Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Must-haves for Van or SUV as tow vehicle?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Must-haves for Van or SUV as tow vehicle?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 03:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

okhmbldr wrote:

Yes, the V6 can handle a long trip. I can only speak from my own experience. I have a 2014 GMC Acadia that I ordered with the "trailering Package". It included the 4-pin wiring harness, hitch, larger radiator and transmission cooler. I have pulled a 5000# trailer with no problems. My normal hwy gas mileage is about 22-24, pulling the trailer dropped to 16. The V6 produces almost 300 hp, so it works well at pulling. The tow capacity with the towing package is 5100#. Without the tow package the same vehicle is limited to 3500#.

How do you tow a 5000lbs TT with a 4 pin harness, since 5000lbs trailers have electric brakes. By law, you're required to have a brake controller to power the electric brakes, which requires a 7 pin harness.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

okhmbldr

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 11/15/20 10:05am by okhmbldr *

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

okhmbldr wrote:

bikendan wrote:

okhmbldr wrote:

Yes, the V6 can handle a long trip. I can only speak from my own experience. I have a 2014 GMC Acadia that I ordered with the "trailering Package". It included the 4-pin wiring harness, hitch, larger radiator and transmission cooler. I have pulled a 5000# trailer with no problems. My normal hwy gas mileage is about 22-24, pulling the trailer dropped to 16. The V6 produces almost 300 hp, so it works well at pulling. The tow capacity with the towing package is 5100#. Without the tow package the same vehicle is limited to 3500#.

How do you tow a 5000lbs TT with a 4 pin harness, since 5000lbs trailers have electric brakes. By law, you're required to have a brake controller to power the electric brakes, which requires a 7 pin harness.

Cite the law.

Every state has a law requiring brakes on anything over X amount of weight. As well as a breakaway system. At 5k lbs you are far over even the minimum weight of some state requirements at around 3k lbs. It's even in the owners manual. Do you run a Weight Ditributing hitch? I'm sure your 5k trailer has more than 500lbs of Toungue Weight!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"cite the law"

bikendan is right . Will this suit you oklahoma?

https://dps.georgia.gov/sites/dps.georgi........t_1210/12/14/162466397fact_sheet_054.pdf

* This post was edited 11/15/20 07:32am by an administrator/moderator *

horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you’re back to motorhomes, don’t rule out small class As IMO.
Find the best deal you can with the lowest miles and best maintenance prioritized over your “ideal” floor plan.
Agree, with no towing experience, a single large vehicle will be safer and more comfortable for you to drive

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Tortiemctortiepants

VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do need to look into class A’s... for some reason I had it in my head that they were all really big so I had ruled them out. I’m not sure what the difference between a’s and c’s are, so I’ll have to do some research. Thanks for the suggestion!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The difference between class C and class A motorhomes are what sort of chassis they're built on.

A class A motorhome is built on a bare chassis or a dedicated bus chassis. The coach builder creates all the bodywork for the vehicle.

A class B motorhome is built inside a cargo van, with the van maker supplying all the outside bodywork (except possibly for a raised roof).

A class C motorhome is built on a cutaway chassis or cab-and-chassis, with the vehicle chassis manufacturer supplying the cab portion of the bodywork and the coach builder the rear house part of the bodywork. Most but not all class C's have a cabover bunk or entertainment center area, giving them a somewhat distinctive look from the side. Most if not all of what are sold as "Class B+" motorhomes are technically class C motorhomes; class B+ is nothing more than a marketing term.

A (very) few oddball motorhomes don't neatly fit into one of the three classes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Must-haves for Van or SUV as tow vehicle?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.