cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flying to the USA and shipping car

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.toronto.com/news-story/10242786-canadian-snowbirds-find-creative-way-to-get-to-florida-w...

I saw this article a few days ago but you may have to register to see it. In case that happens I will post the abridged version. Snowbirds in Eastern Canada are shipping their vehicles to Buffalo or Detroit and flying via Helicopter or private flight. Then they drive to their winter homes in Florida. BC snowbirds could do this as well. There are companies that transport vehicles to the USA for American car dealers. I thought about doing something similar.
13 REPLIES 13

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
35-55% have people who get a mild case of covid and don't need the hospital, are still sick months later.

92% of people who are hospitalized are still sick, months later.

50% of people who have no symptoms at all have heart damage.

I'm in the first group. I had an extremely mild case of covid in March. I never even had a fever. Just a bit of a cough. I was able to keep working at home.

My doctor had me decreasing my steroid inhaler dose, phasing it out, when I had a relapse in July. I learned that a relapse in month 4 is very common. It made me worse than I was with the original illness.

8 months later, I'm on the highest dose of steroid inhaler. I can be out of bed an active for 1 hour per day. Then I run out of air and it takes me 23 hours to recover.

I'm alive, but it's not much of a life. I don't recommend it.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Reisender wrote:
Itโ€™s the utter disregard for the health care workers that gets me. Complete burn out in some places already. But hey, itโ€™s their duty to look after me, even if Iโ€™m a moron and ignore their professional council.

X2
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Itโ€™s the utter disregard for the health care workers that gets me. Complete burn out in some places already. But hey, itโ€™s their duty to look after me, even if Iโ€™m a moron and ignore their professional council.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
99.6% survival rate.

Buy some new batteries for your calculator.

Even using round numbers thereโ€™s been 10.9 million cases in the US so far. 0.4% would then be 43,600 deaths.

Except thereโ€™s been 245,000 deaths, thatโ€™s 5.6 times more than 99.6%.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
99.6% survival rate. Don't believe the hysteria. If you're afraid then stay home but the rest of us should be able to lead our lives, we'll even stay in your empty camping spots.

Actually it is 97.5% survival rate in the US, using the US stats.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
For some of us, avoiding death is not living.
This virus matter may well drag on for a lot longer. A year or two more would not be beyond belief. The development, distribution, and followup of any vaccine will take a lot longer than our politicians wish us to believe.
For those of us of a more advanced age, it may well be the best choice to go on about our affairs, taking practical precautions, and go on with our lives.
I see not a thing unethical about those who, following the laws, decide to fly down south and ship their vehicles. (Though if it were me, I'd just buy a beater down there.)

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Forget false statistics. When hospitals have zero icu beds and thereare bodies piled up in portable morgue the reality trumps your survival statistic. It is also getting worse by the day.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
99.6% survival rate. Don't believe the hysteria. If you're afraid then stay home but the rest of us should be able to lead our lives, we'll even stay in your empty camping spots.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tequila wrote:
Always amazes me how much effort people go to to commit suicide.

Great comment.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone coming here from Canada at this time is being foolish IMO. The US virus rates are skyrocketing! My GP is a personal friend and he is really nervous.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Always amazes me how much effort people go to to commit suicide.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got monies to spend....you too can find a loop hole
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Moisha,

There is a thread on this here:

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30166531.cfm

Personally I do not approve of this "letter of the law" approach,
and with 4 million active cases I'm not going south this year.
Regards, Don