Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Pro trailer back up assist
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pro trailer back up assist

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
srt20

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Back in 2015 I was in Key Largo at a nice campground and had a water front spot right at the boat dock.

The boats would come and go, and they would have the danrest time backing up...

I took this picture of a kid who had to be 10 years old,, he whipped that around and put that trailer exactly in the middle of the ramp....

I would have never believed it if I was not sitting there...
I asked his dad about it and they have a farm in Texas and he helps on the farm...
[image]

Thank you for this! Reminds me that I need to start thinking about teaching my 9 yr son how to do things like this.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had it two years, haven’t used it yet.
Not that I haven’t tried.
You have to calibrate your trailer to your vehicle and I haven’t been anywhere straight and fairly level long enough to do so anytime I thought to try it ;(
I’ll have to make a special trip to do so to a large open parking lot with my TT.

Plus I’ll have to renter the measurement data for the trailer since I flipped the axle. And enter that as a new trailer. Apparently it will not allow editing an existing stored trailer in the memory.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srt20 wrote:

I have it, but have never set it up or used it. It might be useful, but I trust my ability to back any trailer into any spot I think it will fit. Short or long.

True story!
My brother and SIL have a boat and go to the lake almost every weekend in summer. My SIL is better at backing trailers than my brother, so she does the backing into the water and he drives boat on trailer.
Many times the guy in line before her cant back his empty boat trailer in to save his life. So after he struggles for a few mins, she will go up and ask if he wants help. The guy will almost always say I just bought this last week. She will say no problem, I can back it in for you. And 10/10 times the guy will get out of the vehicle before she can finish the sentence. IMAO.

I respect a person that accepts help a lot more than one who obviously needs it but refuses it.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srt20 wrote:

Thank you for this! Reminds me that I need to start thinking about teaching my 9 yr son how to do things like this.

Set him up with the riding lawn mower with the little utility trailer attached.

Little risk of expensive damage and if he can back that around the yard, a pickup and a travel trailer will be easy.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

It might not be overly long and the computer will be able to back up better than those of us who think we know what we are doing but I can’t imagine using this technology at its present state. Someday maybe the driver will just have to tap the screen and slide an image of his trailer into position and hit enter. From that point the truck will drive him to the campground, back the trailer into the spot and hand him a cold beer as he sits and watches the trailer self level and pop out all 16 and 1/2 slides.

Actually, the computer can do it better already. A computer can place the trailer within an inch or so of where you want it.

The issue is by the time you set it up and dial it in, you may as well have learned how to back a trailer.

Honestly, I think the biggest issue people have is they rush. It's particularly bad at boat ramps because they see the next guy waiting to launch/retrieve so they try to hurry. Then it gets whopper jawed so they feel more pressure and quickly it gets out of hand really quick.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I consider this feature similar to the feature that some cars/suv's have that will automatically parallel park themselves. I will say that if my truck had this feature I would try it out.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

I'm not going to watch a 30 minute video on the system. But I do have it on my Expedition MAX. I've set it up to work with both my boats. Only used it once - when I went out with a group of people, and no one was comfortable backing up the trailer to retrieve the boat at the launch ramp.

The system worked well enough to have someone with limited experience successfully back down the boat ramp.

Spend anytime at a boat ramp (or honestly a campground), and you quickly see there is a real need for a product like this.

How many semis are on the road and they do not have backup assist.
I often have to receive trucks at work... So I get to watch a lot of truck drivers back into the docks. It is amazing to me how many struggle with this.... Perhaps they should target the semi market for this "trinket"

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
540 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It used to be that commercial truck drivers were, as a rule, quite skilled. It seems to me that since they started wearing different head coverings their driving has gone to $&!t.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I often have to receive trucks at work... So I get to watch a lot of truck drivers back into the docks. It is amazing to me how many struggle with this.... Perhaps they should target the semi market for this "trinket"

I have seen this all my life. OTOH, in my lifetime I have seen a lot of people that did not appear to be qualified to do the job.

4x4ord wrote:

It used to be that commercial truck drivers were, as a rule, quite skilled. It seems to me that since they started wearing different head coverings their driving has gone to $&!t.

Over the years I have worked with a lot of drivers, and never saw where head gear or skin color had much to do with skill level. Hired 1 guy, application said worked for trucking co for years. Every time I saw the truck, turn signal was flashing. Paid him off after 2 days. Another, customer called, "this guy keeps going past the job" I called him "What's going on?" "They want me to blindside in!" Man, you're driving a straight truck, on a closed street. Paid him off that afternoon

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m sure there is not a direct link from skin colour to driving skill. What happened around our area is that many unskilled people migrated into our province and soon learned that with little to no training anyone could get a class 1 license. With a class one you could get a decent job so in no time our roads were filled with semi drivers who really had no training or experience driving truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pro trailer back up assist
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.