cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salt Lake to Albuquerque on a 40 Pusher then to Florida.

shft22
Explorer
Explorer
I am picking up a new to me 40ft pusher in Salt Lake City and driving it to South Florida.
One route option, is to head south on US-191 to Monticello, UT, then US-491 to Shiprock, NM, then US-64/550 to Albuquerque, NM connect to I-40 and work my way East. This is about an 8/9 hour drive just to get to Albuquerque.Plan then would be to overnight somewhere in Albuquerque.

For what I have been able to gather these are good quality roads, so I am not to worry about that part of it. My concern is around security if we have to stop for any reason, I have heard, on other sites, that crime in this area can be a problem. Also it looks like these roads are very desolated, are they well traveled? Is there help in case I have mechanical issues, how about fuel.

Are rest stops/truck stops safe on I-40 for overnight?

My other option is to go east on I-70 to Denver and continue east, but this may not be a good option do to weather.
45 REPLIES 45

shft22
Explorer
Explorer
Made it home no issues, over 2600 miles in 4 days.

We basically stayed within the interstate system for the most part,

We headed on I-70 east thru Colorado, in Kansas we had serious head wind and it was forecasted to get to 13F ahead of us, so we decided to head south. So we go on I-135 to I-35 South, to OK-412 and connected to 351 this go us to I-40.
We stayed on I-40 east until Memphis, worst road of the trip I-40 thru Arkansa.
We then got on I-22 to Birmingham, I-20 to Atlanta connecting to I-75 south to FL Turnpike and Home in South Florida.

All excellent road, except I-40 thru Arkansa, lots of truck, construction narrow shoulders and crappy rest stops.
Best rest stops Kansas, on I-70, Colorado wasn't bad either, just noisy mostly because of where we parked.

thank you all for your help and guidance, it was a long trip, and my first in such a large vehicle, but will do it again no question.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
US 550 is a mighty fine highway, no issues. There are not a lot of services between Bloomfield to Albuquerque so make sure you have plenty of fuel. There are places to get fuel, of course, but I prefer fresh fuel from high volume sellers.

Just me, personally, but I'd take I-40 from Albuquerque towards Amarillo, jump off onto US 287u (very good road) towards Dallas-Fort Worth. I'd cut just south of DFW to miss that mess. From there you could work your way down to I-10, or just pickup I-20 eastbound to Shreveport LA and head to FL.

Best wishes to you, have a safe and enjoyable trip.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
You should be good from here on with route options available if there is weather.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
shft22 wrote:
So far so good. We left Salt Lake mid afternoon thursday and made it to Crescent Junction rest area with no issues, very nice ride down 191. This was a very good road to start to understand the rigs road behavior, she feel agile and very well behaved for her weight and size.

We did an overnight at Crescent red stop and from there we headed east on I-70, oh wow what a beautiful drive, this would definitely be worth it and a must do if you can handle the high passes and steep descents.

We had no issues with either, I had driven these passes before on a car, but on a big RV is a complete different experience, the rig handle them very well. I keep the speed slow as to not over abuse the CAT C-7 and did the same on the descends, no drama either way. I do have to say the road around these areas can use some repaving, but I imagine with the snow and trucks running chains that is a constant job.

We made into Kansas and are overnighting at an Rest stop by Colby. This is a very nice place, it has an area just for RV, that is a loop around some tres, it is away from the trucks and very secluded.

So far we have put a bit over 800 miles and loving the drive, weather has been perfect, the roads good for the most part and we are driving forward with a smile in our faces.

Thanks for the up date - :C - Roads in Kansas and Missouri are the best in the Country, enjoy the drive. (IMHO)
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

shft22
Explorer
Explorer
So far so good. We left Salt Lake mid afternoon thursday and made it to Crescent Junction rest area with no issues, very nice ride down 191. This was a very good road to start to understand the rigs road behavior, she feel agile and very well behaved for her weight and size.

We did an overnight at Crescent red stop and from there we headed east on I-70, oh wow what a beautiful drive, this would definitely be worth it and a must do if you can handle the high passes and steep descents.

We had no issues with either, I had driven these passes before on a car, but on a big RV is a complete different experience, the rig handle them very well. I keep the speed slow as to not over abuse the CAT C-7 and did the same on the descends, no drama either way. I do have to say the road around these areas can use some repaving, but I imagine with the snow and trucks running chains that is a constant job.

We made into Kansas and are overnighting at an Rest stop by Colby. This is a very nice place, it has an area just for RV, that is a loop around some tres, it is away from the trucks and very secluded.

So far we have put a bit over 800 miles and loving the drive, weather has been perfect, the roads good for the most part and we are driving forward with a smile in our faces.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
It's Friday which route did you choose??
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
shft22 wrote:
The is trip is this week, the plan is to start driving Thursday.
So far it looks like the weather will cooperate, if it holds I may stay on I-70 all the way to St. Louis, then work my way south on I-24 picking up I-75 in Chattanooga. Of course I have to be conscious of Atlanta traffic, timing here will be critical.
Thank you everyone, you guys have provided lots of insight and details.

Go south on I-65 from Nashville to Montgomery. Then US-231 south thru Dothan to I-10. Avoid Chattanooga & Atlanta.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickdog wrote:
smarty wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Don't sweat the indians. I'd be more concerned about the NM Gov. closing down everything, which she just did. Avoid NM at all cost.
They are termed native americans not indians
How can they be native Americans when there was no America. I prefer first nation peoples though that is a misnomer as well.
Native Americans are considered native to the continents of North America or South America. The American continents have existed for many millions of years.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
might check weather, big storm brewing in the east.

It is a long ways around, buy Las Vagas looks good
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=39.61;-104.68;7&l=temperature-2m

I use ventusky.com

Easy more than just wind. 🙂

MAP - MAP
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

dedmiston
Great tip.

Sorry to hijack, but do either of you know the difference between the Windfinder app and Windfinder Pro? The Pro version costs $7.99.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

shft22
Explorer
Explorer
I use windfinder frequently for boating, didn't think of using it for this trip. It shows the area has crazy winds today and early tomorrow but it all dies down Thursday/Friday, so wind may not be a big problem. I will keep I-80 as an option if there is bad weather on the I-70 corridor.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tom/Barb wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

If the weather is good, I80 to Laramie to 287 to I25 would be better than I70 across. Lots of choices on how to proceed once you get to Denver.

I 80 has less long steep grades, than 70 .

east of Rawlings you are on the down hill slope. turn south at Sioux Falls.

Yes, but check the winds. We went thru WB a little over a month ago an the winds were wild. Two days we pulled off early because it just wasn't safe. Been watching since and 30+ mph winds seem typical.

Windfinder.com (no affiliation) is really nice for checking out the wind conditions along a route.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

If the weather is good, I80 to Laramie to 287 to I25 would be better than I70 across. Lots of choices on how to proceed once you get to Denver.

I 80 has less long steep grades, than 70 .

east of Rawlings you are on the down hill slope. turn south at Sioux Falls.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.