Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Proper Hydraulic Fluid to use?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Proper Hydraulic Fluid to use?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
murphys law

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Everyone,
I'm still a newbie and I have a question as to what is the best hydraulic fluid to use for my rig. We have a Class A 2007 Winnebago 33 ft Voyage. The leveling system is Level Best made by Kwikee. I have read not to use Dextron 111. I have the rear passenger jack that is leaking, I've checked the hoses,and they are good,so it must be a seal gone bad. (?) I purchased Lucas Hydraulic Oil Booster and stop leak. It's as think as jelly, so I don't want to use it.
Also, I thought about replacing all 4 seals on the jacks, but I was told from Winnebago Parts that I need to purchase new jacks, etc at $800.00 each.... I'm sure there is an aftermarket seal kit that I can get, but I have no idea where to begin to search. I greatly appreciate any an all advise as to the best hydraulic fluid for my unit and any aftermarket seal kits to use.
Thank You !!

Home Skillet

Pearland Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, don't use the stop leak fluid.

Try to find a repair shop that does automotive hydraulic lift repairs.
They can take you jack and find a seal that works.

2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 12:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farm equipment repair, ask around the local co-op

I wish I had one close by, I could get my powergear curbside rear jack repaired

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hydraulics are used in many industries. Search for shop that specializes in that equipment. You might need to remove/replace it yourself, or hire somebody else to do it.

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/20 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stop thinking of this as an RV item that needs repaired. The cylinder is no different that that is used on a backhoe, front end loader, dozers and such. Getting it repaired shouldn't be a problem. Just keep in mind that shop service might cost around $100 an hour so there is a point when replacement is a more economical option but you won't know unless you try.

When I had an internal leak by, jack would extend and retract but would not lift the coach, I open a Google Map of my area (southeaster Virginia) and search for "hydraulic cylinder repair". Returned a dozen of possible sources to investigate within a 45 minute drive.

I removed the jack, four bolts and two hydraulic lines, drove down to the closest shop. They said no problem, shop service is $X per hour and shouldn't be more than 2 hours with $X for material. A few days later they call as the jack was ready. Reinstalled and cycled the jacks for full retract to full extent a few times to bleed any air and all was good.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHERE did you read not to use Dextron 3. Motorhome Hydraulic Jack/slide systems ALL use Dextron 3. From the Kwikee owners manual. Doug

1. Be sure the leveling jacks are in the retracted position. Remove the breather cap
on the reservoir and check the fluid level in the reservoir. The fluid level should be
approximately 1" below the top of the reservoir. This standard provides an adequate
amount of fluid for the levelers to operate efficiently. If the fluid is below this level, add a
sufficient amount to bring the level up to the operating standard. When filling the
reservoir, use transmission fluid only. We recommend Dextron III. Do not mix fluids.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NEVER USE ANY TYPE LEAK STOP IN A SLIDE OR JACK SYSTEM. IT WILL GUM UP THE VARIOUS SOLENOIDS AND VALVES. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

Farm equipment repair, ask around the local co-op

I wish I had one close by, I could get my powergear curbside rear jack repaired

LCI sells the rebuild kits for Powergear Jacks. Doug

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Motorhome Hydraulic Jack/slide systems ALL use Dextron 3"

Not ALL systems use what you mention. Some use a different hydraulic oil including mine. Besides, there is no such thing as "Dextron"; it is Dexron.

The Dexron fluid can be used but it will discolor anything it touches red. That is why some systems, including mine,use a colorless hydraulic fluid. Probably the same composition but who knows

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/20 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dexron ATF is used in a lot of consumer jack systems mostly because it's readily available. A close straight hydraulic oil equivalent is AW32. It can be used in most jacks, but never use it in an automatic transmission since it doesn't have the correct friction modifiers that the clutch bands need.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Proper Hydraulic Fluid to use?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.