Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The strange ramifications of COVID shutdowns
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> The strange ramifications of COVID shutdowns

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/20 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son does Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA) fencing and does demos at Renaissance fairs. Of course none of them have been held this year. With Thanksgiving approaching there have been the usual turkey-related articles, but one caught his attention. It seems the cancellation of the Renaissance fairs has caused a glut of turkeys. If you've ever been you'll know that one of the fan fav meals is turkey legs. No fairs, no one's eating turkey legs, the fairs aren't buying turkeys so there is a turkey glut. Whoda thunk?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not being able to have large groups makes the XXL turkeys useless too. Who wants to cook a 25+ lb turkey with only a couple of people to try and devour it. There would be a lot of leftovers and there's lots of people that don't have a clue what to do with it. It's getting apparent in the grocery stores where you can buy a lot of precooked ready to heat and eat stuff, people too lazy to make their own. Worst is, who knows what actually goes into those pre made servings.

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife's son says he is limited to 6 guests for Thanksgiving.

But 25 can attend a funeral.

So his is having a funeral on Nov 26 for his turkey at his home.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sales on frozen turkeys means more supplies to go in our freezer. We’re one of those who don’t mind cooking large birds for just the two of us. I just pick the carcass clean putting the bits of cooked meat back into the freezer for future meals.

We’re not traveling to higher risk areas (my family near Chicago her family in SC) or having guests for thanksgiving. We’ve not decided what the two of us will have for thanksgiving; turkey (need to buy) vs leg or loin of lamb (already in freezer).

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

My wife's son says he is limited to 6 guests for Thanksgiving.

But 25 can attend a funeral.

So his is having a funeral on Nov 26 for his turkey at his home.

Funerals are outside.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will be outside, on his patio.

It's a joke....

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For many years we tell many in the extended family where we will be for Thanksgiving, anybody want to join is welcome. I cook the whole feast over charcoal and wood fire, with Dutch ovens and cast iron pans. Most years, "Your crazy, cook and eat outside?" This year, some are asking where we will be. Thinking about how to stay spread out to cook, set up a buffet line, then each family unit unmask, eat at separate table.
In years past I have looked around CG while cooking. If I see anybody camping by themselves, I invite them to join us.
(Years past I have spent holidays in truckstop. Welcome by strangers is not as good as family, but better than alone) This year, that is out of question.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Sales on frozen turkeys means more supplies to go in our freezer. We’re one of those who don’t mind cooking large birds for just the two of us. I just pick the carcass clean putting the bits of cooked meat back into the freezer for future meals.

We’re not traveling to higher risk areas (my family near Chicago her family in SC) or having guests for thanksgiving. We’ve not decided what the two of us will have for thanksgiving; turkey (need to buy) vs leg or loin of lamb (already in freezer).

Same here -just yesterday we bought two 18 pounders at .67 per pound.
I love the drumsticks, and the brown meat. Then a week later bits of turkey in gravy over mashed potatoes. Then a month later home made turkey and vegetable soup with home made bread.

Guy

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/20 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We take one whole turkey and part it out, legs, thighs, wings, and debone the breast, and the carcass for soup, then vacuum seal portions, it'll easily stay in the freezer 6 months without freezer burning.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> The strange ramifications of COVID shutdowns
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.