Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: living full time internet needs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> living full time internet needs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Cmccain13

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I will be living in the RV full time and will b e working 8hrs a day via the internet. I have looked at alot of things on the internet and im still at a loss on whats the best option for me, i am thinking of just using my phone for hotspots and see how that works, but does anyone have a better idea for a solution?

Seattle Steve

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not trying to be rude, but with about ten thousand other people besides you deciding to do the same thing this year, I think we're all getting tired of seeing this exact same question.

Please do a search. You will find lots of threads discussing the same thing.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are traveling, finding locations with good reception regardless of what equipment you have, will always be an issue.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wife purchased a small device called a hot spot, both for the laptop and the cell phone, what amazed me was the phone connection in Colorado in the middle of the mountains on the way to Durango and she is confirming the reservation for the RV park, that's power I never expected that!

navegator

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use a dedicated hot spot device or use your phone as a hot spot. Figure out which is cheapest with the cellular plan that you have or search for other cellular plans. The "unlimited" plans generally have data caps that may result in reduced speed.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cmccain13 wrote:

So I will be living in the RV full time and will b e working 8hrs a day via the internet. I have looked at alot of things on the internet and im still at a loss on whats the best option for me, i am thinking of just using my phone for hotspots and see how that works, but does anyone have a better idea for a solution?

We are not full-timers, but using our phones as a hotspot works great when out and about in our RV.

HOWEVER - for your situation you need an unlimited data plan for the phone(s) that you use as a hotspot,

AND (now here's the tough part),

those unlimited data plans must be NOT SPEED TROTTLED down to below boradband speeds at some data usage level. Good luck on finding that kind of a "totally unlimited" plan for your phone(s).

I think that the new upcoming low Earth Satellite Systems may be the (only) answer to both unlimited data combined with no throttling to below broadband speeds. [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a direct result of the business that I was involved in, I had to learn and learn fast because all the places I had to be had poor coverage in that time. (It is better now.)

After I struggled, I found out about Wilson Electronics and bought the kit from them. Actually, the first of three. So, go there and and study up. Then, when you have made a decision, jump in with both feet. At that point, whether you use a Hot Spot device or your own phone (what I have done most) is completely your choice. My phones have always managed to support both may wife and I no at the same time. As the current repeater is a cradle type, it only manages a single device at one time.

Why have I had three??
The first was basic cell.
The second was for 3G.
Now we are at 4G. And every major change was also a band change as will also happen with 5G.

With the repeater (booster) in the coach, it didn't matter where I was, I could reach suppliers and clients (the people that wanted to pay me) could reach me.

The real surprise was when we finally actually used that coach for a vacation. At that time, it was published that there was a dead area between Amarillo and Albuquerque along I-40 and we never saw it.

We have also since (now retired) lots of places that others did not have success, but we did.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given your situation buy the very best booster you can find that includes 5G. A roof top antenna, amplifier and internal antenna. And the best yagi antenna and 20' or more of poles and support for even weaker areas.

Matt is right, Wilson is excellent. Don't even consider the price, just hold up your credit card as your job may depend on the very best.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

one_strange_texan

The Woodlands, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having full-timed for about 3 years now, I can tell you that the cell service providers can give you pretty good service depending on your proximity to their towers. The catch is that you have good speeds up to 15GB data transfer a month. If you go over that amount, they slow you down noticeably. I you are doing online meetings with your work, this might be a problem. You can use a phone, tablet or a cellular based hot spot, all working pretty well up to the 15GB/month limit.

one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. find a cell company that offers the amount of high speed data you desire.

2. buy a dedicated backwards compatible 5G data device (for example, a mifi)

3. purchase a cell booster and good antenna to boost reception, a mast is a good addition to have. I used a painters pole which could be extended as necessary.

4. 25 miles is the outside limit--if you are farther away than that, the necessary "hand shaking" will time out, even with a strong signal.

5. don't use the booster unless you must--they may slow down data when there is an adequate signal.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> living full time internet needs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.