke alarm and detectors. And if the RV is on a very long storage, it will drain your battery.

That switch is supposed to shut off all those electronic systems when you turn it off.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is used to cut off power from the battery to 12V systems in the RV. This can be done for maintenance when you do not want to work on an energized system or when the RV is in storage. If the RV has multiple banks of batteries then a similar switch can select which bank or both banks are in service.

Don't worry about asking questions we were all new at this at one time.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper