Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Newbie needs help with WiFi!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Newbie needs help with WiFi!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jas1317 wrote:

This is exactly what I need thank you. Are you a member? I’m wondering if I sign up will they give me a direct consult. I was up for hours last night reading all the free material lol.

They no longer do direct consults.

What are your needs?

What are your questions?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jas1317 wrote:

Second Chance wrote:

Read and research here - they are the gurus:

RVMobileInternet.com

Rob

This is exactly what I need thank you. Are you a member? I’m wondering if I sign up will they give me a direct consult. I was up for hours last night reading all the free material lol.

No - I am not a member, but I find their free stuff to be very useful for newbies. We have a grandfathered, truly unlimited plan on a Verizon hot-spot so we're covered. As pianotuna said, what other questions do you have?

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've never been in a campground that had the bandwidth to allow streaming video

Maybe they exist. Plus when everyone logs on it gets even slower. Sufficient bandwidth is expensive and most campgrounds don't want to pay.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Jas1317

NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Jas1317 wrote:

They no longer do direct consults.

What are your needs?

What are your questions?

I need to teach courses and/or see patients on zoom approx 15 hours/week.
I also need to be able to run a monitor - video and temp - on my dogs in the camper occasionally - maybe a few hours/week.
I have a sprint phone with “unlimited data” which I now understand is not unlimited.
So it sounds like I need to purchase a hot spot (how do I do this?!) just to connect my laptop to for the purpose of zoom.
And I’m not sure what else!
My truck is a new gmc and I understand that offers hotspot service somehow - I don’t know if that’s worth it?

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go to an AT&T store they can set you up with an unlimited plan for your GMC truck that will provide unlimited hotspot for your truck plus your RV. It's a car connect plan.

It's $20 a month and mine works fine even in my RV.

* This post was edited 11/15/20 10:28am by Gulfcoast *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add up your data requirements.

Decide what can be done with a throttle connection--and what can not.

In my own situation, my only wobbly wide web access is via cell phone(s).

I have two phones--both with "unlimited" data. I use the one with the least amount of "data" on it first. Then I use it throttled. When I find something that won't work on the "throttled" connection, then I switch to the other phone.

I can do netflix or zoom when throttled (0.57 megs, latency 54 ms unloaded, 1.5 seconds loaded, upload .93 megs, just measured with fast.com).

For netflix it may take a few seconds to start the stream (~30 seconds, just now)

There are devices that can be plugged into the obd port to provide internet access, such as the Mobley. They work if the ignition is turned on, and there are ways to power them without the ignition being on. Of course, there is a monthly charge to use them. For a time--they were sold with "unlimited" data. I do not know if that is the case any more.

This link is just to show you the device.

https://www.amazon.ca/ZTE-VM6200-Mobley-Mobile-Hotspot/dp/B0728FLZHD

This link is to AT&T

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car.html

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two older Mobley's that I use every day, but they are getting hard to find these days.

The new AT&T device is the Harmon Spark, but it's not needed in many new vehicles.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

If you go to an AT&T store they can set you up with an unlimited plan for your GMC truck that will provide unlimited hotspot for your truck plus your RV. It's a car connect plan.

It's $20 a month and mine works fine even in my RV.

Is the car connect plan still available? If so, it certainly would be available for the occupants of the truck but how would that get to the RV? Last I heard, when you turn off the truck the internet only stayed connected for about 20 minutes.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the plan is available for $20 that will connect to a newer car or truck, or they sell a device called a SPARK which looks like a Mobley to me.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The SPARK is actually quite different in operation from the Mobley but you are right, it looks about the same.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Newbie needs help with WiFi!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.