Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jacking up an RV

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Rockwood Ultralight

I need to raise it up about a foot off the ground. Plan is to jack it up, slide boars under the tires, and the lower the jack back down.

Can i just jack on the bumper without bending it or the frame? I would jack where the frame meets the bumper.

How would you raise it up?
19 REPLIES 19

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
Sorry..............couldn't resist.
I could, but I'm glad you couldn't! ๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
swimmer_spe wrote:
dryfly wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
1999 Rockwood Ultralight

Plan is to jack it up, slide boars under the tires, and the lower the jack back down.

Sliding a boar under the tires is dangerous. They are mean and will try to bite you. Also, they will probably get away before you can lower the jacks back down.

You win!!!!

So, How else do you get a boar under an RV?

A pile of carrots, parsnips or potatoes will bring them in on their own.

A .300 Winchester Magnum will keep them there.......

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
So this will be a semi permanent raising?

Bottle jack under bottom spring leaf next to axle & lift as planned. Up, transfer weight back to wheel, re block, lift again, transfer etc. till you are at the height you want to be.

Yes, it will be semi permanent.

That was what I was avoiding having to do, but it sounds like the best way to prevent damage.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
So this will be a semi permanent raising?

Bottle jack under bottom spring leaf next to axle & lift as planned. Up, transfer weight back to wheel, re block, lift again, transfer etc. till you are at the height you want to be.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
I cannot do ramps. There is a bar that hangs down to catch the curb at the back that would prevent me from using ramps. Those would catch the ramps.
you can pull forward on them also. Make like a step chock. Move peices as needed. Go up a few inches, move the blocks around to the front and add another board. Jacking will work also, but you will need a level surface and a good base for a bottle jack. And dont put your hands under the tires ,just incase!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally jacking at bumper not good idea on RV

My favorite position for jackinmg depends on if I wish to lift the tire off the ground but. Under the axle where the springs attach for tire lifting.
Where the springs attach to the frame for other lifting.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
1999 Rockwood Ultralight

Plan is to jack it up, slide boars under the tires, and the lower the jack back down.

Sliding a boar under the tires is dangerous. They are mean and will try to bite you. Also, they will probably get away before you can lower the jacks back down.

You win!!!!

So, How else do you get a boar under an RV?

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
1999 Rockwood Ultralight

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I use a floor jack with a stack of 2x4s to get the height needed. Jack point is the frame close to the spring hanger. Then I set the frame on 12T jack stands.

To just change a single tire I use a small hydraulic to lift the axle direct just enough to get the tire half inch off the ground. I jack on the U-bold to avoid axle tube damage.

What work are you doing?

I did this to replace all 4 tires, 2 tires at a time, one side at a time. I think my jack stands were 3 ton each. Bottle jack is 9 ton placed just in front and just behind the spring shackles. Trailer gross weight loaded at the time was about 6000.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
swimmer_spe wrote:
Parking it at a seasonal site but needing it high enough for the honey wagon to get under the pipe.
OK I would tend to extend the pipe to be convenient.

Otherwise jack on the frame not the bumper.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot do ramps. There is a bar that hangs down to catch the curb at the back that would prevent me from using ramps. Those would catch the ramps.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
Tbh, i would just make a ramp the correct height and pull or push the camper onto the blocks. 1 foot isnt a lot of height. After rasing it , you may need blocks for the stabilizers and toung also. Could you dig a hole for the honey wagon? If you didnt get one yet they sell low profile ones also.

Ditto on ramps, 12 inches is a long way using bottle jacks. Floor jacks require a hard surface to work from, like concrete.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Tbh, i would just make a ramp the correct height and pull or push the camper onto the blocks. 1 foot isnt a lot of height. After rasing it , you may need blocks for the stabilizers and toung also. Could you dig a hole for the honey wagon? If you didnt get one yet they sell low profile ones also.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.