Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Proper Hydraulic Fluid to use?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Proper Hydraulic Fluid to use?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navigator2346 wrote:

"Motorhome Hydraulic Jack/slide systems ALL use Dextron 3"

Not ALL systems use what you mention. Some use a different hydraulic oil including mine. Besides, there is no such thing as "Dextron"; it is Dexron.

The Dexron fluid can be used but it will discolor anything it touches red. That is why some systems, including mine,use a colorless hydraulic fluid. Probably the same composition but who knows

Sorry about the t. Dexron has a red dye. HWH fluid is Dexron 3 without the red dye. State what system you have that does NOT use Dexron 3. System and what fluid is recommended. Doug

murphys law

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all your responses. It is greatly appreciated !!
Sincerely,
Steve

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

murphys law wrote:

Hello Everyone,
I'm still a newbie and I have a question as to what is the best hydraulic fluid to use for my rig. We have a Class A 2007 Winnebago 33 ft Voyage. I have no idea where to begin to search. I greatly appreciate any an all advise as to the best hydraulic fluid for my unit and any aftermarket seal kits to use.
Thank You !!

I have no idea why this is such a constant perplexing issue. Start with your owners manual(s). READ THEM! What do they say? Use the fluid(s) they recommend. Not that hard. Do you really think that some anonymous voice on the internet knows more about your system than the people (engineers) who designed and built it and 10,000's of others like it? Really? Getting it repaired is a different issue.

You already have good advice about where to get the seal kits and where to have them installed.

Chum lee

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navigator2346 wrote:

"Motorhome Hydraulic Jack/slide systems ALL use Dextron 3"

Not ALL systems use what you mention. Some use a different hydraulic oil including mine. Besides, there is no such thing as "Dextron"; it is Dexron.

The Dexron fluid can be used but it will discolor anything it touches red. That is why some systems, including mine,use a colorless hydraulic fluid. Probably the same composition but who knows

SO, what Year/Brand/Model RV do you have and what Oil does it use????? I have 41 years as an RV Tech and have NEVER seen a Slide or HYD Jack system use anything but Dexron 3 or HWH clear fluid that IS Dexron 3 without the Dye. Doug

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dexron III is getting a little harder to find, but Dexron VI and Dex/Merc are commonly available even in convenience stores and are fully backwards compatible with Dex III. AW32 hydraulic oil will also work ok. In an emergency, even household vegetable oil will work as a jack oil but should be flushed out and replaced with Dex at the first opportunity. Never use AW32 or vegetable oil in a transmission though!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 04:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL. A guy was drilling near where I was unloading. I noticed a drum of vegetable oil on his truck. At lunch, I had to ask why. "Do you know what it costs to clean up after a leak of normal oil?"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Proper Hydraulic Fluid to use?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.