Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

settle an arguement

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

My husband and I are having a discussion about getting a 5th wheel. We currently have a TT but I've heard that a 5th is easier to tow. As I have not driven this TT, and I need to learn as we are not spring chickens, I was looking for something to make the drive easier for me.
Anyway, we have a 2015 F350, single rear wheel, crew cab, 4x4, 6.2 gasser. I say we should look at 5ths that are 10,000 or below. He says we can go higher. What is the formula again for determining weight?

Thanks!
37 REPLIES 37

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
BTDT and a 5er is IMO much easier to hitch and unhitch. It's also better at towing. My wife could've towed our last 5er easily. Not so with our current TT. It's just not as solid in some conditions as a 5th wheel is.
Side winds, semis don't faze 5th wheels like they do TT's.

Not so says the former owner of a Hensley Arrow TT hitch. Once hooked up it is solid going down the road. Blows the "fifth wheel is better towing" theory.

Very true. The nice thing is with a 5er is that you don't have to spend north of $2500 to have exc towing.
BTDT as well. I used an HA with a 1/2 ton and TT. It was every bit as good as my 5er. Most people won't buy a Hensley or PP so they'll never be in that group.

While a HA will make a TT tow like a 5er, there is a limit to what it can rectify. I see too many too small trucks towing too larger 5ers and seldom see the tail wag the dog!

HA is only for TTs and not FWs. For towing a FW comfortably, there's the TrailerSaver! Have that. Air ride for comfort and a true Holland Binkley head for safety. The name says it all!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
BTDT and a 5er is IMO much easier to hitch and unhitch. It's also better at towing. My wife could've towed our last 5er easily. Not so with our current TT. It's just not as solid in some conditions as a 5th wheel is.

Not so says the former owner of a Hensley Arrow TT hitch. Once hooked up it is solid going down the road. Blows the "fifth wheel is better towing" theory.

Very true. The nice thing is with a 5er is that you don't have to spend north of $2500 to have exc towing.
BTDT as well. I used an HA with a 1/2 ton and TT. It was every bit as good as my 5er. Most people won't buy a Hensley or PP so they'll never be in that group.

While a HA will make a TT tow like a 5er, there is a limit to what it can rectify. I see too many too small trucks towing too larger 5ers and seldom see the tail wag the dog!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I just don't believe one is "easier" than the other. Each has its advantages.

Exactly - if both set up right and matched to the correct truck.

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Scroll down to the last page on this Ford Towing Guide and see that your truck is rated for a max of 12,000 lb fifth wheel if you have the 3.73 axle ratio and 15,000 lbs if you have the 4.30 axle.

These would be loaded or GVWR weights on the trailer, so something in the 10k dry weight range is probably right.

Also remember that a 5er puts about 20% of its weight on the pin, so a loaded 15k trailer puts 15000 * 20% = 3000 pin weight plus hitch and whatever else is in the truck. Check the yellow weight sticker on the driver's door jamb so you don't go over that loaded weight for the truck.

Sorry to say this is one vote for the hubster....

Wow, where did you get the information on towing? I've not seen information presented that way. I have an Excursion I would like to look up. Thank you

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
To the OP. Please forward a resume in case this turns out bad. No pic needed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Well, I could post a picture of us towing our trailer with a 2000 Excursion, V10. Go Ford! ๐Ÿ˜‰

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
spud1957 wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
I towed a 10k 5th wheel for 7 years with a 6.2. Great combo. The F250 with 3:73 gears is rated to tow 12,000 lbs. For those asking, the payload of that truck is at least 2600 lbs.

Put the transmission in tow haul, lock out 6th year, drive it like you stole it.

Don't let anyone suggest you need a diesel. That's laughable.

S

My bad. I thought OP had a 250. Payload for 350 will be North of 3500 lbs.

Nope, not bad, just a detail! ๐Ÿ™‚ I know you well enough, to know that you would know, a 15 gas F350 would have much more payload. The OP says RAWR is 6290 on his 15 F350. That seems low to me??

Jerry

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
noonenosthis1 wrote:
So I went out to look at the white sticker-not yellow-on the door. Here is the gAwr for the front is 5200 and the rear is 6290. What is GAWR? We did not buy this truck new. There is a Federal Inspection sticker on the door where the truck was inspected in Yuba City, Caliornia. I can't imagine why it was inspected federally.

There should be a yellow sticker with payload rating and tire pressures in addition to the white sticker, but anyway, GAWR is the Gross Axle Weight Rating. Simply put, it's the maximum weight that each axle can carry. So your rear axle has a maximum weight rating of 6290 pounds. To me this sounds a little low for an F350, but IIRC the F350 SRW was available in a number of varying axle and gross weight ratings.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
I towed a 10k 5th wheel for 7 years with a 6.2. Great combo. The F250 with 3:73 gears is rated to tow 12,000 lbs. For those asking, the payload of that truck is at least 2600 lbs.

Put the transmission in tow haul, lock out 6th year, drive it like you stole it.

Don't let anyone suggest you need a diesel. That's laughable.

S

My bad. I thought OP had a 250. Payload for 350 will be North of 3500 lbs.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
lane hog wrote:

Yes, the fifth wheel is far easier to drive and hitch/unhitch than a bumper pull TT.

Hitching is easier with a 5th wheel if you are doing it by yourself as you can see the hitch as it mates with the pin while from the drivers seat.

We always operate as a team, so not a lot of difference. Just a couple more minutes to hook up the weight distribution bars.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
mich800 wrote:
This forum is pretty good at losing sight of the forest for the trees. The short answer is one is not easier than the other for your question. There are differences and those will be personal in nature.

Sorry to disagree, but a 5er is far easier to hitch, and is naturally far stabler than a TT going down the road.
Totally agree. I don't feel the bow wave I experienced by passing semis when towing a TT. As a matter of fact, I don't even know I'm being passed by a semi towing my fifth wheel - have been surprised a few times.

The OP has a 1 ton truck with a gas engine - should have plenty of payload. I'd go with something that has a rear living layout with dual opposing slides to give more room around 30 - 35 feet long.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I agree don't change from TT to a 5'er solely for towability reasons. A properly set up TT tows fine. I agree a fiver tows better right out of the box, a TT requires effort to dial in the WD hitch. However once it's done your fine.
In terms of how big to go . I see your gas engine as the limiting factor.
With the inclines in NorCal I suggest staying close to 10K and not to exceed 12K for a relaxing tow.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP. Please forward a resume in case this turns out bad. No pic needed. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Puma 30RKSS