Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: How to test rv converter?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to test rv converter?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP needs to disable his solar or he could get false readings.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

OK by checking battery voltage you have verified no converter power getting to the battery.
Most likely the converter is dead. You may as well remove it for a bench test. Yes you are looking for about 13.6 volts output any time it is powered up. Don't replace it with a WFCO.

Do not have to remove it. Just disconnect the output wires. Turn on the converter and measure the empty output lugs. Not rocket science.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

jornvango

Full-time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Do not have to remove it. Just disconnect the output wires. Turn on the converter and measure the empty output lugs. Not rocket science.

I disconnected the 2 positive cables from the electric panel. I assume one of these cables goes to the battery, the other the converter.
One cable showed 12.6 (which is the current battery level), the other cable shows 0.00V

23hotrodr

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jornvango wrote:

Quote:

I disconnected the 2 positive cables from the electric panel. I assume one of these cables goes to the battery, the other the converter.
One cable showed 12.6 (which is the current battery level), the other cable shows 0.00V

You have definitely confirmed your converter is not making 12 volts dc. You need to confirm that you have 120 volts ac feeding your converter as previously described in this thread. You cannot have 12 vdc out if you have no 120 vac into it. If you confirm 120 vac, you definitely have a problem with the converter. If you do not have 120 vac to the converter, you must resolve that problem.

2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

jornvango

Full-time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update: I installed a new Progressive Dynamics converter series 4600 today and everything is working again. I also installed the optional remote control for the converter which shows what the converter is doing at any given moment (what stage of charging it is in).

Before I installed the converter, the battery was a 12.6V (thanks to the solar panel). Once I turned on the new converter, it jumped to 13.4V and it's been in the converter's 'normal' stage of charging since then.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to test rv converter?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.