Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Elon's Starlink Internet Service
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Elon's Starlink Internet Service

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most recent info from the beta testers for the Starlink service.
Hardware costs to be a beta tester $499.
Monthly service $99/month.
No information thus far on end user experience or expectations for the service. Lots of speculation and hopes but few actual experiences. It's also still unknown how many users are using the few satellites currently in orbit (yes, I call less than 100 few) and how additional users or satellites will effect the experience and the cost.
I have great hopes for Starlink. I just don't have any hopes that this will be anything usable by us common folks in the next few years.
Point of interest, however, is that if the service was $99/month and you still had to pay for a streaming service to watch TV you would still be better off with DISH or DirecTV plus a stand alone internet service.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I understand, beta testers are lined up against the Canadian border since the deployed satellites are currently in that location. Also, you need a very large unobstructed area of the sky for the antenna to work. I forgot what current speeds beta testers are getting but they are very good.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld is correct. I also read that Starlink will only be available for stationary use so traveling in an RV and having Starlink won't be an option. At least not in the next few years. Paying a lot for cell phone data or using Dish or Direct TV will be the only options for RVers for quite some time.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill, they are reporting 800 satellites in orbit as of October. They release about 60 every launch.
There's more than 800 Starlink satellites in orbit now. CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — SpaceX successfully launched a full stack of Starlink internet satellites into today (Oct.Oct 18, 2020

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starlink

And like anything satellite, cloud cover and precipitation will affect reception. But in areas without access alternatives, it's better than nothing, albeit expensive.

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a link to a partial list of confirmed Starlink Speed Tests

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if these satellites will eventually be used to track all 5G users?

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The early reviews I have read about the Starlink Beta tests are extremely promising, and consistent with the speed tests listed above. 100 - 120Mb down and ~30Mb up. Latency is also good, ~20ms.

As of now they don't have the satellite to satellite backhaul operational, so you have to be able to see a satellite, and the satellite must also be able to see a ground station. Once the sat-sat link is running, then it can be a truly global network service.

For now they are fixed operations only because of the reason above, and because that is all they are licensed for. However they already have some marine terminals deployed, so mobile operations are definitely coming soon.

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

I wonder if these satellites will eventually be used to track all 5G users?

Not if you have your tin foil hat on.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Point of interest, however, is that if the service was $99/month and you still had to pay for a streaming service to watch TV you would still be better off with DISH or DirecTV plus a stand alone internet service.

YES.

That $99 is only the BEGINNING of the charges that it WILL cost you to stream your favorite channels.

As it is right now, to get some shows you have to pay Amazon for "Prime" at $100 per yr..

You want Disney? Yep, you WILL pay for their streaming services $10 per month?

Then you have Hulu, HBO, Netflix and so on.. Many of these services have specific programming not available to other services so you are forced to subscribe to them all.. Then you have bunches of bills to pay..

At least with Direct and Dish, you have one bill and then for Internet you have only one bill for that.. and by the way, Dish and Direct GIVE you additional channels/choices when you connect the receiver to the Internet at no extra charge depending on what your package includes..

$5 here, $10 there it all adds up, add up all of those pay streaming services and it will be more than paying Dish or Direct..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Elon's Starlink Internet Service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.