Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Pro trailer back up assist
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pro trailer back up assist

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

Why do manufacturers think we need more trinkets? One, because it is profitable for them. Two, because many people can't back up. Lots of folks out there that rarely if ever pull trailers. This is a great system for them.

One of the reasons I'm asking how useful people are finding this technology is that I am looking at the differences between what Ram offers vs Ford. Because I generally don't keep my trucks that long I wondered if, 3 or 4 years down the road, selling a Ford with back up assist would be an easier sell than a truck without it. So far it seems that very few people see much value in it. In a way this thread is kind of funny ..... we are all expert backer uppers yet the campgrounds and boat launches are full of people who haven't a clue how to back up a trailer.[emoticon]

First, that individual feature wouldn't sway me one way or another.

Second, I think that trying to make any decision on a particular feature from feedback from THIS forum is .........unwise. It is just way too small of a sample size, and consists of folks with a VERY narrow, yet common, interest. I'd be shocked if anyone on this site would fess up to NEEDING the system. Everyone here is experts (as you said).

Third, the system, at least in my mind, would see a higher % of use in the 150 and less capable vehicles, as those are the ones that are even LESS likely to frequently pull a trailer. IMO, most of the folks that buy a 350 buy it because they need some of that capability, not just because they like a truck.

Finally, some of the features that come with the back up assist, I do think make the truck more appealing than other brands. I do like the ability to set up multiple trailers. It's nice to have a separate settings for my flat bed vs boat vs 5th wheel, and not have to remember where I usually leave the gain set on the trailer brake control. I also like the cumulative mileage for each trailer, as well as the different lengths of blind spot that you can set up. To my knowledge, other manufacturers don't do that. So, you do in fact get more than just the back up assist.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" In a way this thread is kind of funny ..... we are all expert backer uppers yet the campgrounds and boat launches are full of people who haven't a clue how to back up a trailer."

I have two theories on that.
1) The people on this site are more experienced with trailers than the general public.

2) We remember other people's mistakes more than what they do right.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^I'm thinking the same way regarding back up assist having more appeal in the F150 market. I've noticed the odometer counter for the individual trailers on my truck's DIC and it really surprised me to see the high percentage of miles that my truck is used for towing. In fact I actually find it hard to believe the number. It has me wondering if there is a possibility that the odometer keeps counting after I've unhooked a trailer if I fail to select "no active trailer"?

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

" In a way this thread is kind of funny ..... we are all expert backer uppers yet the campgrounds and boat launches are full of people who haven't a clue how to back up a trailer."

I have two theories on that.
1) The people on this site are more experienced with trailers than the general public.

2) We remember other people's mistakes more than what they do right.

You might be right, on the other hand, you'd kind of expect the people on this site to have similar experience with trailers to those at the campgrounds and boat launches.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^I'm thinking the same way regarding back up assist having more appeal in the F150 market. I've noticed the odometer counter for the individual trailers on my truck's DIC and it really surprised me to see the high percentage of miles that my truck is used for towing. In fact I actually find it hard to believe the number. It has me wondering if there is a possibility that the odometer keeps counting after I've unhooked a trailer if I fail to select "no active trailer"?

Yes our "smart" trucks sometimes forget the trailer is disconnected.
There have been a few postings about that on the F150 forum site

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will say that when backing up I'm a lot better backing towards the passenger side and a bit awkward backing towards the drivers side which I rarely do, but every once in a while I'm forced to do it. When I built our shop to store our camper, I put garage doors on both ends so I can drive thru when putting it up.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Yes our "smart" trucks sometimes forget the trailer is disconnected.
There have been a few postings about that on the F150 forum site

My F150 will not quit counting miles for the trailer until I go into settings and select No Trailer. And, I have to be stopped to do this. Most of the time I unhitch I forget and don't remember until I am going somewhere and then can't change it because I am moving. It tells me that the trailer has been disconnected, it probably knows the from the light bulb monitor but that information is not shared with the data log for trailer. Really stupid! There is so much more that Ford could do to make their trailer towing software more useful than what my 2016 has. That is the type of stuff where Tesla crushes most other automotive companies.

My suggestions to Ford on how to improve the trailer towing software:
1) Remember settings for each trailer, like electric brake and use of tow/haul. Have loaded and unloaded settings for each trailer.
2) Remember data for calculating distance to empty for each trailer. And no trailer
3) Use throttle and brake response to verify trailer entries
4) Offer low/med/high for tow mode
5) When the trailer doesn't seem to be with you anymore ask you to confirm "NO TRAILER", or just go ahead and select that automatically.

Seriously, I can adjust brightness and color of ambient lighting while driving but I can't unselect the trailer until I come to a complete stop. How stupid!

* This post was edited 11/17/20 03:52pm by Groover *

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, have to ask, what's a FRED?

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^Freaking Ridiculous Electronic Device

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^Freaking Ridiculous Electronic Device

Close enough for a family site. LOL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pro trailer back up assist
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.