Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Streaming Amazon videos?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Streaming Amazon videos?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Firestick simply plugs in to a USB port on the back of our fairly new smart TV. It even came with a little pigtail if the connection point is tight.

There is HDMI as well, but wireless works just fine.
We have never tried using it on in the RV while camping, we bring a box of 5 dollar Walmart DVDs to use in the older TV on the wall.

Streaming burns up huge data, and I only have 2 gigs with my phone so don't even bother trying.

But at home the possibilities are many. My grandsons graduation was streamed live on Zoom. I brought it up on my laptop and sent it wirelessly to the TV.

The array of content on Amazon Prime is excellent. Something for every taste.
And whether you set up wireless or by a cable, it can be done with ease.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like you have Wifi already if you are watching on your laptop.

If already you have Wifi, either via a hotspot or whatever, that part of the equation is solved. You will churn through data so it's recommended you get a good unlimited plan.

A firestick is nothing more than a wifi receiver that plugs into your TV that you can load apps to. Amazon Prime just happens to be one of those apps. You plug the firestick into the TV and select it from the input menu on your TV just like your antenna or cable. On our Firestick we have Prime, Sling, Apple, etc etc. Most apps require a subscription but that's beside the point from a technical perspective. If you have a smart TV you can forgo the firestick and load apps directly to your TV as smart TV's already have a wifi receiver built in. I still like a firestick though because it's portable and I can plug it into any TV with an HDMI port. Home, hotels, visiting friends, the rv, etc. Portability does not eliminate the need for wifi though. Having a receiver for content is one thing. Having wifi to get it to the receiver is the other.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the options above are possibilities. We use a Roku (similar to Fire Stick) for the same purpose. Essentially, our camper TV is no different than our home TV. We use Rokus at home as well, and do all our watching through streaming services, so there is no difference except for the wifi source.

Since we are periodic trip/weekenders, we can manage wifi through a cell-phone hotspot, but we do usually have some stuff downloaded from Amazon, Netflix, etc. in case the signal is bad and we have crummy weather that traps us inside. We download this stuff onto a laptop that we can connect via HDMI if needed.

Martyn

Panama City Beach, FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we go camping I download whatever we want to watch from Prime onto my iPhone. As mentioned before, you can keep a program at least 72 hours after you have started watching it, but you can keep them longer if you haven't watched them yet.

I bought an adapter for the iPhone that has an HDMI cable socket.
iPhone adapter.
There are cheaper ones on Amazon but a lot of reviews say they don't work. This one is from Apple and works fine for me.

You start watching the downloaded/saved program on the phone and it can be watched on the TV once the HDMI is selected. I found that if you try to start watching with the cable already connected it gives an error message, but if you start it on the phone and then plug in the cable it works great!

2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Milford47

Branson MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of my newer Smart TV's already have the prime App

then all you need is internet

Martyn

Panama City Beach, FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Milford47 wrote:

All of my newer Smart TV's already have the prime App

then all you need is internet

My way doesn’t need you to have internet at all. You download over WiFi at home and then just play from your app.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok - a little recap. We need WIFI - got it both home and Phone Hotspot - We need newer Smart TV - got it - We need a capture device, like Firestick. Not got it but can buy it. Need Prime or some other online distributor - Got it.

SO, essentially, We hook this up, download some series or some movies at home, and watch anywhere ... WIFI or not ... as long as we start and finish movies in 72 hrs, or watch the series as long as it takes, no time limit.

And, if we run out of video stuff on the road, we can reload all new stuff into the Laptop or Device if we have a good WIFI signal, and then begin again [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

Thanks for all the info guys - No place in this country better than RV.net to get the knowledge we need. Happy Camping to all ... M44 & Genie

Final Q? -- what rate of WIFI do we need to download or watch??? Thx

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a little follow up on your recap.

You don't need a Firestick or other device if your smart TV has the Amazon prime app on it. Just look at the smart TV features. You also don't need a plug in device if watching using HDMI cable to computer, tablet or phone. Just change the TV input to the input you are plugged into.

If you can download on a computer or tablet or phone movies when you have good WiFi, then you can watch them even without WiFi. You do need a way to connect the device to your TV - HDMI cord is the way to go. A tablet or phone needs an adapter, a PC should have an HDMI port or needs an adapter.

I download a few movies to my tablet even if boondocking, just lay in bed late at night and watch from the screen, assuming nothing else to do.

* This post was edited 11/11/20 04:57pm by Thermoguy *

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't remember the mbps for streaming, but my verizon phone and my att hotspot are both fast enough

For downloading and watch later, slow speed will work, it's simply time and patience, 3hrs to download a 90minute movie no problem, start the download then go do something else, come back when the download is finished, start another one, take a nap, etc..

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have WIFI at home thru Cable, but on the road we have Verizon and T-Mobile - and unlimited data, so should be fine - Like you said, just let it load and watch it later.

One thing tho', I looked at Firestick, and it says "Just tell Alexa" and it starts. We have NO Alexa, and have no interest in it. All we want is ability to watch some movies on the road. We don't want satellite either. We're just looking for convenience of a movie or series occasionally in the evening.

So, just because it says on the newest Firesticks: 'Tell Alexa to start', does that mean it only works if you have Alexa ... makes little sense, but technology sometimes inhibits the very thing it enhances.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Streaming Amazon videos?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.