cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any deals?

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
Currently I'm looking at Toy Haulers (very different designs - one IBEX and one Grand momentum 28G) and it's been a few years since I've been shopping.. I know Covid put a hurt on the the inventory and deals but can you still get 30% off MSRP like the 'old days'? Just wondering what everyone has been seeing...
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G
22 REPLIES 22

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
pulpwood007 wrote:
FlashBuddy wrote:
Background: Just purchased a 2021 TT.
My shopping experience: Found the best deals from wholesalers, but
RV Trader was my go-to place to compare new/used rigs.

What exactly is a "wholesaler" ? I thought all manufacturers only sold through retail dealers.

You are correct. The "wholesaler" tag is a marketing term. But, like RV Wholesalers for example, they deal in high volume sales, therefore getting better pricing from the manufacturer.

Exactly, a marketing ploy. However, there used to be some internet based dealers that were great.

About 12 years ago I purchased a Crossroads Cruiser from one of these dealers in Ohio. It was 1000 mile drive from my home in Texas. Price was about $7K less than the best deal I could find anywhere locally. They also could offer a better price because of their low freight cost from the factory (being very close). All units were special order so they had no money tied up in inventory. Folks willing to travel got a great deal.

All that stopped a couple of years later when local dealers started losing business because of pricing, and having customers buy at these remote locations and then bring them into local dealers wanting warranty work. Manufacturers started cracking down on internet low pricing, and as a result, we also now have policies (supported by the manufacturers) where non-selling dealers do not voluntarily have to work on trailers.

All good things must come to an end..............

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Vanished wrote:
It took a good bit of negotiations thru several dealers, but I landed on a Momentum 28G locally for a price I'm happy with that I'm picking up next week. Thanks for the input!

I just looked up the floorplan. That's a real beauty. Nice.

What kind of toys do you plan to haul? It looks like there's plenty of space from front to back, as long as your toys aren't too wide for the slide.

Thanks.. We wanted the open floor plan for our Kayaks but the toy hauler for my Indian Springfield. We also have a Rincon as well that I like to take out.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
The RV Business Magazine articles must be like published fishing reports, old. All the RV dealers in our area had empty lots all summer but are now wall to wall new units, squeezed in like valet parking.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

dedmiston
Vanished wrote:
It took a good bit of negotiations thru several dealers, but I landed on a Momentum 28G locally for a price I'm happy with that I'm picking up next week. Thanks for the input!

I just looked up the floorplan. That's a real beauty. Nice.

What kind of toys do you plan to haul? It looks like there's plenty of space from front to back, as long as your toys aren't too wide for the slide.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Vanished wrote:

Congratulations ! As long as YOU are HAPPY with the price, that is all that matters.!!

Happy Camping ! Stay Safe

Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
pulpwood007 wrote:
FlashBuddy wrote:

What exactly is a "wholesaler" ? I thought all manufacturers only sold through retail dealers.

You are correct. The "wholesaler" tag is a marketing term. But, like RV Wholesalers for example, they deal in high volume sales, therefore getting better pricing from the manufacturer.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
FlashBuddy wrote:

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions and input... I'll keep shopping around till I find a deal I'm good with.

You can look at Susquehanna RV, they have 2 facilities, 1 in Selingsgrove, and 1 in Bloomsburg.. they are a family owned facility and treat people fair..

I purchased my last Redwood from the Selingsgrove store and it was a good experience. Although they do not stock the manufacturers yu stated, they may have something you like..

ON edit... They are showing a few 2020 fifth wheels at 35% off MSRP.

here - - Susquehanna RV
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my 2019 in April 2018.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My comments in red..

Vanished wrote:
I appreciate the insight and suggestions so far... Luckily I don't 'need' to buy one but with 'some' inventory back on the lots and minimal 'sales' as winter is approaching in this region I was hoping for a little better pricing.

You will not find "discounted" pricing due to the season, just does not happen.

While it is "winter" in PA right now and the average daily temp in PA during November is in the 40s, however in Florida, Texas, Arizona, ect their average temps ARE considerably higher during Winter and those are the places a lot of folks "flock to" (AKA "Snowbirds"). In the summer time folks from south often migrate NORTH to get away from the southern heat..

RV dealers in the KNOW THIS. They don't panic at the end of a "season" and create huge blowout prices now days.

You can't base RV prices on the old retail model of say Holiday supplies from the past where stores would have a basement bargain bin pricing sale to get rid of Holiday stuff that did not sell. Even that model has been dead for years, now days retailer remove the Holiday stuff from shelves and it gets put into a backroom or even a semi trailer until the next yrs Holiday season.. They would rather sit on the inventory even tho it may cost some carrying costs rather than take a huge discount to unload it quickly.

After season sales have been shelved for yrs for most everything except perhaps perishable seasonal food items which cannot be held til the next yr.

It's not as much as what I can afford (I'm shopping apples and oranges) but moreso about getting a 'decent' deal to have equity in case I need to join the thousands of people unloading the unit next summer IF the economy crashes... I have been watching used units as well and still shopping around, was just curious what others expectations were.

From the purest sense of "finances" there is ZERO "EQUITY" in ANY RV, PERIOD.

It IS a loss the second you sign the paperwork to buy it and all the way to the point you sign the paperwork to sell it.

A RV is a "recreational vehicle", it is a TOY, it is not a appreciating type of asset and will never be worth more than what you paid for it.

If you are looking for "equity" in a RV, you are going to be extremely disappointed. Equity is never the reason you buy a RV, period.

"Equity" means you have an INCREASE in value of your asset over what you paid for it. There are very few items in life that actually can predictably have some increase in value or "Equity" and RVs are not on that list.

If you are concerned about what happens if the economy crashes and if you are going to get your money back out of a RV (selling) then a NEW RV is not for you. In this case, buy USED and BUY IT CHEAP, BUY IT FOR CASH, do not take out a loan.. Then you won't be upside down on a loan which makes unloading it far easier to do..

With TOYs like a RV if you cannot afford to lose money, you should skip owning a RV.

I would be a little concerned about the warranty aspect of buying wholesale, so that's why I've been trying to work with our local dealers. I also understand the manufacturing complexity and increased costs on EVERYTHING in life now (bikes, boats, RV's, vehicles, lumber, houses, etc). Just too bad our pays didn't go up like that! ๐Ÿ˜‰ But it sounds like I'm on the right path and deals are simply harder to come by than the last few RV's I've bought... The most annoying part so far is so many 'contact us for pricing' on all the ads!

Buying new just for a "warranty" is pretty much like tossing a lot of money away. Getting warranty work done on a RV can be an extremely frustrating hassle.. You have to drag it back to the dealer, they look at it, order parts and it SITS on the dealer lot until the parts come in and then it may take time for the dealer to schedule the repair.. You can easily be without your new RV for MONTHS..

The "Contact for Pricing" is nothing new, car dealers HAVE done the same thing since the first vehicle came to be, this is also pretty much a standard business model for a considerable amount of products and businesses..

This practice is even more common now days when looking up stuff on the Internet.. They WANT your phone, email and other contact info so they can spam the heck out of you and when you are not looking they will sell that info to other businesses.. YOU BECOME and are the "product" and the sale is just a small part of the deal.. YOUR contact information can be worth more than the value of the sale.

On edit..

My comments in red are also the main reason that I recently retired at age 55, I spent peanuts on non essential items like a RV, bought old used ones, fixed them up and then used them for camping.

My last two vehicles I bought were 2019 and 2020 F250s to replace older high mileage vehicles and paid CASH (NO LOANS)for both of those vehicles..

Buy a RV because you wish to go camping in one, pay only what you can afford to lose, expect zero monetary value back if you need to sell.

I am not "rich" by any means and my income was most likely a lot less than most folks on this forum.. I was very smart in what I spent on, when spent and didn't waste money I couldn't afford to lose on toys like a RV.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan wrote:
Dealer inventories remain low because the factories can't keep up. Dealers don't want to sell everything because then they have nothing to show new buyers.

This sounds like the old joke about "we lose money on every sale but we make up for it on volume". If they can make money, they will sell it. The deals they offer may not be as good but they will sell it.

Also, there is a difference between seasons. They can sell a 2020 model right now as brand new and most buyers won't question it (2021 models are actually on the lot similar to cars). If they hold it till spring, not only do they have to cover the financing over the 6 months, it will be a year old as far a buyers are concerned, even if it has full warranty, so buyers will expect a discount or they will want a 2021 model.

We actually just bought a 2021 a couple months ago. While not normally one to go new, our rig had some issues and with the trade in (not hiding the issues), we felt it was a good deal.

The pre-trade-in price was $17k on a $33k MSPR, so yes, they are still discounting.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vanished wrote:
It's not as much as what I can afford (I'm shopping apples and oranges) but more so about getting a 'decent' deal to have equity in case I need to join the thousands of people unloading the unit next summer IF the economy crashes...

From my experience it's not possible to ever get a good enough deal on a NEW unit so you don't lose money selling it in just a year. Not just RVs, but cars, appliances, etc. The deal you got the next guy will get too, so your used unit will never be cheap enough compared to a new one.

If you're concerned about having to sell next year, then I would limit your shopping to used units where the first guy has taken the big depreciation hit.