cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance 1131 Camper Tent Rebuild

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
I tried searching on here, I can't remember if I'd posted on this or not. I found nothing in my email either, I could swear I had documentation somewhere. Anyway, I want to get the rear tent replaced on my Lance 1131. The tent itself is a discontinued/obselete item so a direct replacement is not an option. I could swear that I'd been emailing someone from the midwest but when I google I find nothing. The reason I'm bent on using whoever that was is because he/they were familiar with my exact tent as opposed to just being a generic canvas shop like I can find around my parts. If anyone here has experience with this and recommends an RV specific or otherwise person I'm all ears. I'd also like to add insulation if anyone's been down that road before. I'm curious if you can still get the back door shut on the thing with a thicker tent.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually
5 REPLIES 5

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
Feel free to spam it from time to time, it'll be a month before I'm on my feet and physically able to remove it from the camper to send it in. Sucks because he's got a good 4+ month backlog so now's the time to send it in!
2007 Lance 1131

errante
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the update info. I’m looking forward to hearing how the new tent fits. Hopefully someone will chime in regarding the seal. Our 830 spent its early days in the southwest and the past seven years either traveling or in Florida. The seal is cracking and irregular throughout its length. The problem with the leaking is, in my opinion, due to the degrading of the seal. Anyway, don’t want to hijack your thread so I’ll leave it there. Chris. Btw, that’s a great price.

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, looks like my seal is good to go and the camper is stored indoors which helps with that sort of thing.

The tent is $450 to reconstruct but you do have to send the old one in. The crappy plastic window goes away and gets replaced with a screen. You get all the window cover flaps with it that it came with as well. I asked about insulation but was told it'll create condensation and mold issues, so will basically get a new replacement of this tent that will hopefully last as long as we keep this camper. We have more issues with UV rays here than we do moisture.
2007 Lance 1131

errante
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting I came across your post since I was just dealing with my lance 830’s tent this week. I believe they are the same regardless of the camper length. I have been toying with the idea of replacing mine as well so I appreciate the info and will be following your progress. I am in the process of de-mildewing mine and resealing. I think the problem arises from the p..s poor seal lance used on the tent structure. I always put the tent away dry but water leaks in through the seal. This seal is, to quote, “discontinued and obsolete “, originally made by Challenger Door. We have had our 830 for 7 years (it was built in 2008) and the seal was bad within a couple years of purchase. Yeah, I know, should have dealt with this several years ago but it wasn’t that bad and we kept on it. Anyway, the point is, the seal should be replaced. Have you found a replacement seal? Love the layout of the 830, best floor space of any short bed we looked at. The tent has been our only issue.

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
I summoned a bit more Google-fu and found the place I'd found years ago, Bear Creek Canvas in Spencer, WI!

http://bearcreekcanvas.com/index.cfm

These guys know this tent quite well. I'll let you know what they say.
2007 Lance 1131