cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadians still crossing into the USA

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Recently the Canadian Snowbird org. stated that 30% of their snowbirds are still going to travel south. I was quite surprised but after reading the article I can understand their reasoning. Many stated that due to age in a few years travel would be difficult or they might not live that long. So this could be their last hurrah. Some were flying to the warm destination while others were shipping a vehicle and just flying across the border. In another thread many posters criticized this as circumventing the rules. I disagree. There are no rules forbidding flying from Canada to the USA. There are no rules that prohibit shipping a vehicle from Canada to the USA. We can all disagree as to whether they are taking a chance on being infected but I chose to think that perhaps they feel one trip (maybe their last) to their favorite warm spot is a good idea in spite of the danger.
9 REPLIES 9

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK I'll jump in - In my opinion Canadians in the US are not the problem - The US problem is US citizens in the US.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
This is certainly a time for sadness.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I applaud their ingenuity, however, I like getting RV spaces in AZ state parks that were full last year.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's sad that the border has been closed. I Like seeing the Canadians in Arizona and hope to see a few this winter.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œ If they get sick, it's on them. As long as they don't put others at risk, I could care less...โ€

If that very sick Canadian is taking a U.S. ICU hospital bed, the Canadian is putting U.S. residents at risk.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I have no issue with Snowbirds making the trip. They're adults. If they get sick, it's on them. As long as they don't put others at risk, I could care less. I believe it's each individuals responsibility to make sure they take whatever precautions are necessary to keep everyone they come in contact with safe and keep themselves safe as well.

Ive tried not to get involved in these threads, but this really sums up how I feel and why we are looking forward to heading south this winter.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
The one caveat to your post is that for those "older" folks you mention,,,,, many are going from areas with very low incidents of Coronacrud, to areas with much higher incident rates.
It appears the timing of the new vaccines is about 2 months late to both protect them, and the US.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have no issue with Snowbirds making the trip. They're adults. If they get sick, it's on them. As long as they don't put others at risk, I could care less. I believe it's each individuals responsibility to make sure they take whatever precautions are necessary to keep everyone they come in contact with safe and keep themselves safe as well. There can be all sorts of mandates and rules but ultimately it's up to each and every one of us to be careful. I don't need anyone telling me...........well, I'll leave it at that.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
They are exploiting a loophole. Justification isnโ€™t excused by age, bad heart, lame left leg etc. In fact it shows a tremendous lack of imagination...the ability to entertain oneself at home. The โ€œdangerโ€ is if they get really sick they will occupy a U.S. covid hospital bed. What if you are turned away from a full hospital because a Canadian that used a loophole is in it?