Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: settle an arguement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> settle an arguement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noonenosthis1 wrote:

We currently have a TT but I've heard that a 5th is easier to tow.....we have a 2015 F350, single rear wheel, crew cab, 4x4, 6.2 gasser. I say we should look at 5ths that are 10,000 or below. He says we can go higher.

I've towed both. My old TT with a Chevy 6.0L gasser then my current Ram with 6.7L Cummins and then later a 5th wheel with the Cummins.

There are definitely advantages to both types of trailers. Hitching up a TT isn't a big deal. Some say it is and that's why they go with a 5er, but I never really had a problem with it. 5er's are pretty easy to hitch up but a mirror or camera certainly helps. The biggest difference is turning and steering. Neither is bad or good, just different when it comes to taking corners and backing into camping spots. One other thing is TT's can tend to be lower and easier to get in and out. 5er's tend to be taller and have more steps both into the trailer and also into the front bed area.

As others have said, your F350 is rated for 12,000lbs at least. That's fine, but I see your location is Northern California which means some decent hills, valleys, and elevation changes. Because of that, I'd say you stay under that 12,000lbs range for your truck. Sure, it's RATED for that or more, but climbing steep inclines will make that gas motor scream. Yes, that engine is built to rev and will do it well for a long time, but I can tell you when I had my Chevy, listening to that engine rev at 4,000RPM as I pulled up long hills got very tiring. There is absolutely nothing wrong with towing up to the engineering limits of the vehicle but hearing the engine rev for long periods of time can get old pretty quick.

'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

noonenosthis1

northern california

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"That's fine, but I see your location is Northern California which means some decent hills, valleys, and elevation changes. Because of that, I'd say you stay under that 12,000lbs range for your truck. Sure, it's RATED for that or more, but climbing steep inclines will make that gas motor scream. Yes, that engine is built to rev and will do it well for a long time, but I can tell you when I had my Chevy, listening to that engine rev at 4,000RPM as I pulled up long hills got very tiring. There is absolutely nothing wrong with towing up to the engineering limits of the vehicle but hearing the engine rev for long periods of time can get old pretty quick. "

True, true, true. If you want to go anywhere in NorCal, you will go up a hill or a mountain and then come down. I really really really hate listening to that rev. I was looking at Forest River, Sabre Cat and they have a nice 5 under 10000. Our current TT is a Keystone Cougar 32reswe.

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your F-350 SRW is a fine vehicle, and you'll be able to go higher in weight than 10K.

Yes, the fifth wheel is far easier to drive and hitch/unhitch than a bumper pull TT.

Chances are good you'll find most manufacturers offer pretty much the same floorplan in both a TT and FW. That was our experience looking at Jaycos and Grand Designs, aside from the one floorplan we chose.

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/20 03:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noonenosthis1 wrote:

So I went out to look at the white sticker-not yellow-on the door. Here is the gAwr for the front is 5200 and the rear is 6290. What is GAWR? We did not buy this truck new. There is a Federal Inspection sticker on the door where the truck was inspected in Yuba City, Caliornia. I can't imagine why it was inspected federally.

your 2015 F350 DOES have a yellow Tires and Loading sticker. It'll say "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs". It's either on the driver's door frame or the door itself.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/20 03:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP. Please forward a resume in case this turns out bad. No pic needed. [emoticon]

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree don't change from TT to a 5'er solely for towability reasons. A properly set up TT tows fine. I agree a fiver tows better right out of the box, a TT requires effort to dial in the WD hitch. However once it's done your fine.
In terms of how big to go . I see your gas engine as the limiting factor.
With the inclines in NorCal I suggest staying close to 10K and not to exceed 12K for a relaxing tow.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

mich800 wrote:

This forum is pretty good at losing sight of the forest for the trees. The short answer is one is not easier than the other for your question. There are differences and those will be personal in nature.

Sorry to disagree, but a 5er is far easier to hitch, and is naturally far stabler than a TT going down the road.
Totally agree. I don't feel the bow wave I experienced by passing semis when towing a TT. As a matter of fact, I don't even know I'm being passed by a semi towing my fifth wheel - have been surprised a few times.

The OP has a 1 ton truck with a gas engine - should have plenty of payload. I'd go with something that has a rear living layout with dual opposing slides to give more room around 30 - 35 feet long.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lane hog wrote:

Yes, the fifth wheel is far easier to drive and hitch/unhitch than a bumper pull TT.

Hitching is easier with a 5th wheel if you are doing it by yourself as you can see the hitch as it mates with the pin while from the drivers seat.

We always operate as a team, so not a lot of difference. Just a couple more minutes to hook up the weight distribution bars.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

I towed a 10k 5th wheel for 7 years with a 6.2. Great combo. The F250 with 3:73 gears is rated to tow 12,000 lbs. For those asking, the payload of that truck is at least 2600 lbs.

Put the transmission in tow haul, lock out 6th year, drive it like you stole it.

Don't let anyone suggest you need a diesel. That's laughable.

S

My bad. I thought OP had a 250. Payload for 350 will be North of 3500 lbs.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noonenosthis1 wrote:

So I went out to look at the white sticker-not yellow-on the door. Here is the gAwr for the front is 5200 and the rear is 6290. What is GAWR? We did not buy this truck new. There is a Federal Inspection sticker on the door where the truck was inspected in Yuba City, Caliornia. I can't imagine why it was inspected federally.

There should be a yellow sticker with payload rating and tire pressures in addition to the white sticker, but anyway, GAWR is the Gross Axle Weight Rating. Simply put, it's the maximum weight that each axle can carry. So your rear axle has a maximum weight rating of 6290 pounds. To me this sounds a little low for an F350, but IIRC the F350 SRW was available in a number of varying axle and gross weight ratings.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> settle an arguement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.