Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Pro trailer back up assist
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pro trailer back up assist

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
I'm curious why someone would practice using this feature rather than practicing using the steering wheel to back up? For those of you who have it on your truck, is it even worth hooking it up?

* This post was edited 11/15/20 04:15pm by 4x4ord *

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not going to watch a 30 minute video on the system. But I do have it on my Expedition MAX. I've set it up to work with both my boats. Only used it once - when I went out with a group of people, and no one was comfortable backing up the trailer to retrieve the boat at the launch ramp.

The system worked well enough to have someone with limited experience successfully back down the boat ramp.

Spend anytime at a boat ramp (or honestly a campground), and you quickly see there is a real need for a product like this.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^Interesting, I struggle understanding how turning a knob vs turning a steering wheel makes backing up easier. I guess the secret is that letting go of the knob let’s the computer work to straighten the truck and trailer out.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you've seen the commercial of the girl using it to back her TT into a busy gas station you know the people this is intended for! I know of no one that would back into a gas station spot!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^I haven’t seen the commercial nor have I driven a truck with this backup feature but my suspicion (which may be totally wrong) is that anyone capable of backing a trailer into a gas station stall using pro backup assist could, with very little practice, back up a trailer into a gas station stall using a steering wheel.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never used the system myself or seen it used, but from what I understand it greatly simplifies the backing process by automatically initiating the countersteer required to get the trailer moving the right way, and then turning the wheels the other way to straighten the trailer out, while not allowing the front end to swing into anything or jackknife the trailer. All that stuff is pretty intuitive to an experienced trailer backer, but with this system all you do is turn the knob the way you want the trailer to go. I'd like to try it at some point.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

I'm not going to watch a 30 minute video on the system. But I do have it on my Expedition MAX. I've set it up to work with both my boats. Only used it once - when I went out with a group of people, and no one was comfortable backing up the trailer to retrieve the boat at the launch ramp.

The system worked well enough to have someone with limited experience successfully back down the boat ramp.

Spend anytime at a boat ramp (or honestly a campground), and you quickly see there is a real need for a product like this.

Why a limited experienced driver backing at the dock, I value my equipment more. First vehicle was 1885 and people have been backing them since, if you can't back without this you need more practice. Why do the manufactures think we need more trinkets? How many semis are on the road and they do not have backup assist. My backup assistant rides shotgun and watches as I back and lets me know I need to adjust. Simple but a little higher maintenance with food, cloths, housing, etc, but way better company.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 01:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like back of truck is squatting pretty good.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been backing up trailers the old way for 45 years and as a rule don't use backup assist. However, for people that aren't set in their ways it can be useful. And I suspect that if I were to tow smaller trailers I would find it much more useful. Big trailers that are easy to see and respond slowly are easy to back up. Small utility and Wave Runner trailers can be very challenging to see and they jackknife in a heartbeat. The backup assist can see the trailer all of the time, respond very quickly for that type of trailer and let the driver focus on where they want the rig to go and not running over anything else in the process. I see the value more for those trailers.

I cringe every time I see the commercial with somebody backing up a big toy hauler in a gas station. I have had too many people jump into the blind spot behind the trailer in those situations for me to even consider backing up more than a few feet.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have it on my new truck and would never think to use it... There is no way I am allowing a computer to do my work [emoticon]

Seriously,

I do have it but like above, I've been backing trailers for many, many years and have no need for it.. I DO see the reason its here as I have seen my share of BAD BACKERS ! ! !

Like anything else, I guess it has it's place

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pro trailer back up assist
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.