Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The strange ramifications of COVID shutdowns
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> The strange ramifications of COVID shutdowns

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Mountain Jack

Shangri-La,Mountain in SW OR, above the Gold Creek

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to the little grass shack on Kauai. Enjoy a pig Luau...[emoticon][emoticon]

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/20 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mountain Jack wrote:

Go to the little grass shack on Kauai. Enjoy a pig Luau...[emoticon][emoticon]

LOVE pig roasted on a spit!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have gained weight because of it. Most times when camping I have no problem walking up to quarter mile, hang dog on a tree or post long to use restroom, and walking back.
We haven't camped as often, and when we do I avoid public restrooms.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One effect, entirely understandable but unexpected until it happened: part of my business is drafting contracts for tourism industries. Some clients had model contracts in place for 10 years or more.....all of a sudden, I'm hearing from those clients for the first time in many years: "What does my contract say about / how does it deal with COVID-cancellations?"

Lots of interesting dynamics on that one....

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What has happened to me / things I have done as a result of COVID:

1. Lost 25+ lbs while working at home for about 3 months (March-June) and then noting being able to dine-in at eateries for at least another month or so.

2. I Bought an RV the day before stuff started getting shutdown in WA. (bought it March 12th). A few weeks to a month later, the RV market was on fire - dealers were selling RVs that had been on their lot here in Spokane, WA for 6+ months and couldn't get a steady flow of replacement inventory. By mid July I decided two RVs was too much of a nuisance. I saw an opportunity to sell the RV I bought in March and not lose any money on it.

I listed it and had it sold within two weeks. My selling price was about $400-500 below my purchase price including tax when I also factored in the upgrades I did to it.

It was one of the best selling models from ORV. Link to it is in my Signature. I loved it, but unless I was full timing, it was a bit overkill for a solo traveler.

3. For most of July (and part of February-May) I kept waffling on selling and replacing my AF811 truck camper (listed in my signature).
I stopped at a dealer near the factory while enroute to Colorado in early August. I stopped again on my way home. I also stopped and looked at a beat-up used AF 992 at another dealer in WA on my way home.
I decided this was also the perfect time to list my AF811 and "see what happened." I was convinced that there was no better time than the present to sell it, since new and used inventory was scarce. I had watched campers arrive at the local dealer sell within weeks (or less) or arriving. This was another "flag in the air" telling me to list it.
I got way more than I expected to get for it. The day after I got the offer, I went and looked at a nice AF992 which I had already made arrangements to look at. I bought it with the proceeds from selling the 811 and some of the $$ from the ORV TT I sold.

I am still in awe what I got for my 10.5 year old AF 811.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post deleted - I stand corrected.

* This post was edited 11/19/20 08:40am by wing_zealot *

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the last 10 years the US Death Rate has been steadily rising. The death rate for this year is about average for the last 10 years (and tied for the lowest rate of increase in 7 years).

Please read what the mod (and I) requested.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

Over the last 10 years the US Death Rate has been steadily rising. The death rate for this year is about average for the last 10 years (and tied for the lowest rate of increase in 7 years).Clicky

Sorry Crow and Mod I can’t let this misinformation go unaddressed. I have no issues with my post being deleted when the post I am responding to is deleted.

This is from the linked site posted as proof of no death increase for covid. The quoted statement can be found at the top of the linked page in a red box.

Quote:

NOTE: All 2020 and later data are UN projections and DO NOT include any impacts of the COVID-19 virus.

* This post was edited 11/19/20 07:54am by BCSnob *

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What repercussions I've experienced from Covid ?
It encouraged me to retire early and changed my mindset as I was an hardcore workaholic for many years.

I've enjoyed 2020 immensely and learned to relax and enjoy life to the fullest.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

What repercussions I've experienced from Covid ?
It encouraged me to retire early and changed my mindset as I was an hardcore workaholic for many years.

I've enjoyed 2020 immensely and learned to relax and enjoy life to the fullest.

I'm working from home... the new home is a campground that we put up a park model as a "future" retirement home. Our B&M sold in 5 days, just waiting for the closing now.

Wife's (and my) insurance is driving my remaining work time. No more than 27 months. New truck in roughly 12 months, 5th wheel in about the same time frame.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> The strange ramifications of COVID shutdowns
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.