cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter tire recommendations

TCjeff
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations for winter tires and wheels for our 2019 Ram 3500 dually? We live an hour north of Montréal Quebec. Winter can get nasty.
27 REPLIES 27

Hardscrabble
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:

I am 110% pleased with these Michelin Agilis CrossClimate LT-metric tires.
They are three peak rated tires.

They are excellent tire with great reviews.

Michelin Agilis CrossClimate

Just replaced my Goodyear Wranglers (had a hard 25k on them, TC onboard for about 17k, fine for non-winter driving but not my favorite tires) with these Michelin Agilis CrossClimate, E rated. In the North Country of NH, have driven in various winter conditions and find they are great. They are so much better than the OEM installed, they are quieter, great in the rain, are more surefooted. TireRack, got a great deal.
2019 Northern Lite EXSE, wet bath, 2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW Duramax w/ Bilstein 4600s, Torklift Stableloads/Fastguns, Timbren Severe Duty Bump Stops, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, WeBoost drive reach rv cell booster.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have a dually.....yet...... but I'm out in the sticks where we don't get plowed. Plus my driveway is steep and a 1/4 km long. I've gone up and down in a foot and a half of snow, unplowed. Both BFG KO 2's and Nitto Terra Grapplers did the trick quite well. The Nitto's are softer compound so wore faster (I keep the same tires 365/yr) and were a bit noisy on dry pavement. But the soft compound would a factor in being good in snow/wet.
Maybe a set that can be studded, if you're allowed?
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
billtex wrote:
Subaru

Yep. That'll add a good bit of weight in the bed and if it's still running, you can just drive it on and off......;)
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
redgart14 wrote:
I would recommend Cooper Discoverer. I bought a set of it from 4WheelOnline for winter last year and I'm satisfied with its traction and grip.

You realize there’s like a half dozen or more Discoverer models of tires.
From pavement pounders to mudders to snow tires. And everything in between.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....from Quebec here. We've used BFG TA/Ko "three peaks" tires, and now Goodyear Duratrac (huge rubber blocks, very deep tread) "three peaks" snow rated.

....however, we very rarely ever actually drive in snow conditions, because camper is stored indoors 7 months a year. But that 7 months doesn't guarantee that we won't encounter snow storms in Quebec outside that 7 month winter period. I've had to drive in snow when camper was out of storage in Quebec maybe ~4 times. Glad I had the above winter-rated tires! Once, while heading across Wyoming on way to Salt Lake City on I-80, we hit a 300 mile, um, blizzard, with tractor-trailers and vehicles off the road along the entirety of this storm in June, glad we are always prepared with "three peaks". I've never worn down a three peaks tire on our truck camper rig before needing to change the tires due to "old age but with plenty of tread left" and/or sidewall cracking, with plenty of tread depth.

On edit: BFG TA/Ko and Duratrac aren't the only tires used in our region (Eastern Townships mountains region)...our tire place sells tons of Blizzak and Nokian three peaks winter-rated rubber.....
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

specta
Explorer
Explorer
The three peak tires I have now are by for the best snow tire and all around tire that I've had on my truck.

I'm on my 6th set of tires, the five previous sets were AT tires and these out perform every one of them in the snow. MT tires would serve no purpose for me.

Winter tires are made of a softer rubber compound which generally wears quicker than all season tires.

Softer rubber compound means greater traction in just about every driving condition with the exception of extreme off-roading.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
As Fisherman says, winter tires are mandatory, not just all season, or 3 season up here.
Quebec Winter Tires

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

redgart14
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend Cooper Discoverer. I bought a set of it from 4WheelOnline for winter last year and I'm satisfied with its traction and grip.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
It’s just a question of do you “really” want a true cold Winter tire or not. For sure, they are better in really cold temperatures, but they aren’t as good the rest of the time.

Otherwise, I think almost any M+S will be fine with a TC in the bed.

Some areas such as Quebec, you must have winter tires, it's the law.

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
TCjeff wrote:
Any recommendations for winter tires and wheels for our 2019 Ram 3500 dually? We live an hour north of Montréal Quebec. Winter can get nasty.

Previously, I spent quite some time working in Windsor,QUE. an hour east of Montreal. Also, Dryden, Ont 3 hrs north of Ifalls MN and Prince Albert, Sak. I suggest you contact a couple of local reputable tire dealers and ask for their recommendation. The road maintenance and weather up there is quite different than what I have experienced in the States. "Nasty", is putting it politely.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
specta wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
but they aren’t as good the rest of the time.

Other than longevity what conditions are they not as good in?

Winter tires aren’t usually as good in Mud and Snow, hard rocks, or higher temperatures. 😄 Their blocks aren’t typically as far apart and the compound is softer. They are better on ice due to the amount of rubber on the road and a different compound that works better when it is cold.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
but they aren’t as good the rest of the time.

Other than longevity what conditions are they not as good in?
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of what everybody else likes the tires I recommended are better than all the others because they're the ones that I like. :B
Kenny

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
I used Brigestone Blizzak on my Toyota Tundra for YEARS in Fairbanks, AK. They are the cat's patootie. Highly recommended.

x2
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)