Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I got my new gas light.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I got my new gas light.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Those were in almost every camper made years ago...Can't tell you how many of the glass domes I have broke because I forgot to secure them for washbordy roads..lol..Nobody died that I know of from using them for many many years...I wish they were an option as well as the old hand water pump by the sink and the forced air furnace without a blower...

Nice Specta...

I thought blower was involved in the definition of forced air furnace?
One thing that is missing from my brother's TT is the factory installed wood burning stove.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think every cabin in the woods in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine has those gas lights.

My friend's cabin in Vermont has them - on a cold morning (similar to previously posted) you turn on all the gas lights and in just a few minutes the cabin warms up.

Fresh air should always be allowed into your camper, cabin, or home. Always allow for ventilation!

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

This lamp is rated to burn around 2000 BTU/hour, or around 2 pounds of propane for 24 hours, which is around a half gallon, so a bit more than a dollar's worth of propane to run it for 24 hours.

Interesting, thank you.

I put some LED lights in my newer TT and to me they produce a weird light and I don't care for it.

The single biggest reason I bought this gas light is because of the ambiance that it produces while camping.

They're not for everyone but if you've ever had one then you certainly understand why I wanted one in my TC.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

Fresh air should always be allowed into your camper, cabin, or home. Always allow for ventilation!

I always cracked open the closest window to the light open for it to draw air from.

I've heard they are used inside lots of cabins out in the woods.

They don't replace a furnace but they do produce quite a bit of heat.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like it more on the outside but I imaging it would get broke pretty quick. I remember having them when I was young, hope you bought a lot of the filiment bags [emoticon] we were replacing them pretty often as they get brittle then the bumps break them. they worked a lot better in cabins.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

sd1209

Elko, Nv & SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The older I get the more I like old stuff......I understand your motivation Specta......Turn it up on a cold morning and enjoy.....

Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv and San Diego, Ca
2017 Lance 1172
2016 F350 dually
2010 Jeep Wrangler

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

I would like it more on the outside but I imaging it would get broke pretty quick. I remember having them when I was young, hope you bought a lot of the filiment bags [emoticon] we were replacing them pretty often as they get brittle then the bumps break them. they worked a lot better in cabins.

Steve

I got extras and an extra globe.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sd1209 wrote:

The older I get the more I like old stuff......I understand your motivation Specta......Turn it up on a cold morning and enjoy.....

Thanks Steve and me too liking the "older stuff". [emoticon]

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So it is nostalgia thing?
Years ago, I had gasoline powered lamp.
It was original cool-miners light, what was cool as it had self-igniter (rare 40 years ago) and flame had double steel mesh around, so any methane presence would be indicated by internal blows, but without igniting gas around.
It was cool as hell, but over the years its practicality diminished and finally it ended in the garbage.
So back to my question. Why not slap couple of LED panels inside the old fixture and have it all without maintenance hassle and without endangering your life?

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I thought blower was involved in the definition of forced air furnace?

They used to have just a furnace without a blower that forced air out, kinda like a catalytic heater,that had no blower or electricity involved..The thermostat was numbers on the dial..LOL..When the number on the dial reached it's temperature,it went to just the pilot until it needed more heat...

The older campers had the propane lights/hand water pump/forced air furnaces(without blowers) etc because most only had one battery and RVing was nothing like it is today..

Old school wasn't so bad and everyone lived that followed instructions,just as today..LOL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I got my new gas light.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.