Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Pro trailer back up assist
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pro trailer back up assist

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I’m sure there is not a direct link from skin colour to driving skill. What happened around our area is that many unskilled people migrated into our province and soon learned that with little to no training anyone could get a class 1 license. With a class one you could get a decent job so in no time our roads were filled with semi drivers who really had no training or experience driving truck.

We have the same thing in Mississauga, funny thing is most get their practical test done far up north. There was a W5 show on people loading up cars with people getting their basic car licence and going up north because there's only one traffic light and no where to parallel park.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

I'm not going to watch a 30 minute video on the system. But I do have it on my Expedition MAX. I've set it up to work with both my boats. Only used it once - when I went out with a group of people, and no one was comfortable backing up the trailer to retrieve the boat at the launch ramp.

The system worked well enough to have someone with limited experience successfully back down the boat ramp.

Spend anytime at a boat ramp (or honestly a campground), and you quickly see there is a real need for a product like this.

Why a limited experienced driver backing at the dock, I value my equipment more. First vehicle was 1885 and people have been backing them since, if you can't back without this you need more practice. Why do the manufactures think we need more trinkets? How many semis are on the road and they do not have backup assist. My backup assistant rides shotgun and watches as I back and lets me know I need to adjust. Simple but a little higher maintenance with food, cloths, housing, etc, but way better company.

LOL. Why a limited experienced driver backing up at the dock? Because it was one of my customers. Who doesn't go with me regularly (probably the 2nd or 3rd time). And he has no need in his everyday life to back up a trailer.

Why do manufacturers think we need more trinkets? One, because it is profitable for them. Two, because many people can't back up. Lots of folks out there that rarely if ever pull trailers. This is a great system for them.

How many semis are on the road without backup assist? Probably all of them. And they are driven by professional drivers. Hardly the same market as the half ton (or even HD market).

Are you the same guy who says we don't need power windows? Or power brakes? GET OFF MY LAWN! [emoticon]

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

I'm not going to watch a 30 minute video on the system. But I do have it on my Expedition MAX. I've set it up to work with both my boats. Only used it once - when I went out with a group of people, and no one was comfortable backing up the trailer to retrieve the boat at the launch ramp.

The system worked well enough to have someone with limited experience successfully back down the boat ramp.

Spend anytime at a boat ramp (or honestly a campground), and you quickly see there is a real need for a product like this.

How many semis are on the road and they do not have backup assist.
I often have to receive trucks at work... So I get to watch a lot of truck drivers back into the docks. It is amazing to me how many struggle with this.... Perhaps they should target the semi market for this "trinket"

That's actually funny. I got my CDL by taking a collage coarse. The instructor had us backing what could have been a stock car race track. Once we got proficient going clock wise he had us reverse directions. The only person in the class that didn't have an issue day one was a local rancher. Like the kid above he had been backing equipment since he was a kid. He ended up helping those that had trouble because he didn't need the time behind the wheel. Everyone in the class was able to back and parallel park to either side. The school trucks had to be backed into a garage at night, all done by the students.

My very first "long haul" was in school from NM to Salt Lake city to pickup a dinosaur for a museum the school was opening. Made great conversation at the truck stops, been driving so long my first load was a dinosaur and I had pictures to prove it. [emoticon]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been backing up trailers for over 40 years yet I like the feature when towing small trailers that have their axle close to your hitch. It really does a nice job keeping the trailer straight behind you on long backups. Without it the trailer starts to move left or right before you see it in your mirrors so your constantly counter steering. With longer trailers I still prefer the hand on the bottom of the wheel method.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it somewhat challenging to back my motorcycle trailer up when it is hooked up behind my 5th wheel. The motorcycle trailer is not only short it is also narrower than my 5ver. I have to sort of imagine how it is moving back there because if I wait for it to come into view in my mirror before steering I might not be able to adjust quick enough. If the Ford system could be used for this application I’d be excited about it. A camera mounted on my fiver is what I need.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

My very first "long haul" was in school from NM to Salt Lake city to pickup a dinosaur for a museum the school was opening. Made great conversation at the truck stops, been driving so long my first load was a dinosaur and I had pictures to prove it. [emoticon]

THAT is GREAT!! [emoticon] LOL!!

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Why do manufacturers think we need more trinkets? One, because it is profitable for them. Two, because many people can't back up. Lots of folks out there that rarely if ever pull trailers. This is a great system for them.

One of the reasons I'm asking how useful people are finding this technology is that I am looking at the differences between what Ram offers vs Ford. Because I generally don't keep my trucks that long I wondered if, 3 or 4 years down the road, selling a Ford with back up assist would be an easier sell than a truck without it. So far it seems that very few people see much value in it. In a way this thread is kind of funny ..... we are all expert backer uppers yet the campgrounds and boat launches are full of people who haven't a clue how to back up a trailer.[emoticon]

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

I’m sure there is not a direct link from skin colour to driving skill. What happened around our area is that many unskilled people migrated into our province and soon learned that with little to no training anyone could get a class 1 license. With a class one you could get a decent job so in no time our roads were filled with semi drivers who really had no training or experience driving truck.

We have the same thing in Mississauga, funny thing is most get their practical test done far up north. There was a W5 show on people loading up cars with people getting their basic car licence and going up north because there's only one traffic light and no where to parallel park.

When I got my CDL, 30 years ago, I had to take a one day air brake course that ended with a written exam. After getting my air brake endorsement I drove a semi for the first time in my life, 7 miles down the road to the license issuing office and did my driving test .... 1/2 hour later I walked out with a class 1 license. They very recently changed things here that now getting a class one is very involved.

Edit: Actually when I took my drivers exam part of the test involved backing your rig around a 90 degree corner on your blind side. Some time later the test got even easier. They ended up dropping that part of the exam because so many people were failing the test on account of not being able to back up around a corner.

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

One of the reasons I'm asking how useful people are finding this technology is that I am looking at the differences between what Ram offers vs Ford. Because I generally don't keep my trucks that long I wondered if, 3 or 4 years down the road, selling a Ford with back up assist would be an easier sell than a truck without it. So far it seems that very few people see much value in it. In a way this thread is kind of funny ..... we are all expert backer uppers yet the campgrounds and boat launches are full of people who haven't a clue how to back up a trailer.[emoticon]

It would add no value to me if I was buying your used truck, even though I've used it so don't let the resale value of any gizmos sway you.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

If you change cars often, another idea you might want to think about, applies to all the FREDs on vehicles. What will sell better, 1 that never had the FRED, or 1 that has it, but it doesn't work?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pro trailer back up assist
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.