Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Pro trailer back up assist
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pro trailer back up assist

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would rather spend the time learning how to back up without the computer!
our youngest DD is an equestrian, has two horse trailers, both GN, one about 20' two horse, I call it her Daily Driver. She uses it for hauling her horses to riding lessons. She whips that around like it isn't back there.
The other is a four horse with small living quarters a bit over 30', but axles located near the rear of the trailer, she does just as well with this one.
This is it when we were picking it up with the old 2001 Ram 2500.

[image]

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

I think I would rather spend the time learning how to back up without the computer!
our youngest DD is an equestrian, has two horse trailers, both GN, one about 20' two horse, I call it her Daily Driver. She uses it for hauling her horses to riding lessons. She whips that around like it isn't back there.
The other is a four horse with small living quarters a bit over 30', but axles located near the rear of the trailer, she does just as well with this one.
This is it when we were picking it up with the old 2001 Ram 2500.

[image]

My daughter can do the same with her GN horse trailer but as I said, big trailers are easy. A trailer like this would be a test on anyone's skills and that is where I think the assist would be most useful. And once you learn how to use the assist you might find it more comfortable in other applications.

PWC on trailer

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen enough people trying to back their trailer into a camping spot to know there are lots of people that would use it, including myself.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It might not be overly long and the computer will be able to back up better than those of us who think we know what we are doing but I can’t imagine using this technology at its present state. Someday maybe the driver will just have to tap the screen and slide an image of his trailer into position and hit enter. From that point the truck will drive him to the campground, back the trailer into the spot and hand him a cold beer as he sits and watches the trailer self level and pop out all 16 and 1/2 slides.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The world is being dumbed down to the point where humans can't do anything for themselves. Go to the store, buy precooked food, drivers pay less attention because they have lane departure sensors, why pay attention to things in front of you, there are automatic braking systems, and least but not last, the gizmo to back up your vehicle and trailer.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I set it up when I got our new F150. Used it once to try it out - haven't touched it since. Simply don't see it as advantageous in any way.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in 2015 I was in Key Largo at a nice campground and had a water front spot right at the boat dock.

The boats would come and go, and they would have the danrest time backing up...

I took this picture of a kid who had to be 10 years old,, he whipped that around and put that trailer exactly in the middle of the ramp....

I would have never believed it if I was not sitting there...
I asked his dad about it and they have a farm in Texas and he helps on the farm...
[image]

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best backup aid that I have is the camera mounted 10ft in the air on the back of my motorhome. It lets me see the trailer, where we are going and everything behind us. With that setup I can back a car dolly into a campsite with a 32' motorhome. I have even backed up with the car still on the dolly. There is no way that I would try either of those without the aerial view. And it is great with horse trailers too.

It is just too difficult to get that type of mount on a pickup truck.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always have to wonder when I in a CG why so many people that can't handle their rig think they need to open the exhaust for more power. Spend half hour geeing and hawing is one thing, but do you need to do it in a vehicle blasting "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I CAN'T DRIVE WORTH A SNOT, BUT LOOK AT ME!
Trying to convince DW we don't need 2 cars. She wanted a back-up camera in pickup. Everybody told me how great it would be great for hooking up trailer. Might work better if I would look at it...

srt20

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have it, but have never set it up or used it. It might be useful, but I trust my ability to back any trailer into any spot I think it will fit. Short or long.

True story!
My brother and SIL have a boat and go to the lake almost every weekend in summer. My SIL is better at backing trailers than my brother, so she does the backing into the water and he drives boat on trailer.
Many times the guy in line before her cant back his empty boat trailer in to save his life. So after he struggles for a few mins, she will go up and ask if he wants help. The guy will almost always say I just bought this last week. She will say no problem, I can back it in for you. And 10/10 times the guy will get out of the vehicle before she can finish the sentence. IMAO.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pro trailer back up assist
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.