Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Escape Hatch Condensation
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Escape Hatch Condensation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

stickdog wrote:

Quit breathing.

Did my wife tell you to post this?

LOL too funny [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Heki has a screen that stop moist air from causing the frame to sweat. Unless it is not sealing well, I would think your vinyl cover would act the same way. Another option would be to tape a piece of plastic sheeting to the vent to seal moist air from the frame.

Regardless venting moisture out of the RV is a big issue in cold weather. You need some ventilation. Also you need to vent out moisture from cooking and showers.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+1 on venting. The condensation on the aluminum is a symptom, not the problem.

I have added memory foam and a down pad on top of the mattress pad. Under them I have an electric blanket (we are not sleeping directly on the blanket). So when we are hooked up, the bed stays nice and toasty warm. This allows me to have the vent over the bed open. The air cools off, but it does keep the camper from filling with stale moist air.

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my first experiences with truck camper camping was unpleasant: it was a cold rainy night in the Pac NW; and I was getting "rained on" by our ceiling vent. I wrongly assumed it was leaking, but it was simply condensation. After getting some advice on this forum, I learned that no matter what the weather, that vent needs to be cracked to allow moisture created by us simply breathing, to escape. My current truck camper just got a new Fantastic Fan installed, to deal with any possible condensation problems.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish they made a small build in unit dehumidifier. One that self drains so you don't have to empty the tray all the time. Now this idea has gone on for a long time really, but no one builds one for RV's unless I missed it.

Just did a search for '12 volt dehumidifiers' and a few came up.... not too expensive, they also help clean the air of mold and bacteria laden moisture. Seems like a good product to look into.

* This post was edited 11/21/20 11:33am by covered wagon *

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have small dehumidifier that runs on 9vdc. It sits in the dry bath and runs anytime we have shore power. I didn't look into 12vdc model and just looked for something compact that could run for a couple days without emptying.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Escape Hatch Condensation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.