cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Smoker Ideas??

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wondering if anyone has an electric or propane smoker they bring camping? Ideally it would be small enough to easily bring with us on trips but not to small to be used at home as well. I think I'd prefer electric but propane would work as well. Lot's of mixed reviews searching the internet so looking for recommendations of something I can put on my list to Santa. Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

scubastu
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I use a Trager pellet Grill (https://www.traegergrills.com/pellet-grills/portable/scout) I have used it for the last 3 years no problem.

All be safe,

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the GMG Davey Crocket. Set it and go do your thing. No tending to the smoke all day.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use our Cobb Grill for smoking. The best I've found for it's size and cooking.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Another Davey Crockett user here. It runs off of 12vdc and has an adapter so it can run off of 120vac also. The unit has a PID controller that keeps temps spot on. The Treager does not have a PID and the temps can swing pretty good.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bring the right kind of wood and smoke meat over an open fire.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you already carry a grill for normal grilling, look at using an
A-maz-n tube or maze---- I have the tube and it does a reasonable job using my standard table top grill. Link to their website
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great info all. Thanks. I'll look into these options!

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
+1 Green Mountain Davy Crockett

We were traveling with a group a while back, someone had one, and everyone else ended up buying them. We also use the pizza oven attachment all the time.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a Green Mountain Davey Crockett. It has been travelling with us in the storage bays of 2 motorhomes over the past 4 years. It requires electric power, but will run on either 110V or 12V. I've had electric and propane in the past, but you can't beat a pellet smoker for convenience and ease of use to cook true wood smoke BBQ.

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Traveler Country Smoker. It's the smallest I could find that would easily fit into the space available in my RV, but it has a fairly large cooking surface (about 12x13 in). It does use 110v to run the igniter and fan but it can be run on an inverter. The power draw was too much for my RV inverter, but since the igniter is the big power draw and only runs during startup it can be disabled. This is actually recommended or suggested by the manufacturer when doing dry camping or tailgating with the unit. Doing this requires manually starting the pellets and I use a small butane torch for that. After that the inverter in my RV supplies power to run the fan. I've dry camped and smoked meats with this setup and the power draw is so minimal that my solar panels more than keep up with the power needs. One modification I made to the unit was to install a small switch on the back to disable the igniter circuit so I can use it dry camping or enable it when I have power. That saves me having to remove the side panel and unplug the igniter when dry camping.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Look for Alton Brown "Good Eats" videos on YouTube. He has made smokers out of an electric hot plate, small cast iron frying pan with wood chips and some kind of box (cardboard is probably NOT strong enough). A decent thermometer is critical.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Green Mountain Davy Crocket pellet smoker stored. Note alternate table top legs/springs. Operates on 12V DC or 120V AC.

Deployed and ready. Note: I also remove it and use the main legs and also use it at home.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob