Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Two Medical Crises their Resolution and Costs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Two Medical Crises their Resolution and Costs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've had a spell of injuries - glad it all worked out and was not expensive. We've traveled in Mexico by motorcycle recently and we always carry medical evacuation insurance - it's about $500 a year. The first 5 times we purchased Medivac without realizing they will not go into level 4 states in Mexico - currently Colima, Guerrero, Michoacán, Sinaloa and Tamaulipas. We found another - Geos Medivac - they will bring us back to a hospital of our choice from all states in Mexico.
One thing about the stings - I don't know if it is still bad as it was in Sinaloa 15 years ago - the Africanized bees there were an all too common sight. Those bees are bad news even for folks without allergies.

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We haven't looked into evacuation insurance because we have no place to be evacuated to!!!

During the time that the Africanized bees were a serious problem here, we heard about two couples, then met them a couple of weeks later, that had been attacked by them while parked for lunch near Pinotepa Nacional. Fortunately they were very very close to a military base and hospital who took care of them. The women were hospitalized over night. They didn't have enough drugs to fully treat the men and when we met them in Puerto Escondito they were having a lot of issues and were working with a doctor.

Scary stuff!!

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Epi,s area available. But not in small towns. That private hospital should be able to order one.

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything I am reading says they are not available here, the drug is heavily controlled. Besides the fact that they cost a LOT and have a short shelf life.

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talleyho69 wrote:

Thanks for that information.

Have you checked out liquid Benadryl? It's supposed to get into your system faster.

I am sorry but I have not. I have heard that it is suppose to work faster and purchased some but have not had to use it. The first time I was stung I ended up in the hospital and they used an IV. Since then I have been stung once and used the benedril immediately. I waited awhile, kept talking and started having hoarseness. I got the epi out and waited another couple minutes and it started getting better. I don't think I would do that again. As soon as the hoarseness started I should use the epi.

coloradotallman

mexico/colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lou; Seeing we now winter in Mazatlan, curious to know which hospital?

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talleyho69 wrote:

Everything I am reading says they are not available here, the drug is heavily controlled. Besides the fact that they cost a LOT and have a short shelf life.

I carry an Epi pen. My Dr said as long as it is still clear and discolored, it is good. With the cost of them, she recommended I hang on to it. Each prescription comes with two so I may have to use two in case of an emergency, but she always said if I have to use one, use it right away and get in the car and head for the emergency room and use the other en route if I have to.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Oxfofd, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a very short time our medical prices will be as cheap as foreign countries.

* This post was edited 11/12/20 07:46pm by an administrator/moderator *

The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I so hope that you are correct. It's time for a change!

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading all of this, I should point out that it all free in Canada. My wife went through 2 years of chemo and only had to pay for parking. Having said that, I have had good reasonable care in Mexico. Since I only spend 6 months a year ther (this season excluded) I did sign up for Skymed.

On another subject, the guy who runs the hot dog stand outside a Canadian Tire here in abbotsford is donating a kidney to a customer. A stranger. There are some very good people out there. They are raising money to cover his time off work. I can donate to that.

On edit if you are interested, PM me and I will give you the link. They have raised 10k of a 15k goal. Sounds like a lot, but he has to shut his business down for 2 months. The medical costs involved are covered under Canada's universal health care

* This post was edited 11/13/20 10:38am by Tequila *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Two Medical Crises their Resolution and Costs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.