Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: settle an arguement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> settle an arguement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
noonenosthis1

northern california

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

My husband and I are having a discussion about getting a 5th wheel. We currently have a TT but I've heard that a 5th is easier to tow. As I have not driven this TT, and I need to learn as we are not spring chickens, I was looking for something to make the drive easier for me.
Anyway, we have a 2015 F350, single rear wheel, crew cab, 4x4, 6.2 gasser. I say we should look at 5ths that are 10,000 or below. He says we can go higher. What is the formula again for determining weight?

Thanks!

Wayfarer

Northeast Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first thing is to look inside the driver's door for a yellow sticker. The sticker will tell how many pounds your truck can tow. For 5th wheels the formula for weight that the truck carries is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating(GVWR) of the RV time 20%. So if the 10000 lbs is the GVWR, not empty weight (UVW), then you would plan for 2000 lbs on the truck. I would think your truck should have over 3000 lbs of capacity. You have to allow for the weight of the 5th wheel hitch, passenger, and any other things that you carry in the truck. Normally an F-350 gas truck can handle much more than a 10000 lb RV as far as weight goes. Now if you will be happy with how well the truck will pull the trailer (power wise) is another conversation.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scroll down to the last page on this Ford Towing Guide and see that your truck is rated for a max of 12,000 lb fifth wheel if you have the 3.73 axle ratio and 15,000 lbs if you have the 4.30 axle.

These would be loaded or GVWR weights on the trailer, so something in the 10k dry weight range is probably right.

Also remember that a 5er puts about 20% of its weight on the pin, so a loaded 15k trailer puts 15000 * 20% = 3000 pin weight plus hitch and whatever else is in the truck. Check the yellow weight sticker on the driver's door jamb so you don't go over that loaded weight for the truck.

Sorry to say this is one vote for the hubster....

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just don't believe one is "easier" than the other. Each has its advantages.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rule of thumb......get what the wife wants.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no set formula save for the solid recommendation to stay below the rated towing capacity of your vehicle as a conservative yet competent upper limit.
And depending on the basis for that limit, is also dependent on how much "better" it tows.
IE: your truck, gasser, the limit is more based on the the truck's power to move the load well. At your limit, it will not have the power to pull grades at the same speed as a diesel and not as good of grade braking.
Diesels limits are generally the chassis rating and at the (higher) limit of a diesel (apples to apples trucks), the limit is generally based on the chassis limits.

"Better"? Again subjective. Generally GNs and 5vers are more stable than conventional hitch trailers. And they can generally be turned tighter and backed into tighter spaces than the same length bumper pull trailer.
Putting on alot of miles, I'd rather have a 5ver. Occasional towing, I'd take the $ savings of a TT over a comparable size 5ver.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would rather be at the very max with a 5th wheel than a TT any day.

As far as I am concerned bigger is not always better. Many great spots have length restrictions.

OK having said that start with your actual tow capacity including all options. Anything that reduces capacity must be considered. Your owner's manual or the towing guide will have this. Don't just look for the highest number, you need your number. Keep the trailer GVWR within this tow rating for best results. Look in the footnotes if there is any reduction due to frontal area of the trailer.

Next you need to prove out the weight carrying capacity to carry the pin weight, hitch weight, extra truck cargo weight. This may also reduce the size of the trailer.

You could weigh the truck and post the front and rear actual weights and post the actual trailer model you are considering for best answers.

Yes this is a bit tedious and frustrating. I don't think 10,000 is a magic number. And we don't know if that is dry weight, Gross weight, or something in the middle.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noonenosthis1 wrote:

Hi all,

My husband and I are having a discussion about getting a 5th wheel. We currently have a TT but I've heard that a 5th is easier to tow. As I have not driven this TT, and I need to learn as we are not spring chickens, I was looking for something to make the drive easier for me.
Anyway, we have a 2015 F350, single rear wheel, crew cab, 4x4, 6.2 gasser. I say we should look at 5ths that are 10,000 or below. He says we can go higher. What is the formula again for determining weight?

Thanks!

You don't give any numbers about your TT, but your gas engine might feel quite underpowered towing a fifth wheel. A general rule of thumb has been over 10,000 lbs = diesel truck. And I learned the hard way.

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- Coming Up

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Rule of thumb......get what the wife wants.

Yes, what is the husband thinking? [emoticon]

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you buy the 5th wheel you want and the truck proves to be too small then you just buy a truck that's right for your 5ver. If you buy a 5ver that's small enough for your truck and decide it's too small for you, you have to start all over again to be happy.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> settle an arguement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.