Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Added a new battery monitor...(Aili)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Added a new battery monitor...(Aili)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know which Walmart battery the OP has.

I have an Interstate SRM-29 (as marked on it) that has the same specs, size and weight as the SRM-31 seen on-line. Mine is 60 lbs on bathroom scale, marked 675, 845, and that 210, but no AH shown.

This one on-line seems to be the same specs as my SRM-29

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/int........9pfbuntrstt31dcbfel/19pfbuntrstt31dcbfel

It has 210 minutes RC and says here it is 98AH (but they have another 31 T-something that is given as having 130AH. Strange.)

My old Walmart marine/rv 27DC had 180 min RC and was marked 120AH, but that turned out to be the 1 amp, not the 20 hr rate.

I doubt that the OP's Walmart "122ah" batts are more AH at the 20 hr rate than the 31 above at 98AH, but who knows unless the OP tells us what he has there?

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Don't know which Walmart battery the OP has.

I have an Interstate SRM-29 (as marked on it) that has the same specs, size and weight as the SRM-31 seen on-line. Mine is 60 lbs on bathroom scale, marked 675, 845, and that 210, but no AH shown.

This one on-line seems to be the same specs as my SRM-29

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/int........9pfbuntrstt31dcbfel/19pfbuntrstt31dcbfel

It has 210 minutes RC and says here it is 98AH (but they have another 31 T-something that is given as having 130AH. Strange.)

My old Walmart marine/rv 27DC had 180 min RC and was marked 120AH, but that turned out to be the 1 amp, not the 20 hr rate.

I doubt that the OP's Walmart "122ah" batts are more AH at the 20 hr rate than the 31 above at 98AH, but who knows unless the OP tells us what he has there?

The two 12v batteries I have in my RV are these:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lead-Acid-Marine-RV-Deep-Cycle-Battery-Group-Size-29DC-12V-845-MCA/20531543

It states "122AH", but honestly I don't have a good understanding of what they are actually measuring to come up with that. I suspect it's a bit of marketing liberty they are taking to pull in those of us who don't know any better (lol...).

I do find them to be a good value though, no? Especially if I install some solar so that they are almost always getting charged back up to 100%. I've used them for the last 3 years on a couple different RVs and haven't really noticed any negative effect.

Question: If you had these batteries, what would YOU consider the AH rating to be (...as it pertains to programming your Aili or equivalent battery monitor)? The Aili battery monitor I have required that I "tell it" how large my battery bank is in amp-hours. From there it can constantly display what my battery % is (...kind of like a fuel gauge for your batteries). I'm guessing I will be okay if I go with 200AH as my battery bank capacity. That way, it will hit 50% after 100 amp hours and I (or whoever is using my RV) will know that it's time to charge the batteries.

Thanks!
Chris

San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lea........ery-Group-Size-29DC-12V-845-MCA/20531543

The photos show an 860 and an 830 MCA for that "845" Anyway, one photo of the top of the 830 says in a red patch, "115AH at the 20hr rate"

So your 845 MCA ought to have the same red patch with maybe "122AH at the 20hr rate" in it?

Beats me how that 845MCA at 58.7 lbs can be 122AH when the 59.7lb Interstate one is 98AH.

When you get your monitor going, you can get the battery down to 50% as seen on your hydrometer, about 1.200, and by resting voltage around 12.1-12.2, and then charge it up and see how many AH it will take to be full (as seen on the hydrometer at 1.280 ish) and double those AH.

Trouble with that is heat loss on the recharge, if the monitor has the right allowance for that. Better to have it full and then discharge it over a 10 hr period at its 20 hr rate--use 5 amps for assumed 100AH-- then when at 1.200 SG, stop and wait for an hour, check voltage is about 12.1-12.2 and then double those AH. No heat loss on dischargeto skew the results, but it takes ten hours.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 01:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My monitor is not a Trimetric,
It counts the Amp hrs removed from the capacity that has been set, it displays
Amp hrs remaining
% of capacity remaining
Battery voltage
Amp rate plus or minus
Wattage being used or charging
Has a low voltage protection setting, that can control a relay, use it for an alarm or use it to disconnect the battery bank, I do NOTuse that feature, but I might connect it to an alarm of some kind
It does not do a needless auto reset like the Trimetric, and I have never tried to do a minus count with it
And yes sometimes the next day after heavy night time inverter and MW use, the full capacity count reaches 100% and there are still amps charging,
So I just keep charging until the amps In, reach the correct value 2 amps or less for this bank,
In the summer needing the generator for the A/C
The charge rate often reaches 0.5 to Zero amps in aka saturation full level max attainable

* This post was edited 11/17/20 10:28am by MrWizard *

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

My monitor is not a Trimetric,
It counts the Amp hrs removed from the capacity that has been set, it displays
Amp hrs remaining
% of capacity remaining
Battery voltage
Amp rate plus or minus
Wattage being used or charging
Has a low voltage protection setting, that can control a relay, use it for an alarm or use it to disconnect the battery bank, I do use that feature, but I might connect it to an alarm of some kind
It does not do a needless auto reset like the Trimetric, and I have never tried to do a minus count with it
And yes sometimes the next day after heavy night time inverter and MW use, the full capacity count reaches 100% and there are still amps charging,
So I just keep charging until the amps In, reach the correct value 2 amps or less for this bank,
In the summer needing the generator for the A/C
The charge rate often reaches 0.5 to Zero amps in aka saturation full level max attainable

I think he has the same one as me, doesnt show amps removed, but rather Battery %, total amp Hours remaining, voltage, and current if you set it to 1/2 of your battery capacity it will cause confusion especialy when it says 100% and is still charging depending which display you ue it on as iuf you are on % you cant see it is still charging. for me the easiest way is to remember with my LA batteries I dont want to go below 50% AH remailing or % of charge.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The main point is that you need to know what your monitor really does, whatever model you have, so you won't be misled by it. And cross-check whatever it says.

I like to compare the battery voltage in the morning when the furnace is not on at the time and no solar yet- the closest it can be to "resting voltage"- and the SOC that goes with that voltage, to the AH count.

I have an idea of the capacity of the battery bank at the time as adjusted for temperature and age etc, so I can do the math on AH down vs that est. capacity.

I do not use the %SOC the monitor could show--that is where folks go wrong, believing that % without cross-checking to see if it is reasonable.

If the two methods for calculating SOC "match" closely enough, all is good. If not, then the search starts for why not? Something somewhere is wrong. Voltage can be wrong due to a mystery load. AH can be wrong from the monitor not being reset properly, or a loose monitor display wire on the shunt getting the amps wrong. Something, somewhere.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should have mentioned, all of this info is on the display at the same time,
See everything at one glance,
No need to search thru each info display

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Capacity 96% , needs 8 more amphrs
Charging at 10.5 amps
Says it will need 34.as minutes to reach full at the current 10.5 charge rate
Charge rate will decrease/taper and it will take more time to reach 100%

* This post was last edited 11/17/20 12:04pm by MrWizard *   View edit history

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

I should have mentioned, all of this info is on the display at the same time,
See everything at one glance,
No need to search thru each info display

[image]

Capacity 96% , needs 8 more amphrs
Charging at 10.5 amps
Says it will need 34.as minutes to reach full at the current 10.5 charge rate
Charge rate will decrease/taper and it will take more time to reach 100%

dont need to search at all. one button toggels between two things another button toggels bettween the other two. I dont mind the looks of the one you have either , can you turn off the back lighting on it? I hate things glowing in the rv at night.

Steve

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It can be changed to a white Brighter background,
But you can just unplug from the 5v USB to turn off the display/settings control,
The main module at the sensing install location aka batteries, will keep right on working, and the correct data will be displayed when the inside module is powered up in the morning,
For me, always on is normal operation, if I'm up for any reason, a glance at the display informs me of the batteries status & health

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Added a new battery monitor...(Aili)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.