cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie needs help with WiFi!

Jas1317
Explorer
Explorer
Hi we just bought our first travel trailer and are about to hit the road for a few months! What are the best options for reliable WiFi? I want to be able to run a video and temperature monitor in the trailer if we ever leave our dogs (for short periods of time) (I could use equipment suggestions here too). I also need to be able to reliably work via zoom meetings. We plan to stay at campgrounds with WiFi service but you never know how reliable that is. Any tips appreciated!!
23 REPLIES 23

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
We have the AT&T unlimited in our Truck/Car/RV. Move it from location to location. Have only been slowed down once. Get a warning when data use hits 16G but that is it.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

Jas1317
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Jas1317 wrote:
Gulfcoast wrote:
If you go to an AT&T store they can set you up with an unlimited plan for your GMC truck that will provide unlimited hotspot for your truck plus your RV. It's a car connect plan.

It's $20 a month and mine works fine even in my RV.

Done! Thank you. This seems like a no-brainer. And inexpensive!

That only works if you don't mind leaving your trucks ignition in the Acc position the entire time, as the GM wifi shuts down 10 minutes after closing the door with the key off. I question the $20 per month for unlimited as I have had it since GM offered it in their trucks, and its $10 / month per GB. I have also been to many campgrounds in the NE or mid Atlantic where AT&T service is iffy, overloaded with users, or non existent, and in that case the truck wifi is dead in the water.

Thank you for this insight! What do you do for WiFi?
Towers are in urban and other highly populated areas or generally are installed along major or heavily traveled routes. Truly nice campgrounds are usually in rural areas where towers may not exist or are so far away to make them almost useless unless your idea of nice is a paved parking lot KOA next to an Interstate. The maps they issue for coverage are far from accurate and are skewed by the marketing department. No free lunch.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Jas1317 wrote:
Gulfcoast wrote:
If you go to an AT&T store they can set you up with an unlimited plan for your GMC truck that will provide unlimited hotspot for your truck plus your RV. It's a car connect plan.

That only works if you don't mind leaving your trucks ignition in the Acc position the entire time, as the GM wifi shuts down 10 minutes after closing the door with the key off. I question the $20 per month for unlimited as I have had it since GM offered it in their trucks, and its $10 / month per GB. I have also been to many campgrounds in the NE or mid Atlantic where AT&T service is iffy, overloaded with users, or non existent, and in that case the truck wifi is dead in the water.

Towers are in urban and other highly populated areas or generally are installed along major or heavily traveled routes. Truly nice campgrounds are usually in rural areas where towers may not exist or are so far away to make them almost useless unless your idea of nice is a paved parking lot KOA next to an Interstate. The maps they issue for coverage are far from accurate and are skewed by the marketing department. No free lunch.

Jas1317
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The SPARK is actually quite different in operation from the Mobley but you are right, it looks about the same.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the plan is available for $20 that will connect to a newer car or truck, or they sell a device called a SPARK which looks like a Mobley to me.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gulfcoast wrote:

Is the car connect plan still available? If so, it certainly would be available for the occupants of the truck but how would that get to the RV? Last I heard, when you turn off the truck the internet only stayed connected for about 20 minutes.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I have two older Mobley's that I use every day, but they are getting hard to find these days.

The new AT&T device is the Harmon Spark, but it's not needed in many new vehicles.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Add up your data requirements.

Decide what can be done with a throttle connection--and what can not.

In my own situation, my only wobbly wide web access is via cell phone(s).

I have two phones--both with "unlimited" data. I use the one with the least amount of "data" on it first. Then I use it throttled. When I find something that won't work on the "throttled" connection, then I switch to the other phone.

I can do netflix or zoom when throttled (0.57 megs, latency 54 ms unloaded, 1.5 seconds loaded, upload .93 megs, just measured with fast.com).

For netflix it may take a few seconds to start the stream (~30 seconds, just now)

There are devices that can be plugged into the obd port to provide internet access, such as the Mobley. They work if the ignition is turned on, and there are ways to power them without the ignition being on. Of course, there is a monthly charge to use them. For a time--they were sold with "unlimited" data. I do not know if that is the case any more.

This link is just to show you the device.

https://www.amazon.ca/ZTE-VM6200-Mobley-Mobile-Hotspot/dp/B0728FLZHD

This link is to AT&T

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car.html
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer

RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Jas1317
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Jas1317 wrote:

This is exactly what I need thank you. Are you a member? Iโ€™m wondering if I sign up will they give me a direct consult. I was up for hours last night reading all the free material lol.

They no longer do direct consults.

What are your needs?

What are your questions?

I need to teach courses and/or see patients on zoom approx 15 hours/week.
I also need to be able to run a monitor - video and temp - on my dogs in the camper occasionally - maybe a few hours/week.
I have a sprint phone with โ€œunlimited dataโ€ which I now understand is not unlimited.
So it sounds like I need to purchase a hot spot (how do I do this?!) just to connect my laptop to for the purpose of zoom.
And Iโ€™m not sure what else!
My truck is a new gmc and I understand that offers hotspot service somehow - I donโ€™t know if thatโ€™s worth it?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We've never been in a campground that had the bandwidth to allow streaming video

Maybe they exist. Plus when everyone logs on it gets even slower. Sufficient bandwidth is expensive and most campgrounds don't want to pay.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jas1317 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Read and research here - they are the gurus:

RVMobileInternet.com

Rob

This is exactly what I need thank you. Are you a member? Iโ€™m wondering if I sign up will they give me a direct consult. I was up for hours last night reading all the free material lol.

No - I am not a member, but I find their free stuff to be very useful for newbies. We have a grandfathered, truly unlimited plan on a Verizon hot-spot so we're covered. As pianotuna said, what other questions do you have?

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jas1317 wrote:

They no longer do direct consults.

What are your needs?

What are your questions?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.