Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Bees with an attitude
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Bees with an attitude

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....the purest Africanized bee (meeting all the genetic criteria) are slightly smaller than our European variety (unmixed with Africanized DNA), I read. The Africanized variety can fly at appx. 15 ~ 20 miles per hour, apparently, under ideal conditions.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The European honey bees have very good eye sight and do recognize the bee keepers, when I was at the boarding school in Sweden the grounds keeper had six bee hives, and I was very interested in them so he loaned me the hat and mesh, I was worried about the hands and arms and he told me not to worry they would not sting, they did not sting me.

After a little more than three months the bees recognized me and I was able to lift the mesh and eventually take the hat off, as I approached the hives they would start bussing around me and some would land on my face and then take off, never got stung.

When the time came to transfer a new queen to a new beehive, I would help with the making of the new wooden box and the frames, then we would take the new hive to the area where the new colony would be established and the new queen bee was placed in a small wooden cage, I would tie the little box to my neck on the back and walk or bicycle the swarm to the new location, the area where the school is located has apple and pear groves, the smallest production area produces 20 to 25 crates of apples or pears, in private gardens in town.

The African bees were imported to Brazil, for a study since they produce more honey per hive than the European bees, in Brazil the hives were equipped with a "comb" it is basically a structure that permits the workers to go past but not the queens, since they are larger and do not fit through.

Along comes one of the bee keepers and removes the combs, lack of communication from the bosses and plain ignorance are wonderful, so the bees are now out, and slowly they migrated to the rest of the continent.

And now we have the hornets from Asia, those suckers are nasty and they kill the good bees that we need for agriculture, so those of you that live in Western Canada and North Western USA keep an eye out, just remember the bees are small yellow about the size of the last bone in your pinky and the hornets are orange and as big as your thumb and have really big eyes.

You all bee good now ya hear

navegator

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

try this
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjH5p6P6YPtAhU6JTQIHbu4BJkQtwIwAHoECAYQAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVe2zGTR_KxA&usg=AOvVaw3fAW9q9MsoGTTxyEsLVDmP

* This post was edited 11/14/20 10:32pm by Tom/Barb *

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb

I can't seem to get the link to work?

Is your power back on after the wild weather day yesterday? We lost our power for 6 hours and we're glad for our new natural gas generator. I used to back-power the home refrigerators/freezers from the motorhome generator, but this is much better.

Ron

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The link works for me.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pangaea Ron wrote:

Tom/Barb

I can't seem to get the link to work?

Is your power back on after the wild weather day yesterday? We lost our power for 6 hours and we're glad for our new natural gas generator. I used to back-power the home refrigerators/freezers from the motorhome generator, but this is much better.

Ron

we are back to normal today, but stand by for another storm tonight..

we don't worry, we have a motorhome, just move in and turn the heat up.

we lost power around 1130 AM to about 1 AM, just leave the freezers closed.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, bad link

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pangaea Ron wrote:

Sorry, bad link

Copy then paste the link.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...link--> This will work; much shorter link to the Youtube assassination hornet report.

IMO, I think it is extremely rare historically that any invasive insect had (ever?) been eradicated from North America. With 200 queens being produced from that particular reported single nest, and 70-odd escaping....good luck. I think that these hornets are here to stay.

EdwardHeavy

New York

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is quite dangerous to be hit by such bees. If you have an allergy, you can even die

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Bees with an attitude
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.