Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: settle an arguement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> settle an arguement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a 10k 5th wheel for 7 years with a 6.2. Great combo. The F250 with 3:73 gears is rated to tow 12,000 lbs. For those asking, the payload of that truck is at least 2600 lbs.

Put the transmission in tow haul, lock out 6th year, drive it like you stole it.

Don't let anyone suggest you need a diesel. That's laughable.

S

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This forum is pretty good at losing sight of the forest for the trees. The short answer is one is not easier than the other for your question. There are differences and those will be personal in nature.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTDT and a 5er is IMO much easier to hitch and unhitch. It's also better at towing. My wife could've towed our last 5er easily. Not so with our current TT. It's just not as solid in some conditions as a 5th wheel is.
Side winds, semis don't faze 5th wheels like they do TT's.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could carry the pin wt of a loaded to 14-15K wt FW. However, from my experience, I'd not want to pull/tow much over 10K, with my 3.73 gears, for long distance use. If your truck has the 4.30 gears, I'd consider 12-13K actual loaded to camp wt.

Just to compare, my 250 door sticker is 3,232, and you likely have 4,XXX on your 350 door payload sticker.

You will like the towing of a FW, compared to a TT. You will like the ease of hookup with a FW. You will need to be more cautious of height. It will take a bit to learn the difference of backing a FW.

Jerry

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

This forum is pretty good at losing sight of the forest for the trees. The short answer is one is not easier than the other for your question. There are differences and those will be personal in nature.

Sorry to disagree, but a 5er is far easier to hitch, and is naturally far stabler than a TT going down the road.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

noonenosthis1

northern california

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I went out to look at the white sticker-not yellow-on the door. Here is the gAwr for the front is 5200 and the rear is 6290. What is GAWR? We did not buy this truck new. There is a Federal Inspection sticker on the door where the truck was inspected in Yuba City, Caliornia. I can't imagine why it was inspected federally.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

The only question mark I see in the original post is asking how to determine weight. Once the question was answered correctly several times others moved on to the various other points the OP brought up. I think everyone was trying to be helpful and nice.[emoticon] We got to see the forest AND the trees - that's what camping is all about!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noonenosthis1 wrote:

Hi all,

My husband and I are having a discussion about getting a 5th wheel. We currently have a TT but I've heard that a 5th is easier to tow. As I have not driven this TT, and I need to learn as we are not spring chickens, I was looking for something to make the drive easier for me.
Anyway, we have a 2015 F350, single rear wheel, crew cab, 4x4, 6.2 gasser. I say we should look at 5ths that are 10,000 or below. He says we can go higher. What is the formula again for determining weight?

Thanks!

Trucks Rear Axle Weight Rating will be the limiting factor
Trucks rear axle has to CARRY the 5th wheel pin weight
2015 F350 SRW probably uses a 6340# RAWR

22% Wet Pin weight.....14,000 GVWR 5th wheel ----3080#
That will put you close to trucks RAWR (check what tires Maz Load Ratings is also)

That would be the MAX I would tow with F350 SRW
Gas Engine...might even go 12K Max just so it was fun to tow.
Struggling to tow...hills etc is no FUN
No FUN...you go camping less cause it is not FUN

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A fifth wheel trailer pulls from the truck bed instead of near the bumper. That makes your truck more level, it doesn't jerk your rear axle around as much, and it is much harder to jack knife. It is easier to maneuver a 5er in close quarters.

They tend to be tall with more wind resistance, and they tend to be bigger and heavier than TTs.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 5th wheel does tow better...BUT (BIG BUT) if your travel trailer is set up correctly, it should be quite comfortable to tow. (Grew up with a travel trailer, owned 3 5ers and currently have a travel trailer again). With a newer 1 ton truck and properly set up weight distributing hitch, you should have a nicely towing rig.

Honestly, unless there is some other reason, I wouldn't change out the rig just for towing ease.

The Pin weight is likely the limiting factor with you 1 ton truck but you will have to get used to winding up the RPM in a lower gear. Assuming the truck is in good running order, this won't hurt anything but people get nervous running 3000-3500rpm. If you push up in the 14-15k range, expect to spend a lot of time running at high RPM.

It is a good idea to get some practice in case there is an emergency and you need to move her. Ironically, we were just talking about this with the new travel trailer and have it scheduled for our next move on Saturday.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> settle an arguement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.